DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why so much mixed info out there with tower interference?

Ron-EP

Reactions
Hey all,

Just curious why there's so much mixed information on cell tower interference with it our quads. Are there cell towers that cause interference and some that don't? Is there a way to find out before one flies? Any time someone talks about flying close to one for inspection purposes for example there's always someone saying be careful and others saying they've never had issues. Thoughts?

Reactions: WW5RM
Hey all,

Just curious why there's so much mixed information on cell tower interference with it our quads. Are there cell towers that cause interference and some that don't? Is there a way to find out before one flies? Any time someone talks about flying close to one for inspection purposes for example there's always someone saying be careful and others saying they've never had issues. Thoughts?
Many aspects of drone flying are not properly understood by lots of flyers.
Fear and a lack of understanding leads to the creation of myths.
And there are a lot of myths around drone flying.

To date, I have not had an issue with cell towers. I am not brave enough to fly right in front of a microwave dish. That being said i've been very close to them and still not problem.

There are definite issues in the "old days" of 72MHz radios and if you flew in front of any type of high powered transmission tower. At our local hill years ago we would have a random plane crash with no other explanation other than the radio towers we flew next to.

Reactions: Ron-EP and sar104
I know folks are getting sick of this but you can’t always believe
what you read. Trust what you have done or see.

Hey all,

The recent Mavics have really good filtering and the ability to switch between 2.4 and 5.8 GHz so even if there is massive interference coming from a single source it’s unlikely to actually cause issues.

Interference issues usually come from density populated areas where there are innumerable sources of interference on various channels and frequencies not single sources of interference.

Reactions: WW5RM and Ron-EP
I get pretty close to them with no problems at all, even with my old X-Star I've had zero signal or control issues.
Cell_tower_closeup.jpg

Reactions: RGallant
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest