DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why isn't anybody questioning having to install an app from an unknown source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataraxia

Reactions
I've been out of the game for quite a while, as the last time I tried to use my Mavic Pro with DJI Go 4, the app would crash upon opening, so unless I want to fly blind I basically have a £700 paperweight.

I return to check on the latest updates and find that there are no longer any DJI apps on the Play Store for my device (Galaxy S21 Ultra), and that the answer to this is to download the software directly from DJI's website, meaning the app is now unverified and unregulated by Google's app policies, and that users must disable security settings in their phones that are designed to protect against malicious apps??

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DennisK and Jam0ne
To answer your topic question. It's not an unknown source. You get it direct from the manufacturer. It is unknown to Google standards of the Play Store.
Yeah... but why??

Yeah... but why??
Lots of stories around on this. It all started when the China is spying on us thing started and the U.S said they were not to be used in government things anymore. Obviously there were certain standards that the DJI apps did not meet for Google Play Store. So DJI just put them on their website for users to get.
I'm sure lots will chime in here.

Because the US government pressured Google to make things difficult for a number of Chinese companies.
It's political and has nothing to do with the safety of the app.
I'll agree with this.
I'm fine with sideloading apps that are direct from a manufacturer that I trust. Whether Google approves it or not.

Ok, well I don't trust software companies who bypass security controls, and until the software is either open source or has a cited independent security review then I will not be sideloading anything. This is such a shame, I used to love my drone. To the classifieds it goes :(

Reactions: chipwich and Jam0ne
Ok, well I don't trust software companies who bypass security controls, and until the software is either open source or has a cited independent security review then I will not be sideloading anything. This is such a shame, I used to love my drone. To the classifieds it goes :(
Well, if you are selling it because you think it's not secure I'd be willing to give you a very low offer for it. Only because it's not secure (your words) I'll offer $50 and I'll pay the shipping. ;)
Good luck to you either way. :)

How do you KNOW what they/it bypass/es and what security controls other providers of App's provide...... I doubt many people know the facts. The rest of us can only work on trust.
If you don't trust DJI's app's why were you using their drone in the first place?

You actually didn't have to, you could have suggested Litchi as above, but you chose sarcasm instead.
Sorry about that too (honestly). My original answer and the second was not sarcastic at all (and the one about the Litchi comment) and I was only answering your original question. I only did the slight sarcastic remark when you said you were selling. You didn't ask if there were alternative apps to use with it.

How do you KNOW what they/it bypass/es and what security controls other providers of App's provide...... I doubt many people know the facts. The rest of us can only work on trust.
If you don't trust DJI's app's why are you using their drone in the first place?
Well I know it bypasses the protocol of disallowing apps from unknown sources (which is an Android security measure) because they officially tell you to disable it for one thing...

And I had the drone in the first place because when I bought it there was a whole suite of DJI apps on the Play Store with no need for sideloading and no reports of user data being collected or security vulnerabilities.

Sorry about that too (honestly). My original answer and the second was not sarcastic at all (and the one about the Litchi comment) and I was only answering your original question. I only did the slight sarcastic remark when you said you were selling. You didn't ask if there were alternative apps to use with it.
Because I didn't know there were alternative apps?

Well I know it bypasses the protocol of disallowing apps from unknown sources
correct me if I am wrong ..... but it doesn't bypass the protocol. YOU have to 'tell' the phone to allow the installation of the App and on my phones that permission is ONLY active for that one single installation of that App.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78