DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why I probably won't buy the FPV drone

When you start talking FPV drones... you are opening a door into a whole new world. There are racing drones. Freestyle drones. Cruising drones. Cinematic. Whoops. Tiny. Micro. Fixed wing. Heli. Quad. Octo.... It's nearly an endless list.

The price point is not really out of line for the DJI FPV. Considering that the $1,300.00 includes a controller and HD goggles... and a 4K camera - It's a decent price.

Let's say you were going to build your own "cheap" 5" freestyle, analog, quad. Say $250 for the quad parts and electronics. $200 for a controller. $150 for decent box goggles. At least $100 for tools and misc for construction. And, maybe $200 worth of batteries and a charger. So about $900. Obviously, some of these are sunk costs - but will be cash outlay for the first one.

If instead it was a digital, HD with a 4k camera (no gimbal) - you'll need to add at least a couple hundred for the goggles. Maybe $100 for a module for the controller. At least another 100 for the camera. Now you are over that $1,300 price - and you probably are looking at less than 10 minutes flight time.

I've been doing a lot of cogitating about this.

I can't get past the feeling that the DJI FPV is just to squishy - and relatively hard to repair. Bad combination.

Reactions: Barbara
Had my first flight down the River , I felt like a butterfly on top of a Catapillar it was a blast, I thought I would loose signal going around the River bends , I had my Girl Friend who has never flown, fly it back now she wants her own. Putting her in the Hot Seat with the googles strapped on was a game changer for her. She never stopped laughing ..

I have a small video to post of my first 10 minutes of flight.

Brave first video...... specially going past those branches. I'd have bottled
it and gone strait up above all the obstacles ? ????????

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: zeusfl
When you start talking FPV drones... you are opening a door into a whole new world. There are racing drones. Freestyle drones. Cruising drones. Cinematic. Whoops. Tiny. Micro. Fixed wing. Heli. Quad. Octo.... It's nearly an endless list.

The price point is not really out of line for the DJI FPV. Considering that the $1,300.00 includes a controller and HD goggles... and a 4K camera - It's a decent price.

Let's say you were going to build your own "cheap" 5" freestyle, analog, quad. Say $250 for the quad parts and electronics. $200 for a controller. $150 for decent box goggles. At least $100 for tools and misc for construction. And, maybe $200 worth of batteries and a charger. So about $900. Obviously, some of these are sunk costs - but will be cash outlay for the first one.

If instead it was a digital, HD with a 4k camera (no gimbal) - you'll need to add at least a couple hundred for the goggles. Maybe $100 for a module for the controller. At least another 100 for the camera. Now you are over that $1,300 price - and you probably are looking at less than 10 minutes flight time.

I've been doing a lot of cogitating about this.

I can't get past the feeling that the DJI FPV is just to squishy - and relatively hard to repair. Bad combination.
As you say ... the price point of the DJI FPV drone offering isn't overly high at all, it's pretty much on par with what you have to initially invest if you go with the digital FPV system (DJI FPV camera, DJI controller & DJI goggles) & add a ready to fly 4-5" quad from some of the more famous brands.

The difference going this route instead of buying into the DJI FPV drone kit ... is that very much of what you initially buy is reusable if you want to add another quad with a different flight characteristics ... batteries & chargers are generic as is a lot of the accessories you initially buy.

Furthermore a ordinary quad is possible to mod easily when it comes to weight & how they fly by just use different batteries.

-Want a sub 250g, lightening fast & poppy to zip around close & low with flips and rolls ... put on a 850mAh 120C battery & you need to catch your breath each 6-10 min anyhow & can then put in another battery.

-Want a relaxing cinematic flight with wide turns ... put on a LiIon pack with 3000mAh 30C ... & fly for 30min.

And when you push it too hard & go down ... buy a new set of props for $2, a new leg for $5 ... or a new camera for $20... all easily repairable in the field. But usually it's really not necessary to change any parts at all ... you just brush off the dirt from it & continue to fly.

Today it's a myth that you have to build your own quad & solder and fiddle with tunings & such ... it's also a myth that a ordinary quad doesn't have GPS support & RTH ... they can have this. Also a myth that you need to go full manual directly ... you have both Horizontal mode & Angle mode to start out with ... both will prevent the more difficult aspects about flying full manual (Acro).

Plain & simple ... going the "Ready to Fly" quad route instead of the DJI FPV drone kit, gives you more freedom for less money in the long run ...

Last edited:
As you say ... the price point of the DJI FPV drone offering isn't overly high at all, it's pretty much on par with what you have to initially invest if you go with the digital FPV system (DJI FPV camera, DJI controller & DJI goggles) & add a ready to fly 4-5" quad from some of the more famous brands.

The difference going this route instead of buying into the DJI FPV drone kit ... is that very much of what you initially buy is reusable if you want to add another quad with a different flight characteristics ... batteries & chargers are generic as is a lot of the accessories you initially buy.

Furthermore a ordinary quad is possible to mod easily when it comes to weight & how they fly by just use different batteries.

-Want a sub 250g, lightening fast & poppy to zip around close & low with flips and rolls ... put on a 850mAh 120C battery & you need to catch your breath each 6-10 min anyhow & can then put in another battery.

-Want a relaxing cinematic flight with wide turns ... put on a LiIon pack with 3000mAh 30C ... & fly for 30min.

And when you push it too hard & go down ... buy a new set of props for $2, a new leg for $5 ... or a new camera for $20... all easily repairable in the field. But usually it's really not necessary to change any parts at all ... you just brush off the dirt from it & continue to fly.

Today it's a myth that you have to build your own quad & solder and fiddle with tunings & such ... it's also a myth that a ordinary quad doesn't have GPS support & RTH ... they can have this. Also a myth that you need to go full manual directly ... you have both Horizontal mode & Angle mode to start out with ... both will prevent the more difficult aspects about flying full manual (Acro).

Plain & simple ... going the "Ready to Fly" quad route gives you more freedom for less money in the long run ...
No one really knows that until they get into into it. But they do now when DJI give the total price on a package. Wait until the see the prices on the replacement parts.

Reactions: vindibona1
No one really knows that until they get into into it....
Yes ... & that is why so many open their eyes for FPV now, credit to DJI for that. Most have thought & still think's that FPV is largely a DIY thing with only crappy picture quality analog systems ... but that was in the past.

Just a pity that so many jumps on the train just to discover later that they've been locked into a more expensive ecco-system then it had to be.

Brave first video...... specially going past those branches. I'd have bottled
it and gone strait up above all the obstacles ? ????????
The Video is really not telling of how dark it way flying , I thought it would loose connection going around the Third bend as low as i was but nothing happened. Today will take it down another 1/4 in the River in the day light. I really want the Googles for the other drones I have now. But I want these googles not the DJI white Square Frames.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on Water.

The Video is really not telling of how dark it way flying , I thought it would loose connection going around the Third bend as low as i was but nothing happened. Today will take it down another 1/4 in the River in the day light. I really want the Googles for the other drones I have now. But I want these googles not the DJI white Square Frames.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on Water.
Yeah that would be great to use the googles on our Mavics as well.
All the practice your get flying the new FPV will be handy for when
everything is FPV compatible. The White ones are a bit Craig David.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were having way to much Fun, I landed FNP in the Water with the New FNP Rescue Jackets and the LEDS really reflect some nice visuals . Very cool. Its got a great center of gravity that holds the camera way out of the water to push into the waves. Will post video soon, Will be leaving the batteries in the Water over night to see how resistant they are to water. So far were past the 3 Hour mark, and doing well ..

Once we get all the Gear made will do a full Submersion Test on the drone to see where the weak link is going to me , I dont have the heart to do it as its to much fun flying this :p

Also sign up to the FNP forum as they have a isolated thread for the DJI FNP flyers.

Email me if interested.
[email protected]

Screenshot 03-07-2021 19.12.33.jpg
Screenshot 03-07-2021 19.23.31.jpgScreenshot 03-07-2021 19.16.02.jpg

So if one wanted to dip a toes into FPV, how do you get a decent FPV drone that "cost less than $100"? Can you provide a shopping list?
Depends on your definition of decent. For me decent equals a quad that has the flexibility to make adjustments for your own personal flight preferences with selectable flight modes. It should be able to fly for around 5 minutes ona battery. be easily repaired without the need to take a new mortgage out on my house to pay for it and be bale to bounce from most "normal" FPV flight incidences (bumping into tress, branches, ground, wall and ceiling for example). So to answer your question, for indoor flying and outdoors on relatively quite days I have a Mobula6. US$99 on Amazon. Is compatible BETAFLIGHT for configuration flexibility and the new version I beleive does 1080P onboard recording. For a bit more outdoor flying I have the Larva X. Quite a bit more performance than the Mobula 6, definitely not an indoor quad. US$119 on Amazon. The last one is a bit more exepnsive at about US$180 being a GEPRC Skip HD 3. This one is a rocket with a 4S battery. The last 2 can be fitted with a TBS receiver for exceptional connection. I am using a Jumper T16 Pro radio (which I also use for my Fixed Wing RC Planes), about US$200 for the radio. I use Skyzone 03S HD goggles which again I use for ALL quads and some FPV fitted out fixed wings, cost US$280 approx. Total cost to get into FPV US$100 for the Mob 6, $200 for the radio, $280 for the goggles = US$580 for the first one (for me though it was $379 because I had the radio already for my fixed wing planes). The 2nd one cost me $119 and the 3rd cost me US$180 because i had the goggles and radio which are compatible with all 3 quads. If I break any of them it is easy to get parts and quite cheap, but they are pretty hard to break inthe first place. I can't see me paying out what DJI want for an FPV quad because I can't see it giving me anything these much much much cheaper quads can't do. If I want cinematic footage I will us my existing Mavic Air2 and get better video than the DJI FPV Quad because the air 2 has a 3 axis gimble and the FPV Quad has a single axis. Horses for courses and the DJI FPV product seems to not fit clearly into any category. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Tomk_
Had my first flight down the River , I felt like a butterfly on top of a Catapillar it was a blast, I thought I would loose signal going around the River bends , I had my Girl Friend who has never flown, fly it back now she wants her own. Putting her in the Hot Seat with the googles strapped on was a game changer for her. She never stopped laughing ..

I have a small video to post of my first 10 minutes of flight.

You sure had that thing "humming" down the river :p Looked like a first time pilot with a Mini :) Not that I would have done different with a new aircraft and maiden. Well I personally wouldn't have flown it over water...but you seem to have some weird attraction with water don't ya.

Reactions: Kilrah
... BECAUSE I SUCK AT FLYING FPV!

I mean, seriously, I have been practicing flying my Mini 2 around the local park clear of kids and cars and other living things, and no matter how slow I go I end up pointing right at a tree or getting way too near tree branches. I even gently caught a tree branch this afternoon thinking I had plenty of room. I have no idea from the screen how close is too close or not close enough.
I'd really like to be able to fly FPV competently even with GPS assist. I have no idea how these guys fly through small spaces at blistering speed but would be happy with 1/10th the FPV skill that some of these folks exhibit. That aside, I saw Ken Heron's review of the DJI FPV drone and wondered how many seconds it would take for me to burn $1300 into plastic crumbs?

Any tips on flying with your head in the screen and NOT on the drone (even those it is well in sight if you bother to look up)?

Practice practice practice. The advertisement videos look perfect because the DJI FPV is flown by professionals and expert drone engineers. I heard they were developing prototypes for this new drone since before 2019. So, the DJI pilots have had countless hours of flight practice with many trial and errors. But, they won’t show us that film.... Yes, for many people $1300 would be gone in seconds hehe. I can imagine most of the experienced pilots that got this drone have some form of insurance. (AirMap and DroneInsurance.com are places/apps where you can get insurance in seconds for any registered drone)
My best advice to get better is to imagine you are the drone FPV or not it helps. Flying really slow around obstacles and then by time gradually going faster helps with you knowing your drone. As for wearing the goggles... It is always advised to have a Visual Observer or “second pilot” to watch the drone and potential hazards.

... BECAUSE I SUCK AT FLYING FPV!

I mean, seriously, I have been practicing flying my Mini 2 around the local park clear of kids and cars and other living things, and no matter how slow I go I end up pointing right at a tree or getting way too near tree branches. I even gently caught a tree branch this afternoon thinking I had plenty of room. I have no idea from the screen how close is too close or not close enough.
I'd really like to be able to fly FPV competently even with GPS assist. I have no idea how these guys fly through small spaces at blistering speed but would be happy with 1/10th the FPV skill that some of these folks exhibit. That aside, I saw Ken Heron's review of the DJI FPV drone and wondered how many seconds it would take for me to burn $1300 into plastic crumbs?

Any tips on flying with your head in the screen and NOT on the drone (even those it is well in sight if you bother to look up)?
Ken has a few videos on the FPV. I he's feeling a little out of sorts after HIS first flight video. He did the FPV NO justice. He seemed to back-pedal a little in his next videos. I like his videos, but try Cpt. Drone's vids.

Ken has a few videos on the FPV. I he's feeling a little out of sorts after HIS first flight video. He did the FPV NO justice. He seemed to back-pedal a little in his next videos. I like his videos, but try Cpt. Drone's vids.
I saw Ken's videos including the one where he had FPV guys fying it. Their words pretty universally cite it as being "floaty". My conclusion based on the battery malfunction Ken had after a mild bump and just seeing how little bracking is involved, adding a gimbal would classify it as "fragile". The DJI FPV does have some advantages for some, which include being a bridge between a GPS drone and and FPV drone. But knowing DJI, if it does have Care/Refresh it's going to be expensive and the number of strikes will be more limited than the number of crashes for most over a time frame. I think, at this moment, were I going to get into FPV, my first starter FPV drone would be the Emax Babyhawk. It's got a carbon fiber frame should should be relatively indestructible compared to DJI's new FPV drone. It comes set up for DJI's transmitter, receiver and goggles. With all the necessary components I don't suspect it would be much cheaper than the DJI package, and would be missing the camera gimbal, but I think that would be a small sacrifice. I think an FPV drone that has any kind of acro needs to be more robust than what DJI has created in it's latest attempt at FPV. JMO/YMMV

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka