DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is the Google Play store omitted from the Smart Controller?

But getting accurate weather and wind data as well as current maps would be helpful. The absence of Google Play Services hampers those needs.

I agree that it could be helpful but don't you own a smartphone? Think about the likely process. You would typically check weather and wind-related data on your smartphone prior to launching the drone but not on the RC during a 20-minute flight.

How awkward would that be - having to switch from DJI GO 4 to some other application and then back again.

But getting accurate weather and wind data as well as current maps would be helpful. The absence of Google Play Services hampers those needs.

Aww but I get that stuff from my phone. Just like when I used my Crystalsky or a tablet. Quite frankly, even back when I hooked up my phone to the controller, I didn't want to get anything else on the screen. I mean, are you throwing away your phones? Besides, there's a browser...you know that you can bookmark "weather" and check it, along any other web page the way they did it back in prehistoric days before apps. Geez, I guess if there isn't access to an app, it doesn't exist! Hahaha!

I mean, some of you are framing this as you you can't fly your drone, you are cut off from weather forecasts or other important data, and it'll be absolutely impossible for you to enjoy a Mavic 2 without unfettered access to the Google Play Store. To each his own though.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77