DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why iPhone or iPad??

TedS011

Reactions
Looking for you tech experts here. I am thinking about getting an iPad mini (wifi) for my Mavic - I would like a bigger screen. Without getting a data iPad, I know I will have to cache maps and I would lose some flying features (because iPad does not have data GPS). So, I had a thought; would if I bought a used iPhone 6S plus (bigger), from Craigslist, and not activate it. I would still cache maps BUT (and here's the question)...I am wondering if the phone will still link up to the sky? Thus allowing me to utilize flying features without spending monthly payments on a data iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: jointeffort
I have a company phone and the hotspot is disabled. The company gives us Verizon motif's for computer hotspots.

I think you could get an ipad mini 2 or 4 with wifi/cellular without buying/activating a cellular plan. The installed GPS will still work....i think.

I think you could get an ipad mini 2 or 4 with wifi/cellular without buying/activating a cellular plan. The installed GPS will still work....i think.
True, but it costs more to buy the cellular version of an iPad Mini without activating the cell service. That's exactly what I did with all of my iPad Minis though since I wanted to be able to have a GPS receiver in the iPad Mini when needed.

True, but it costs more to buy the cellular version of an iPad Mini without activating the cell service. That's exactly what I did with all of my iPad Minis though since I wanted to be able to have a GPS receiver in the iPad Mini when needed.
So this does work? I will get one used and not activate it. So msinger, you just cache maps then correct?

Yes -- the GPS is active even if the cellular service has not been setup. You will have to cache the maps if you want to see them in DJI GO. Or, you could tether a phone to your iPad Mini to share the Internet connection.

I'm currently running a non-active iPhone 6+ (also removed sim) and it works great. Can sync via wifi whenever you want. Also allows you to cache maps, etc... Also, have everything non-essential stripped out or turned off.

Last edited:
You can buy an iPad Mini 4 wifi+Cellular for cheaper than an iPhone 6. I picked up a used, like new one for $250. I use it just for the MP, definitely better to pay less and get a bigger screen.

I can't keep straight all the models (iPad Mini Pro Turbo Gold 2000 XT Deluxe, 2017 Edition with Elton John signature)...

... but wasn't the 6S the one everyone says gets sucked dry faster than Bella Lugosi's girlfriend?

Reactions: Brie
Just wondering. Is the cable that came with the MP long enough to reach the iPad Mini? I'm contemplating getting a iPad Mini too. As for the tablet support I'm looking at 3D-printing one. Saw some templated from thingiverse.com. Thanks

Just wondering. Is the cable that came with the MP long enough to reach the iPad Mini? I'm contemplating getting a iPad Mini too. As for the tablet support I'm looking at 3D-printing one. Saw some templated from thingiverse.com. Thanks
No. You're gonna want to buy a longer cable. A 12" lightning cable would be ideal.

Reactions: st_meow
Go to the refurbished section at Apple Store and pick up a 16gb mini2 and you'll have about the best price around along with above average customer service from Apple. The mini2 will run all the programs and 16gb is plenty for storage.

I quite like the GS Pro app which allows waypoints and that unfortunately isnt available on the iPhone ... I would also think that mapping a path with Litchi and Autopilot on an iPhone must be quite a challenge ...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem