DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is my 4K videos stuttering?

Well, a few tests later:
- H.264 format seems a little bit less chopy than H.265 for the same scene
- H.264 in manual mode (30 fps/60 shutter) vs. H.264 auto mode look like the same stuttering videos
- Edited video exported in 1080p is all the way smoother than the same video in 4k

Verdict !!?! This is most probably a lazy laptop video card issue !!

Thank you all for the comments and tips. I learned a lot!

Well, a few tests later:
- H.264 format seems a little bit less chopy than H.265 for the same scene
- H.264 in manual mode (30 fps/60 shutter) vs. H.264 auto mode look like the same stuttering videos
- Edited video exported in 1080p is all the way smoother than the same video in 4k

Verdict !!?! This is most probably a lazy laptop video card issue !!

Thank you all for the comments and tips. I learned a lot!
So one last thing, and a question I'm surprised wasn't asked yet...

If you upload the video to Youtube, and watch it there, do you get the same stuttering?

So one last thing, and a question I'm surprised wasn't asked yet...

If you upload the video to Youtube, and watch it there, do you get the same stuttering?
Good point ! I wanted to do it so I opened a YT account yesterday but could not test it to the end with the treatement delay of YT for 4k uploads.
Now out of town without access to a pc, YT doesn’t allow me more than 720p on my phone.
So tell me !

On my laptop, the third sequence is choppy.

Thanks

G

• Love
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Good point ! I wanted to do it so I opened a YT account yesterday but could not test it to the end with the treatement delay of YT for 4k uploads.
Now out of town without access to a pc, YT doesn’t allow me more than 720p on my phone.
So tell me !

On my laptop, the third sequence is choppy.

Thanks

G
That is STUNNING FOOTAGE.

no chop for me.

Maybe a jitter or two, but no chop.

Absolutely beautiful stuff

That is STUNNING FOOTAGE.

no chop for me.

Maybe a jitter or two, but no chop.

Absolutely beautiful stuff
Thanks very much for taking the time to check and for the compliments itsneedtokno.
I edited the VW van scene that is super chopy in a video but not in 4k yet on YT. In 1080p, it is still chopy, so I guess it is a scene that should have been taken in manual mode 30 fps/shutter 60.
Starting at 0:56 sec :

Thanks very much for taking the time to check and for the compliments itsneedtokno.
I edited the VW van scene that is super chopy in a video but not in 4k yet on YT. In 1080p, it is still chopy, so I guess it is a scene that should have been taken in manual mode 30 fps/shutter 60.
Starting at 0:56 sec :
Yup. That is jittering.

Can be solved with ND filters and the exposure triangle.

Love all the colors though!

Thanks for taking the time! Great to know it works well somewhere else!
i had to put a better graphics card in my i7 win 10 pc with 32 gb ram that sorted it vlc player seems the best as well,now plays fantastic .h265 60fps is very taxing on your pc .plex will not play 4k 60fps h265 in its raw format but it will play the 30fps ok kodi plays it all just fine through my nvidia shield tv

i had to put a better graphics card in my i7 win 10 pc with 32 gb ram that sorted it vlc player seems the best as well,now plays fantastic .h265 60fps is very taxing on your pc .plex will not play 4k 60fps h265 in its raw format but it will play the 30fps ok kodi plays it all just fine through my nvidia shield tv
Good to know. I'll check that for my next pc.

I disagree. His symptoms (mainly affecting videos recorded in bright sunlight, or filming things close up) sound much more like a high shutter speed issue than a codec program.
I recently changed to a fxxxwell UV filter and the stutter has begun under clear skies. Previously used a CPL filter with no stutter, and always on sunny days. Have yet to experiment with ND filters. Ill add that a UV filter is of little value on a digital camera, other than protection. Dust bunnies and other pollutants was my only cause for the UV filter use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gouaill
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929