DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why isn't anybody questioning having to install an app from an unknown source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I didn't know there were alternative apps?
Again. No, because you didn't ask if there were any. You asked why the app was not on the Google Play Store anymore and that's what I answered. Carry on.

correct me if I am wrong ..... but it doesn't bypass the protocol. YOU have to 'tell' the phone to allow the installation of the App and on my phones that permission is ONLY active for that one single installation of that App.
Erm ok then... you're wrong. Android phones by default don't allow apps to be installed from unknown sources, "unknown" meaning any source that isn't the Google Play Store. The reason for this is that Play Store apps go through a vetting process before they are published. Presumably people are going to tell me that I should be just as untrusting of this vetting procedure. This may be, but at least there is one, that isn't from the people making the app.

And also, enabling installation of apps from unknown sources isn't specific to the installation, it's specific to the app used to launch the installer. If I downloaded the .apk file via Firefox, for example, I would need to "tell" the phone that Firefox is allowed to install apps from unknown sources. In any case, that still doesn't negate the fact that you have installed an unvetted app.

Reactions: Jam0ne
No, because you didn't ask if there were any. You asked why the app was not on the Google Play Store anymore and that's what I answered. Carry on.
Why would I ask if there is an alternative? Apps that accompany hardware are usually proprietary to the manufacturer, it is unusual to have a closed-source system such as DJI's that allows for third party apps to control it, especially where hardware is concerned.

Why would I ask if there is an alternative? Apps that accompany hardware are usually proprietary to the manufacturer, it is unusual to have a closed-source system such as DJI's that allows for third party apps to control it, especially where hardware is concerned.
DJI used to always release the SDK's for third party developers (like Litchi, Dronelink, Maven, Rainbow etc.....) since they started. Only recently are they not going to do it anymore for consumer drones.
I can't read your mind.

DJI used to always release the SDK's for third party developers (like Litchi, Dronelink, Maven, Rainbow etc.....) since they started. Only recently are they not going to do it anymore for consumer drones.
I can't read your mind.
Well I didn't know that, and is good to know. It's just a shame we apparently had to have an argument before you decided to furnish me with this information.

Reactions: Tufargon
Well I know it bypasses the protocol of disallowing apps from unknown sources (which is an Android security measure) because they officially tell you to disable it for one thing...
It's got nothing to do with security, it's political game-playing.
What's DJI going to do when the US Government forces Google to drop their apps?
And I had the drone in the first place because when I bought it there was a whole suite of DJI apps on the Play Store with no need for sideloading and no reports of user data being collected or security vulnerabilities.
There aren't security vulnerabilities or user data being collected.
Where do you tap into this paranoia nonsense?

Where do you tap into this paranoia nonsense?
I mean, I literally put a link to it...

And if this is a US Government vs DJI issue, how is it still available on the iOS App Store?

I mean, I literally put a link to it...
That story was paranoid bunk that was around a few years ago, but debunked.
And if this is a US Government vs DJI issue,
Here's some background.
But if you don't want to use DJI drones as millions of other users do without issue, that's up to you.

Reactions: Galeforce1
but you chose sarcasm instead.
I saw that post as dry humor, not sarcasm... did you not see the 'wink' emoji?
Well, if you are selling it because you think it's not secure I'd be willing to give you a very low offer for it. Only because it's not secure (your words) I'll offer $50 and I'll pay the shipping. ;)
Good luck to you either way. :)
Try Litchi, it's been duly vetted by the Great Googly. You'll like it, after you get over paying ~25usd for it.

I saw that post as dry humor, not sarcasm... did you not see the 'wink' emoji?

Try Litchi, it's been duly vetted by the Great Googly. You'll like it, after you get over paying ~25usd for it.
I have bought it already and used it and love it. I bought a M2P after realizing that DJI backed out of putting waypoints on my MA2. On the MA2 (and all other models using the Fly app) it's only virtual sticks because the SDK was released by DJI with those limitations and developed by third party developers that could only actually make waypoints work through virtual sticks and is garbage so the MA2 is for sale. As long as they have batteries for the M2P I'll probably own it for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: EricJT
That story was paranoid bunk that was around a few years ago, but debunked.

That's al theoretical stuff that might happen, and nothing to say that the software is actually nefarious.
But I think you'd never be happy with it, so just avoid it and stay on the ground.

Reactions: Galeforce1
I have bought it already and used it and love it.
Yes'm... I already knew you have it and like it, me too. ( I've seen plenty of your past posts :)) Sorry I didn't make it more clear that I was still talking to the OP... I quoted your post so the OP could see your 'wink' without having to scroll back up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tufargon
I've been out of the game for quite a while, as the last time I tried to use my Mavic Pro with DJI Go 4, the app would crash upon opening, so unless I want to fly blind I basically have a £700 paperweight.

I return to check on the latest updates and find that there are no longer any DJI apps on the Play Store for my device (Galaxy S21 Ultra), and that the answer to this is to download the software directly from DJI's website, meaning the app is now unverified and unregulated by Google's app policies, and that users must disable security settings in their phones that are designed to protect against malicious apps??

Wtf is this?!
I am having the same trouble trying to down load the DJI go fly app for my Mavic air 2 WTF is going on ??

that still doesn't negate the fact that you have installed an unvetted app.
The Fly app is not unvetted. It was vetted by DJI. And hundreds of thousands of users. Google's vetting is about the source of the software and whether it has embedded malware. It has nothing to do with whether the software works properly.

DJI makes the drone and writes the software to control the drone. Why would you not trust DJI to provide a copy of the software directly from their website? Why would you trust another firm to provide you with software?

I'm frequently surprised by the strong trust many people put in what appears on their cellphones. As an example, what I've read here indicates that many on this forum put more faith in a winds aloft forecast for a site 20 miles away than in their own observations and conclusions regarding winds at the takeoff site.

Because the US government pressured Google to make things difficult for a number of Chinese companies.
It's political and has nothing to do with the safety of the app.
I would think that it would be better if we have a trustful App verification for all types of software and equipment. In South Africa, I ordered a Car Tracker Mobilizer from China, where I intended to make business. I tested the tracker myself and found it to be quite interesting. The Tracker had a Chinese website to track the Vehicles, parameters could be set for a number of things, such as Speed, Boundary, and Alarm and we could also switch off the engine if needed remotely. But I needed to get a SABS certificate for the Tracker and I was not able to get one because it was not a South African website. Thus, Security was compromised.

Simplest solution? Get rid of that Android phone and get an iPhone. None of these issues exist on the IOS platform.

Reactions: dstuart and Zbip57
None of these issues exist on the IOS
Exactly right, iOS is a closed platform... you can't sideload any app - even if you wanted to.

IMO, the issue the OP has with side-loading Go4 is a non-issue. Seems to me if Android Go4 was sending clandestine information from millions of users to China, somebody would have figured that out by now - there are a great many very intelligent Go4 users out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne