DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why No DJI Intelligent Battery Charger?

STKNRUD

Reactions
Why has DJI not offered an "intelligent" battery charger? If there is one, I am not aware of it. There are many chargers on the market that allow for charging and discharging of lithium batteries to a 'storage charge' along with other charging options. I understand that DJI is mass marketing a product to a consumer market that are not familiar with lithium batteries nor are probably interested in 'smart' chargers that offer a variety of charging options. Please avoid the "safety" responses. I am not talking about an advance charger that offer multiple charging options and possible safety issues if miss-used; just one that offered a consumer simple, safe, 'storage charge' option. Discharging your fully charged batteries because you didn't fly as planned is a real pain and can't be good on the drone. You have to put them in the drone and turn it on and then monitor the lights on top until they are 50%. This can't be good on the drone either...cooling fan running, etc. With the variety of batteries and connectors for their drones, it would also be an additional revenue source for DJI since you would need a different one for each type of battery...Mavic, Phantom, Inspire, etc.

Last edited:
Isn't intelligent charging as well as discharging for storage built into the batteries?

There is a "New Advanced" charging hub available, that coupled with the 100 watt charger for Phantom 3 charge faster than the original Mavic charger. The battery will discharge itself automatically after a given period of time of inactivity, the smart part of the battery.

Why has DJI not offered an "intelligent" battery charger? If there is one, I am not aware of it. There are many chargers on the market that allow for charging and discharging of lithium batteries to a 'storage charge' along with other charging options. I understand that DJI is mass marketing a product to a consumer market that are not familiar with lithium batteries nor are probably interested in 'smart' chargers that offer a variety of charging options. Please avoid the "safety" responses. I am not talking about an advance charger that offer multiple charging options and possible safety issues if miss-used; just one that offered a consumer simple, safe, 'storage charge' option. Discharging your fully charged batteries because you didn't fly as planned is a real pain and can't be good on the drone. You have to put them in the drone and turn it on and then monitor the lights on top until they are 50%. This can't be good on the drone either...cooling fan running, etc. With the variety of batteries and connectors for their drones, it would also be an additional revenue source for DJI since you would need a different one for each type of battery...Mavic, Phantom, Inspire, etc.
Actually DJI provides this in every battery and it's clearly mentioned in their online manual.

They are "smart" batteries in that you set the number of days in the DJI Go app as to when they will start to discharge on their own. So you don't even need to connect them to a charger to discharge them to a storage state... they will do this all on their own. The max time would be to discharge in 10 days. I think the default is set to 3 days (might be 5).

So DJI does _exactly_ as you want and this has been true since at least the Phantom 2.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Actually DJI provides this in every battery and it's clearly mentioned in their online manual.

They are "smart" batteries in that you set the number of days in the DJI Go app as to when they will start to discharge on their own. So you don't even need to connect them to a charger to discharge them to a storage state... they will do this all on their own. The max time would be to discharge in 10 days. I think the default is set to 3 days (might be 5).

So DJI does _exactly_ as you want and this has been true since at least the Phantom 2.

I wasn't aware of this. My fully charged Mavic batteries have been sitting for two weeks and haven't discharged any so I question the "default" setting. But I really appreciate the input. I downloaded and printed out the manual but I guess I missed that part in favor of all the RTH parts, etc. Makes me look kind of stupid, I will check it out. Thanks.

P.S. Just checked it out...default is 10 days. That explains why the batteries felt slightly warm when I pulled them out yesterday; they must have started the discharge although they still showed a full charge. Thanks for not using any expletives to describe my ignorance.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of this. My fully charged Mavic batteries have been sitting for two weeks and haven't discharged any so I question the "default" setting.
If you press the power button in any way, the time to discharge starts all over. They take a couple of days to discharge down to 60%-50%.

Reactions: STKNRUD

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser