DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is there no phone battery info on DJI GO4?

What's the problem with the 20% warning? Plenty of time to come back with that (unless you have one of them iPhones with the defective battereis that shut down unexpectedly at random percentages, but that's another problem).

On android you just swipe down and see the top bar with the battery level, no need to put the app in the background.

20% battery warning is not a great place to be with a phone running at 90% brightness. It's not long before the 10% warning hits and then you have a more complex dialog box pop up with three options.
Also most of us iOS users are not flying with Brand new iPhone 7+ we are using two year old devices and on top of that you assume that a person is taking off with a full battery. I have taken off on my fourth flight of the day with 32% battery life and for that very reason I kept the drone within 100 ft range and just practiced various flight maneuvers. I might have gone out further if I had the ability to constantly monitor my phone battery.

Swiping down on an iDevice is a messy business. You can get the battery life as well as a screen full of notifications. Also its not always easy to swipe down or up without hitting one of the buttons on the DJI Go4 App.

Those types of apps a bit different in design, by that I mean that they are 100% mobile apps and are in portrait format. Open up Safari and rotate to landscape format, let me know if you still see the battery meter along with the other stuff.;)

I think that it is purely a screen space issue. If you rotate to landscape you lose a lot of screen height so they just remove the clock so it's not taking up a whole line. On the case of the DJI app that line is already used for other battery info so why not include the phones battery info?

Rob

I think that it is purely a screen space issue. If you rotate to landscape you lose a lot of screen height so they just remove the clock so it's not taking up a whole line. On the case of the DJI app that line is already used for other battery info so why not include the phones battery info?

Rob
Well, now we're back to the fact that in order for DJI to use the battery info they need to interface with the OS or firmware. That's where its gets "messy", more so with Android devices.

Reactions: deltalimatango
on top of that you assume that a person is taking off with a full battery.
Why does it change a thing?
Get 20% warning, come and land. At common distances you're on the ground within 3 minutes.

Well, now we're back to the fact that in order for DJI to use the battery info they need to interface with the OS or firmware. That's where its gets "messy", more so with Android devices.
No, they do so for dozens of other things already.

Last edited:
Let me add a counterpoint from also a programmer. Apple has oodles of API calls in the OS which would make its implementation easy. Now think of this. It's not unreasonable for the Android OS to also have an API that apps use and one of them is likely to get battery information. I mean the OS can do it on all devices running it, so that app should clearly be able to as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Wouldn't it depend on what Apple allows to run in the background? I am not a developer, but I think that iOS has limitations on what can run in the background as a safety issue. Not sure though. Maybe DJI can take the info that iOS provides and use this as an indication of the battery life. I don't know but this might be a solution.

There are lots of smart people contributing to this discussion. Programmers like Anthony Viscomi and Cyberpower678 who obviously know SO much more than I do about all of this (I'm being totally genuine here). I'm a filmmaker, so maybe this is just me saying "come on DJI I want this so it's gotta be possible'.

All I can say is come on DJI I want this so it's gotta be possible!:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat