DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is my M2P breaking up my 4k video into 3?

Spazz

Reactions
Am I missing a setting somewhere? shooting at 4k 30fps for 15 minutes of flight and I get 3 separate videos... why? I want one continuous video? Thanks in advance for the help

Reactions: old man mavic
Am I missing a setting somewhere? shooting at 4k 30fps for 15 minutes of flight and I get 3 separate videos... why? I want one continuous video? Thanks in advance for the help
it is normal for that to happen it only stores vids in 4GB segments but they have a slight overlap so you can stitch them together in post,if you video in 10-80 30fps then you will get 13 odd minutes per segment 4k uses a lot storage space

Last edited:
It's an internal recording limitation of the Mavic which means it has a maximum file size of 4GB. While it's a limitation of the Fat32 format changing the card format to exFAT which doesn't have the 4GB limit per file doesn't make any difference, the Mavic will still use 4GB chunks.

Thank you both for the details... I will try and stitch with the overlape... if i cant perfect it,1080p will have to surfice

Reactions: old man mavic
As far as I know, it is a hard limit with allDJI drones. The FAT disc format limits video recordings to 4 GB. Recording last that automatically creates a new file. With the older drone P3 the video looses a couple of frames so when you rejoin the in post, there is a jump in the footage.

The Ex-FAT format fixes the format problem, but the DJI control software still breaks it into 4GB. Chunks.

The easiest way to avoid the problem is to get in the habit of using shorter shots.

As far as I know, it is a hard limit with allDJI drones. The FAT disc format limits video recordings to 4 GB. Recording last that automatically creates a new file. With the older drone P3 the video looses a couple of frames so when you rejoin the in post, there is a jump in the footage.

The Ex-FAT format fixes the format problem, but the DJI control software still breaks it into 4GB. Chunks.

The easiest way to avoid the problem is to get in the habit of using shorter shots.
I was trying to 15 minutes of 4k straight thru to speed up in post and create a hyperlapse.. the entire purpose of shooting this long.

Thanks for the info

it is normal for that to happen it only stores vids in 4GB segments but they have a slight overlap so you can stitch them together in post,if you video in 10-80 30fps then you will get 13 odd minutes per segment 4k uses a lot storage space
There is no overlap, but there are also no lost frames either any more, unlike with the the P3P and, if memory serves, even the P4. Just assemble them back together in post for a seamless transition. The RC will also beep when the camera completes each segment during continuous video, so you'll know when it happens, or if you avoided it.

Reactions: Thomas B
well my MPP must be different, as one 4GB segment ends ,when the next one starts it shows the end of the last one for a few seconds

My M2P is no lost frames and no overlap. Each file is 3,671,130 at 4k/30. Looks like the limitation is 5 minute clips. I use this as an easy and cheap (free) way to merge with no messing with the files. Just a straight joiner. Also use this for rough editing before throwing the clips into Premier Element 2020.

It's an internal recording limitation of the Mavic which means it has a maximum file size of 4GB. While it's a limitation of the Fat32 format changing the card format to exFAT which doesn't have the 4GB limit per file doesn't make any difference, the Mavic will still use 4GB chunks.
It is a 4GB limit however not imposed by, or limited to the Mavic, DJI or file system. It is a container limitation. AVI container uses 32bit memory addressing internally- 2^32 = 4GB.

Glad they fixed it on the Mavics. My Mavic air does it, as well as my p3 4K, and my P4 adv

well my MPP must be different, as one 4GB segment ends ,when the next one starts it shows the end of the last one for a few seconds
Weird! I can't speak to the Mavic Pro Platinum, as it is one of the few DJI aircraft that I have never owned. So, that must be a real nightmare for you, when reassembing the clips in post, as you have to locate, and also trim off, each and every one of the duplicated frames, from each segment, before adding them to the timeline. Better than losing some, but still not ideal.

Weird! I can't speak to the Mavic Pro Platinum, as it is one of the few DJI aircraft that I have never owned. So, that must be a real nightmare for you, when reassembing the clips in post, as you have to locate, and also trim off, each and every one of the duplicated frames, from each segment, before adding them to the timeline. Better than losing some, but still not ideal.

I have a M1P which I doubt is any different to the platinum in this regard so I assume it mus be an issue with the user's software in assembling the video.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife