DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AIR SCARE Notorious ‘drone-modding’ gangsters giving away hacked apps that let drones fly over ANY airport.

pross

Reactions
Deadly 'drone modding' site sells hacked apps that let owners fly over ANY airport

Just before Christmas 2018, reports of drone sightings at Gatwick Airport caused the entire runway to be shut down for days – with hundreds of flights cancelled.

Drone makers – including top firm DJI – build "No Fly Zones" (NFZs) into the app, so you can't fly into important places like airports or military bases.

But absolutely anyone can download software from the internet that overrides these features.

We spoke to the engineers (who describe themselves as "original gangsters") behind one of the biggest drone-hacking websites, which helps users break DJI drone restrictions with a small computer file.

According to one anonymous engineer based in the UK, having No Fly Zones built into drones to keep the public safe isn't fair for customers.

"Look out of your window to your driveway, you have a vehicle of sorts there," a NoLimitDronez admin told The Sun.

"Lets say that at the very least, the vehicle can do 100mph. Almost nowhere in the world is this legal to perform these speeds.

"Now tell me how you'd feel if your car maker decided totally arbitrarily that the speed will be limited to a max of 55mph, no matter who you were or where you were driving. That would be annoying and you'd want the extra power and speed you paid for."

UK law prohibits drone owners from flying into the airspace of an airport.

If you endanger the safety of an aircraft with your drone, you can be charged with a criminal offence.

And there's even a maximum jail sentence of five years for the crime, which is intended to deter rogue drone owners from accessing airports.

DJI and other drone makers design their products so that this isn't possible.

"Alongside making market leading, reliable and easy to use drones, safety is at the heart of DJI," Christian Struwe, Head of Public Policy Europe at DJI, told The Sun.

"We have led the industry in developing technology to help ensure drones operate safely and we acknowledge that the vast majority of drone pilots fly responsibly.

"In 2014, we pioneered geofencing systems for our drones, using GPS position to warn or restrict drone pilots from entering locations which pose national security or aviation safety concerns and we have recently introduced our new GEO 2.0 which now covers 32 European countries.

Struwe warned that some drone owners have "a complete disregard for safety and local rules and regulations".

"It is these people who use software to maliciously hack our drones to remove safety features that are designed to provide users with information that will help them make smart decisions about where and when to fly," Struwe told us.

"By tampering with the drone’s software users are breaking the terms and conditions of the after-sales service policy.

"DJI does not condone any software alterations of its drones and would advise users to strongly consider the potential consequences of their actions."

But drone hackers are fighting back against the Chinese tech giant.

NoLimitDronez is currently collecting donations from users, which will be used to fund new hacks into DJI drone systems.

One proposed hack will let the DJI Mavic 2 drone be cracked so deeply that DJI itself can't fix the change remotely.

Fans of the site have already paid nearly $5,000 (£3,800) of the total $10,000 (£7,600) goal for this hack.

"DJI aircraft cost hundreds – or in some cases thousands of thousands of pounds – and there's no legitimate reason why a random Chinese company has any legal or moral obligation or right to tell us what we can, and cannot do with our drones," a NoLimitDronez rep told The Sun.

"We offer our users freedom to do what they want because we believe that choice should be just that, a choice."

According to a NoLimitDronez rep, the site is completely against "flying dangerously", and says "the world always makes idiots".

They added: "Essentially, if you genuinely are up to no good, looking to disrupt flights, dropping drugs or weapons into prisons or cause harm to others in war zones, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from buying any other aerial platform (usually for significantly less cash than DJI charge) for any other maker who isn't DJI.

"Or do what hobbyists did for years and build your own, and end up with a drone with truly no restrictions."

We spoke to a cybersecurity expert who said that drone makers need to do more to shut these hackers out.

Dean Ferrando, Systems Engineer Manager for EMEA at Tripwire, told The Sun: "Discoveries like this are the reason why there should be much more stringent cybersecurity regulations on internet-connected devices and gadgets in general, not only drones.

"With time-to-market being a great impediment to thorough security checks, manufacturers often bolt in security systems after the product has already been designed, rather than designing security into the software during development, opening up a larger and larger unsecured attack surface for cybercriminals to target/exploit.

"With IoT entering our houses and travelling with us on our wrists, it is paramount that vendors realise the responsibility they have towards the public, which is no longer to just keep their data secure, but to keep them safe."

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
That article might be but you can't say they are not programs to hack your drone as you know there are .

The link is to an article in then UK paper called The Sun ( a very left wing paper) and talks about the nolimitsdrone program.

This program is quite good but yes it’s main purpose is to put back control of your quad to you the owner, I use it.

The link is to an article in then UK paper called The Sun ( a very left wing paper) and talks about the nolimitsdrone program.

This program is quite good but yes it’s main purpose is to put back control of your quad to you the owner, I use it.

The Sun has flipped politically a few times, but currently supports the Conservative Party. Pretty odd for "a very left wing paper".

Clickbait.

I'm curious where the NFZ restrictions are stored. This makes it seem they are stored in the app, but the Mavic Air will fly without the app which would mean I could simply fly anywhere with just the controller operational. It also would mean that if I have a GPS spoofing app (like the one used for the FCC hack) on my phone I could fly anywhere as well. It can't be that simple, is it?

Flying Drones intentionally in Restricted areas or No Fly Zones is simply insane

There's are legitimate reasons for doing this, in which case you should be able to obtain an exemption from the ATZ, but might still need to remove the drone's internal NFZs to fly. There are also instances of things like NFZs around grass strips only used for crop dusting where local pilots are well aware they can fly safely subject to certain restrictions.

Other than that though, removing them and flying in arbitrary NFZs without explicit permission to do so (e.g. Gatwick et al) "just because" is mostly what is giving our hobby a bad rep in the media.

I'm curious where the NFZ restrictions are stored.

Not really looked into it, but I believe it's a specific file stored on the drone, the deletion of which via a USB connection will basically wipe out all the NFZs. There may be some additional hackery required, but I gather it's pretty painless to do if you are so inclined.

Last edited:
It's largely an accurate article, once you get past the Sun-style headline. Why is it stupid?
For one, there is no law stating that you have to have geofencing firmware installed on your drone. Two, the only drones that seem to have this feature is dji, and I dont think there is a law against its removal. My Phantom 4 has this feature and its kinda neat, but my XSP doesn't have it among many other drones as well. Also, what evidence is there that people are removing the feature just so they can fly over airports? I think if anything, the website would be guilty of software hacking.

For one, there is no law stating that you have to have geofencing firmware installed on your drone. Two, the only drones that seem to have this feature is dji, and I dont think there is a law against its removal. My Phantom 4 has this feature and its kinda neat, but my XSP doesn't have it among many other drones as well. Also, what evidence is there that people are removing the feature just so they can fly over airports? I think if anything, the website would be guilty of software hacking.

The article is simply reporting that they are distributing hacks that allow geo-fenced drones to fly where they normally could not fly. Given all the recent fuss about drones over airports and the repeated observations that it shouldn't be possible with DJI drones, that's somewhat relevant and topical.

Freedom goes with personal responsibility - only those who expect one should accept the other. Many just don’t get it.

I quite agree, but therein lies the problem. Those that don't get it end up ruining it for the rest, hence the requirements to register, increasingly tight flight restrictions, and expanding NFZs that many countries are currently introducing. Probably just a matter of time before someone starts mandating functionality on drones that can be sold as well, e.g. transponders and enforced NFZs.

Reactions: Thomas B and AMann
Is that the side it’s on now,

Has been for 40 years, have you been away somewhere?

Political leanings aside, it would be a massive mistake to describe the Sun as a newspaper, I wouldnt even put it at the level of the the LA Times

Have never saw the LA times and only what links that have been posted here from the Sun so please no one take offense but I would like to know if the Sun is like what we have or did like The Nation Inquirer or one of the grocery store tabloids .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan