DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is the Google Play store omitted from the Smart Controller?

ff22

Reactions
The omission limits the ease of installing other apps and even sideloading apps doesn't work in all cases since Google Play Services is missing. Google Earth does not work and I've run into it in a few other apps, too.

I wonder if this is a limitation imposed by China. It would seem unlikely that a world-wide product would be subject to their censorship policies. I hope that DJI provides access to the entire Google Play store eventually.

While the Android OS is open source and free to anyone to build a hardware device around, Google has strict requirements about what must be present on the device in order to ship with the Google Play Store and other Google services. It doesn't look like DJI wanted to meet all of those requirements for the Smart Controller. So no Play Store out of the box. But the good news is, it can be side loaded onto many devices. Here are some instructions:

How to download Google Play Store

Good luck!

While the Android OS is open source and free to anyone to build a hardware device around, Google has strict requirements about what must be present on the device in order to ship with the Google Play Store and other Google services. It doesn't look like DJI wanted to meet all of those requirements for the Smart Controller. So no Play Store out of the box. But the good news is, it can be side loaded onto many devices. Here are some instructions:

How to download Google Play Store

Good luck!

Quickie question - how do I quickly bring up the App screen with all apps? Not the RECENTS apps.

edited to add: Found it - press the Back button and move the 5-d stick to the right.

Last edited:
No play services either.... I did manage to use it has a phone... Amazon prime video works as well

@
Vegasdad
Did you actually watch the video? He used the amazon app which we know already works... He did nothing new... Most of us are looking for play services/play store for obvious reasons...

Reactions: Inspirephil
Same problem with the crystal sky monitor and it sux! Why would DJI/Google not get together and collaborate and get it on our devices that we paid a lot of money for??? Since DJI doesn’t do anything with iOS which is MUCH EASIER than Android based systems in my opinion.
It’s all about $$$$ and proprietary issues but it still doesn’t help us any! :((

Just curious but would using workarounds to install apps that would not normally be accessible possibly void the warranty? Is the smart controller like other Android devices in that you can easily perform a factory reset?

So far DJI is only warning that some apps might not work and not to overload the system which could cause the smart controller or the dji-go app to not work properly.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Same problem with the crystal sky monitor and it sux! Why would DJI/Google not get together and collaborate and get it on our devices that we paid a lot of money for??? Since DJI doesn’t do anything with iOS which is MUCH EASIER than Android based systems in my opinion.
It’s all about $$$$ and proprietary issues but it still doesn’t help us any! :((

OMG Apple controls who uses their IOS. Name me a non Apple product that uses IOS? This system is set up to fly a drone, not watch YouTube, not buy sneakers, etc. DJI probably doesn't want people to use aftermarket apps with their drone. Why clog up their system with garbage? You gonna use a Smart Controller to play Bejewelled? Litchi is not without problems. Besides, their system is based on Android 7.1, I believe. How well will apps designed to work on 8.0, 8.1 or 9.0 gonna work? So here's DJI protecting their system, just like Apple does, and they are EVIL INCARNATE! I can see it now, guys go and download a bunch of worthless apps off Play store, they interfere with DJI Go4, you crash your drone and guess who'll get the blame? DJI.

" not buy sneakers " but I WANT to buy sneakers with it! I spent 650 on it and I will do what I want with it.. And NO I will NOT pick up that can! :)

" not buy sneakers " but I WANT to buy sneakers with it! I spent 650 on it and I will do what I want with it.. And NO I will NOT pick up that can! :)

Hahaha! Sweet someone saw the humor! Here's the thing, I don't care what people do with their SC but it's like so many things in this forum. It's like people are looking for reasons to complain. Why not be angry that the standard controller won't start your car or run your blue ray player? The SC is a purpose built piece of equipment. It's not like DJI advertised it as a gaming console, entertainment hub, regular tablet, etc. They advertise specific use cases, it performs those use cases and people complain that it won't do things outside of the designed use. It's not like everyone didn't know what it was capable of pre purchase...if it won't perform the way you want it to, don't buy it. Why purchase anything and then complain about things it wasn't designed to do instead of a enjoying what it does?

I'm very happy with my SC. Less crap to haul around.
I love watching the youtube haters !
There's even one "hands on" review where the guy admits he doesn't even have one ! :)

Well, at the moment I don't want to buy sneakers, running shoes, perhaps.

That is not entirely the point. I may want to download a few manuals in pdf format for consulting in the field. I also save some web pages or even threads from this forum or the DJI forum as pdf print-outs. Having access to those when a question pops up can be more than helpful. Also, as some are learning, some mapping programs which can also be helpful seem to need/demand Google Play Services.

So there are reasons beyond ordering running shoes for having more open access on the SC.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77