DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is DJI holding back the Mavic 3 release?

If the anticipated Mavi 3 doesn’t run on the current ”Smart” controller, it will piss a lot of people off, including me.
I know right? I keep trying to shove DVD's into my VCR too...

Asking for something brand new to run on something that is a few years old is a valid hope, but expecting it to is unreasonable.

Now if you were asking for the MA2 or Air2 or maybe even the Air2S to run on the NEW smart controller...that seems like a far more reasonable request.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
If I had to guess I'd say it's a combination of pandemic, chip shortage, Mavic 2 sales remaining high for a long time, and the Air 2S doing a good portion of what the average user needs/wants.

Think about how long Ford made the old body Ranger without changing anything. Sales were still good, tooling was paid off....keep making it until sales drop.

I work in the car industry and have been to a meeting today regarding the chip shortage. The chip manufacturers are saying it could take up to 2 years to get back to normal and as an industry we have now been classed as a priority. That said we have only managed to secure guaranteed stock for the next 2 months. My point is it may take some time before DJI can guarantee enough stock to launch new models.

If the anticipated Mavi 3 doesn’t run on the current ”Smart” controller, it will piss a lot of people off, including me.
I believe the existing smart controller runs android so the fly app running on it wouldn't be a problem.

I don't believe the existing smart controller has occusync 3 though so I would be worried about that. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Any drone over 249 grams that has to be registered with the FAA and requires a registration number on the drone, in my mind, is not a toy, but for drones less than 250 grams, well, Dictionary.com says:

“Toy”: —noun

1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
  2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
  3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
  4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.
  5. something diminutive, especially in comparison with like objects.
… So, they sorta fit the bill ?
IMO it is obvious that the definition, while filling the space of the lexicon needed for a dictionary it does not tell the complete picture. [Toy] Status is clearly NOT DEFINED BY THE PRODUCT BUT DEFINED BY ACTUAL INTENT OF USE. That same Mini 2 which might be considered, by definition, a toy for some is a required work tool for others. By this definition, were I to buy an Inspire because I could and wanted to and just wanted to fly it to show off or just for fun without any serious intent would qualify for as a "toy" for all purposes based on the above definition.

In the case of the Mini 2 it is a serious enough instrument that can and is used for many professional purposes. Period. The less expensive drones marketed for China may or may not serve purposes beyond just screwing around for fun, but you certainly cannot say that about the Mini 2 which has proven itself. For those who don't believe me, just cruise over to the Showcase section of this forum and view some of the spectacular videos and photos made with a Mini 2.

I don't believe the existing smart controller has occusync 3 though so I would be worried about that. Someone correct me if i am wrong.
That is true, but the Air 2S already features OC 3.0 and IS supported by the SC, that was enabled with an update by DJI.
Most certainly not to the full potential of the OC 3.0 regarding distance, etc., but there seems to be a reasonable fallback to OC 2.0 nonetheless.

Considering the rumors that the SC v2 lacks higher brightness, higher resolution, etc. and we do not know, what Android version is going to be used, OC 3.0 seems the major change. I could certainly abstain from that, if there are no other benefits of the v2 and happily use the v1 (the above mentioned comparison of VCR and DVD is strange, as the media certainly changed, ie hardware related; support of v1 is heavily up to DJI on a software basis).

No matter what, for European users, another drone without certification would be a cheek.
Neither the law-makers nor DJI seems to have a clue, how to get on with this endlessly mutual blaming. I truly envy US regulations and application as the hobby is not only suffering by the raising spy phobia but by the lack of feasible yet smart rules.

Last edited:
I wish DJI would open a portal for pre-orders at a small discount of $50 or $100. Or just take pre-orders at what they are planning to sell it for, without any discount.

I know right? I keep trying to shove DVD's into my VCR too...

Asking for something brand new to run on something that is a few years old is a valid hope, but expecting it to is unreasonable.

Now if you were asking for the MA2 or Air2 or maybe even the Air2S to run on the NEW smart controller...that seems like a far more reasonable request.
I guess we’re going to see the rest when we see the rest. The one comment that I have not seen mentioned yet is that on the list of leaked photos DJI he has retained the Mavic name. It could be on the final release that they will have a completely new name, perhaps DJI 3 as we all have probably anticipated. So far I haven’t seen any leaked photos of the controller but it wouldn’t surprise me if they use the same controller as the mini 2, air2 and air2S coupled with the DJI fly app. Contrary to that thought, is they might need a completely different controller if nothing else to be able to smoothly switch between the two cameras. So I guess we will see it when we see it.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
This is NOT a toy: but some will see it as one.
The Mini 2 offers a since of "not a big deal if I crash it, flyaway, accidently go into the water, whatever). It's not the kind of money that my Mavic Pro, Pro2, or Inspire 2 cost. So unless it's something important the mini2 is my recreational choice.

Reactions: bonzo
Think about it... Pandemic... DJI bans.. and marketing issues I'm general, and shortage of parts... Probably how they gave up on the pro 2 so early... Ever wondered what happen to the phantom 5?

Reactions: Bransty
Think about it... Pandemic... DJI bans.. and marketing issues I'm general, and shortage of parts... Probably how they gave up on the pro 2 so early... Ever wondered what happen to the phantom 5?
You're right. There's been a lot going on.
PS - I loved the later Phantom's camera. I hope the M3 camera is as good if not better..

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980