DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is the Google Play store omitted from the Smart Controller?

Agree with f22. Hope DJI reads these blogs. Also hope it doesn’t require waiting for the long overdue CS update.

so, to return back to the topic - is there any factual way to install a functional google store on the crystalsky device? is there a set of steps documented anywhere of how to do it? is it reproducible on the SC?

update: amazon store is very easy to install - and it works just fine, so, no need for google one.

Last edited:
Hahaha! Sweet someone saw the humor! Here's the thing, I don't care what people do with their SC but it's like so many things in this forum. It's like people are looking for reasons to complain. Why not be angry that the standard controller won't start your car or run your blue ray player? The SC is a purpose built piece of equipment. It's not like DJI advertised it as a gaming console, entertainment hub, regular tablet, etc. They advertise specific use cases, it performs those use cases and people complain that it won't do things outside of the designed use. It's not like everyone didn't know what it was capable of pre purchase...if it won't perform the way you want it to, don't buy it. Why purchase anything and then complain about things it wasn't designed to do instead of a enjoying what it does?

I agree! I actually like the controller.. I also like to tinker and hack... If I can get more out of it I will... I do however understand the 3rd party app complaint... DJI stated it could run 3rd party apps.. While technically it CAN run some.. It takes a bit of knowledge to be able to install them... With no play store this eliminates a solid chuck of users (most cant even fly their bird!). This is misleading and is causing a stir...(as it should) Overall I am happy with it and its a very cool piece of tech.. I am NOT a DJI fanboy and my expectations were set REALLY low and knew what to expect from them so maybe that why I am not disappointed! Honestly guys the reason they the gutted the system is so they could control stability (apple DOES this)... I just wish they provided 2 options... One for the newbs and one for the "techs"

Last edited:
I agree! I actually like the controller.. I also like to tinker and hack... If I can get more out of it I will... I do however understand the 3rd party app complaint... DJI stated it could run 3rd party apps.. While technically it CAN run some.. It takes a bit of knowledge to be able to install them... With no play store this eliminates a solid chuck of users (most cant even fly their bird!). This is misleading and is causing a stir...(as it should) Overall I am happy with it and its a very cool piece of tech.. I am NOT a DJI fanboy and my expectations were set REALLY low and knew what to expect from them so maybe that why I am not disappointed! Honestly guys the reason they the gutted the system is so they could control stability (apple DOES this)... I just wish they provided 2 options... One for the newbs and one for the "techs"

That's a reasonable expectation. I'm not sure it keeps people from flying... Just use your phone, tablet, etc and the standard controller. It's an option. I could see people being mad if he were the only way to fly DJI drones, it's not. Don't buy it if it doesn't do everything that you want.

Reactions: 747P4
Well, at the moment I don't want to buy sneakers, running shoes, perhaps.

That is not entirely the point. I may want to download a few manuals in pdf format for consulting in the field. I also save some web pages or even threads from this forum or the DJI forum as pdf print-outs. Having access to those when a question pops up can be more than helpful. Also, as some are learning, some mapping programs which can also be helpful seem to need/demand Google Play Services.

So there are reasons beyond ordering running shoes for having more open access on the SC.

Do you have one? There's access to the internet and DJI's website. As far as I can see, you can download pdf's but I'll double check that. I get it, you guys want to use non DJI apps on a DJI product. DJI is concerned that when those programs fail, and they do, you'll turn to DJI for a solution. When they inevitably say "no" the hate will rain down on them. It's simple. It would be like demanding that Apple allow you to run Android Oreo on an iPhone X.

Do you have one? There's access to the internet and DJI's website. As far as I can see, you can download pdf's but I'll double check that. I get it, you guys want to use non DJI apps on a DJI product. DJI is concerned that when those programs fail, and they do, you'll turn to DJI for a solution. When they inevitably say "no" the hate will rain down on them. It's simple. It would be like demanding that Apple allow you to run Android Oreo on an iPhone X.

No, it's like running Android apps on an Android OS device!

Yeah, but seriously it's not a good idea to be installing anything that is not absolutely necessary in relation to its intended purpose - that is "a Remote Control device to be used with supported DJI drones". Maybe a few PDFs and anything else that DJI doesn't have a problem with. It's a No Brainer really.

"Yeah, but seriously it's not a good idea to be installing anything that is not absolutely necessary in relation to its intended purpose - that is "a Remote Control device to be used with supported DJI drones". Maybe a few PDFs and anything else that DJI doesn't have a problem with. It's a No Brainer really. "

Why??? With this thought process we would never learn anything new!

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
"Yeah, but seriously it's not a good idea to be installing anything that is not absolutely necessary in relation to its intended purpose - that is "a Remote Control device to be used with supported DJI drones". Maybe a few PDFs and anything else that DJI doesn't have a problem with. It's a No Brainer really. "

Ok, then good luck with that. But don't whine when everything goes to hell in a hand-basket - LOL. Factory Reset is always there to save you from yourself.

Kinda... It's a custom OS based on Android. Like I said, I get you all want it to do it but I just keep remembering all the crying about app crashes while flying. A clean OS greatly reduces that possibility. You guys have to agree with that, right? The more variables you eliminate, the more stable your system will be.

I can't help but to go back to, if it doesn't do what you want, don't buy it. It's really not that big of a deal. It's an option. A month ago, presumably you were all happy with whatever you were using to fly your drones. What happened? Just keep doing that. It really isn't all that different than using my Crystalsky or phone to fly as far as the overall experience is concerned.

Um downloading Mario Run won't solve the mysteries of life, my friend. Hahaha!

Here's the thing, you buy a cup and you buy a bowl. Use the bowl as a bowl. Use the cup as a cup. I just don't see why we need another thing to surf the internet. It's a remote control with a screen. Why can't it just be that? I'm going to go check Yuneec's forum and see if there's complaints about the ST16. Can you download 3rd party apps onto the Autel Evo remote? I know you can't on the Karma.

I also, again, think that it's down to hardware limitations. How much RAM does the SC have? What is it using for a processor? or GPU? Which apps would be compatible? Believe it or not, behind the levity, I honestly believe that keeping the UI as clean as possible will prevent problems.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Um downloading Mario Run won't solve the mysteries of life, my friend. Hahaha!

Here's the thing, you buy a cup and you buy a bowl. Use the bowl as a bowl. Use the cup as a cup. I just don't see why we need another thing to surf the internet. It's a remote control with a screen. Why can't it just be that? I'm going to go check Yuneec's forum and see if there's complaints about the ST16. Can you download 3rd party apps onto the Autel Evo remote? I know you can't on the Karma.

I also, again, think that it's down to hardware limitations. How much RAM does the SC have? What is it using for a processor? or GPU? Which apps would be compatible? Believe it or not, behind the levity, I honestly believe that keeping the UI as clean as possible will prevent problems.

Whats Mario run???
BTW its a RK3066 6 core @ 1.8 4 gig of ram The GPU is a MALI-T860

Ok, then good luck with that. But don't whine when everything goes to **** in a hand-basket - LOL. Factory Reset is always there to save you from yourself.
NO whining here.. :) I can handle this little andfroid device!

Yeah, but seriously it's not a good idea to be installing anything that is not absolutely necessary in relation to its intended purpose - that is "a Remote Control device to be used with supported DJI drones". Maybe a few PDFs and anything else that DJI doesn't have a problem with. It's a No Brainer really.

I know quoting a DJI moderator is not always a good idea:

"Hi xxx, my apologies for the troubles. As of the moment, the Smart Remote Controller doesn't support the Mavic 2 Enterprise model. Please pay attention on our official website for future updates. For the second concern, the google Mobile Service is not obtained that's why google play does not recognize the Smart Remote Controller.You can download third-party apps through the built-in browser or install APK files from a microSD card. Please take note that DJI will not be liable for any permission or safety issues resulting from use of third-party apps. If an installed third-party app prevents you from enjoying optimal use of your controller, we suggest you remove the app or restore the controller to the original factory settings. For the Skytalk function is not yet available, please wait for our future firmware updates. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us. Thanks for your understanding and support. "

I know quoting a DJI moderator is not always a good idea:

"Hi xxx, my apologies for the troubles. As of the moment, the Smart Remote Controller doesn't support the Mavic 2 Enterprise model. Please pay attention on our official website for future updates. For the second concern, the google Mobile Service is not obtained that's why google play does not recognize the Smart Remote Controller.You can download third-party apps through the built-in browser or install APK files from a microSD card. Please take note that DJI will not be liable for any permission or safety issues resulting from use of third-party apps. If an installed third-party app prevents you from enjoying optimal use of your controller, we suggest you remove the app or restore the controller to the original factory settings. For the Skytalk function is not yet available, please wait for our future firmware updates. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us. Thanks for your understanding and support. "
Sky Talk looks interesting.

I'm GALD there is no 3rd party Apps! it's a SRC for our Mavic 2, not a tablet. Get your iPhone or iPad out if you need other apps.

I'm GALD there is no 3rd party Apps! it's a SRC for our Mavic 2, not a tablet. Get your iPhone or iPad out if you need other apps.

That's what I'm saying... Every device doesn't have to be used to update Facebook.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geser