DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why no lightening to mico USB cords available?

CactusJackSlade

Reactions
I've looked everywhere for a lightening to micro USB cable about 8" long

Basically I want what came stock with the Mavic, but longer since I am using a tablet with a custom mount... and I need a 6" to 8" Lightening to Micro usb cable.

Sure, I can us the bottom standard USB port, but I want my tablet to aid in keeping the controller charged while I'm flying. Also yes I could add an external battery pack but rather not do that either.

Currently my limiting factor with flying out in the field or on the road is controller battery life, and if I can at least have my controller and tablet go to low battery at the same time I'd get a LOT more flight time between full charges.

Anybody else thinking the same thing... or am I just wanting my cake and to eat it too??! :rolleyes::p

I don't think the tablet will supply charge to the controller that way though.
One of the advantage of using the large USB is the option to simultaneously use a small battery bank on the mini-usb

You probably won't find a single cable with Lightning and micro USB connectors - it's not a common situation to need that combination. However, you can get a USB to micro USB adapter cable (like this) which will accomplish the same thing.

I put my iPhone on the controller with an otter box case installed, that's why I needed to use the above cables that go to the large USB port instead of the micro USB supplied cable without the 90° end. Didn't want to have to take the case off my phone every time I wanted to fly the Mavic.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I want my tablet to aid in keeping the controller charged while I'm flying

That will not work. The side port is an USB OTG port, it is either a "device" type input that receives power (when charging or talking to DJI assistant, standard micro USB cable), or a "Host" type output that supplies power (when connected to the mobile device, using an OTG micro USB cable which DJI's is).

No other thing commonly uses the OTG to lightning configuration (apart from wanting to connect a Windows tablet with only a Micro-OTG port to an iPhone to transfer stuff viy iTunes, but that's so rare people will just use the standard micro OTG to USB A adapter cable that comes with the tablet + the standard USB A to lightning cable that comes with their iPhone) so likely you won't find ready made cables. You could probably make a longer one by cutting and splicing the appropriate ones... but it still won't do what you're after.

Last edited:
That will not work. The side port is an USB OTG port, it is either a "device" type input that receives power (when charging or talking to DJI assistant, standard micro USB cable), or a "Host" type output that supplies power (when connected to the mobile device, using an OTG micro USB cable which DJI's is).

No other thing commonly uses the OTG to lightning configuration (apart from wanting to connect a Windows tablet with only a Micro-OTG port to an iPhone to transfer stuff viy iTunes, but that's so rare people will just use the standard micro OTG to USB A adapter cable that comes with the tablet + the standard USB A to lightning cable that comes with their iPhone) so likely you won't find ready made cables. You could probably make a longer one by cutting and splicing the appropriate ones... but it still won't do what you're after.

That was the kind of info I was looking for - thanks. I had read that someone claimed it drained their phone when hooked up, so I assumed it was charging the controller as it was also receiving/sending data... Oh well, so much for a clean additional power supply setup.

I will probably go with the ol' velcro'd on battery on the back of the controller or tablet into the side port and use the big USB port for my tablet as I have been doing.

Thanks Thumbswayup

I've looked everywhere for a lightening to micro USB cable about 8" long

Basically I want what came stock with the Mavic, but longer since I am using a tablet with a custom mount... and I need a 6" to 8" Lightening to Micro usb cable.

Sure, I can us the bottom standard USB port, but I want my tablet to aid in keeping the controller charged while I'm flying. Also yes I could add an external battery pack but rather not do that either.

Currently my limiting factor with flying out in the field or on the road is controller battery life, and if I can at least have my controller and tablet go to low battery at the same time I'd get a LOT more flight time between full charges.

Anybody else thinking the same thing... or am I just wanting my cake and to eat it too??! :rolleyes::p

Get the cable in micro usb, should be easy to find, they come free with everything electric so you may already have one somewhere. Apple makes a lightning to micro USB adapter. I bought a couple a year or so ago because I despise lightning connectors. They are extremely handy for many reasons, but mostly because you can now enjoy the benefits of using the world standard for everyone but Apple. Some of those being a much lower cost, wide availability, and a huge variety of lengths and styles
https://www.google.com/search?q=app...adapter&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
Buy a handful and forget about needing some pricey special order connector for everything. I bought the 20$ Apple ones, but there weren't any knock-offs at the time. I think now I'd buy about 20 of those cheap ones and forget the word lightning cable for a while. They do add a little more bulk hanging from the lightning port though, and if you think it is at risk of getting bombed around I would probably improvise some sort of connector support so you don't torque your phones lightning port.....
Or do what I plan on doing and buy a lower priced android tablet or a used I pad mini and just use it exclusively for the drone controller. If I do the I-pad I'll just epoxy the adapter to the pad. I've given Apple hundreds and hundreds of dollars for their ******** lightning cables, and am done pissing away my money on them.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. If you're trying to maximize battery life on both your tablet and your controller you should be using the bottom full size USB to connect your tablet. The power draw (from my real world experience) on both devices is a lot less than using the micro usb port on the side of the controller.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if this type C end is the same as the Micro USB? If so, this cable would work to connect the iPhone to the controller.

51mfMIrmPZL._SL1000_.jpg

OK, I tried to find that info online, but couldn't. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky