DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why the hatin on drones?

AClineman

Reactions
I have a co worker who is an RC gyro (helicopter) enthusiast and I got to talking about the MPP I just bought a few moths ago. He admitted it’s nice the video and photos you get from them but that’s as far as he goes.

Says drone pilots single handedly ruined the RC community,,,, ???

Also says any moron can fly a drone because they fly themselves. Try flying something that you actually have to practice flying and control.

I busted his **** (we’re good friends) and told him sounds like he’s pissed that he spent so much time and money on equipment that is outdated and that flying his thing is like continuing to use dial up Internet service and to get with the times. :D

So why all the hatin on dronees?

Two things - did you mean gyro or helicopter? They aren't the same thing?

Secondly he's absolutely right. RC control aircraft used to be a niche activity largely restricted to a responsible community of enthusiasts who usually fly from suitable sites and have a decent set of common sense safety principles. They spend a lot of money on their hobby and a lot of hours building the models they fly, so they fly them responsibly because they don't want to undo all the hard work they put in.

Now, sadly for them, they're lumped in with every Tom **** and Harry that can go out and buy and fly a drone with no investment other than a financial one - and even that can be insured against of course. So there's a spotlight on them too that wasn't there before, not to mention a bunch of regulations they probably didn't need or want.

Secondly he's absolutely right. RC control aircraft used to be a niche activity largely restricted to a responsible community of enthusiasts who usually fly from suitable sites and have a decent set of common sense safety principles. They spend a lot of money on their hobby and a lot of hours building the models they fly, so they fly them responsibly because they don't want to undo all the hard work they put in.

Now, sadly for them, they're lumped in with every Tom **** and Harry that can go out and buy and fly a drone with no investment other than a financial one - and even that can be insured against of course. So there's a spotlight on them too that wasn't there before, not to mention a bunch of regulations they probably didn't need or want.

Exactly this.

Reactions: bobj151 and Kilrah
I think people just here the word drone and think all you are doing with it is spying on people in their bedrooms.

Whats funny is, your friend thinks "morons" using GPS connected, easier than ever to control, more reliable and probably alot safer drones "that fly themselves" are ruining the community and that people should be flying a drone that will fly off on it's own and crash somewhere if you let go of the controls.

In other words: he wants your MPP;)

Reactions: fiftiesnut
Well he said Gyro before, but sent me a video and it looked like an old style bubble front glass helicopter to me.

people used to love the drone in the 1960 decade. wasn,t much hate than

Says drone pilots single handedly ruined the RC community,,,, ???

Drone operators are usually the ones flying irresponsibly in ways they aren't supposed to in areas they aren't meant to. That gets lumped on the RC community as a whole. He has a point.

Also says any moron can fly a drone because they fly themselves.

And he's entirely correct. The latest generation of drones you dont fly, you simply operate and move. They fly themselves. They maintain position, heading, speed, altitude and everything else with no operator input at all. You let go of the sticks and it stays exactly where it is in 3 dimensions - try that with a helicopter!
You need no knowledge of aerodynamics, weather effects or how to actually fly to operate a drone.
Essentially they're a really big movable camera tripod.

You don't "pilot" or "fly" a mavic in the strictest sense - you simply operate its onboard computers and tell it what you want to do. The computers then decide HOW to do it and fly it.

A lot of RC operators built their birds from scratch, they have intimate mechanical knowledge of the built, the weak points, the strong points, what each part does, how the systems work, how to fix things. Most drone owners struggle to even make the effort to read the manual or change a damaged prop!

The 2 disciplines are incomparable in terms of knowledge and skillset required.

While I definitely get what you're saying, is the RC crowd actually being lumped in with the drone crowd? True, much of the general public has a stigma towards drones, but does that extend to RC helis and planes? I'd imagine most people see those in very different lights. But I don't know, I could be totally wrong.

Also, I think it's funny the site bleeped out the name ****. Like, would that be allowed as a username? How about **** Tracy? Nope, not that one either. :D

You don't "pilot" or "fly" a mavic in the strictest sense - you simply operate its onboard computers and tell it what you want to do. The computers then decide HOW to do it and fly it..

Sound a lot like the way airplane pilots fly their airplanes to me.

I joined the local RC Airplane club when I bought my Mavic Pro. I was basically looking for a safe place to learn to fly the drone and perhaps some folks who shared my interest in drones. I got the safe place to fly, but frankly wasn't exactly welcomed to the ranks.

.... is the RC crowd actually being lumped in with the drone crowd?

Absolutely in terms of the grief they're suffering, and it's the same in most countries where the authorities are trying to implement poorly thought out, hastily constructed regulation - the RC guys neither want nor need any more than they currently have and I'm not surprised that even a responsible sounding droner like @Cimriver wasn't exactly welcomed by them with open arms.

Add in the fact that, as is often mentioned, these things are beyond simple to fly (unless you're the sort of person who struggles to stand up and chew gum at the same time) and you're not going to get a lot of respect from these guys. Try piloting a medium sized RC plane if you don't believe me.

Personally I'd be too embarrassed to turn up and ask to join an RC Aircraft club with a drone under my arm but that's me.

Reactions: Lake_Flyer

I joined the local RC Airplane club when I bought my Mavic Pro. I was basically looking for a safe place to learn to fly the drone and perhaps some folks who shared my interest in drones. I got the safe place to fly, but frankly wasn't exactly welcomed to the ranks.

Sorry you had that experience. Our club has airplane, heli and drone owners along with various combinations of the three. I'm sure there are a couple of "elitists" in the bunch but they keep their opinions to themselves. The growing popularity of drones has increased our membership and expanded the interests of other pilots into areas they might not otherwise have explored. Our indoor flying in the winter went from strictly foamies and other lightweight craft to at least 50% drones over the last couple of years.

Personally I'd be too embarrassed to turn up and ask to join an RC Aircraft club with a drone under my arm but that's me.
I wondered about that, but was strongly encouraged to join during the conversation I had with one of the club officers prior to joining up. He was a bit more open about drones. He realized it was something the club needed to embrace. Don't think most of the membership shared his enthusiasm.

I think he is correct in that anyone and their mother can fly a drone. This means any idiot can spend the money and do dumb things with it. However, tech has improved which not only makes this possible but also makes them _far_ more useful. So, for example, the same thing could be said about the car vs horse. Cars ruined it for people who rode horses. It is still a natural progression.

He admitted it’s nice the video and photos you get from them but that’s as far as he goes.

Also says any moron can fly a drone because they fly themselves. Try flying something that you actually have to practice flying and control.

I bought my MPP exactly for aerial video and footage, if I wanted to fly as reaIly fly I would skip the outdated useless RC toys and go straight to a Cessna

I tried joining the local RC airplane club too but was told that before I could fly my MPP there I would have to become proficient flying a RC plane first and pass a flight test. I didn't join the club.

While I definitely get what you're saying, is the RC crowd actually being lumped in with the drone crowd? True, much of the general public has a stigma towards drones, but does that extend to RC helis and planes? I'd imagine most people see those in very different lights. But I don't know, I could be totally wrong.

Also, I think it's funny the site bleeped out the name ****. Like, would that be allowed as a username? How about **** Tracy? Nope, not that one either. :D
they dont like ****,cant ya tell,
all of us old codgers have virgin ears,thank god they look after us

Absolutely in terms of the grief they're suffering, and it's the same in most countries where the authorities are trying to implement poorly thought out, hastily constructed regulation - the RC guys neither want nor need any more than they currently have and I'm not surprised that even a responsible sounding droner like @Cimriver wasn't exactly welcomed by them with open arms.

Add in the fact that, as is often mentioned, these things are beyond simple to fly (unless you're the sort of person who struggles to stand up and chew gum at the same time) and you're not going to get a lot of respect from these guys. Try piloting a medium sized RC plane if you don't believe me.

I fly at local AMA club. It's a great place to test your apps and to practice advanced camera settings. They have sunshades to boot! Not to mention solar panels and battery system to charge your batteries!

I am in awe of most of the guys flying their planes. Just last weekend, a fellow flew his 10 foot 115cc low wing 15 feet above the ground inverted and banked around a corner and maintained altitude. He finished it off by hovering vertically in place for a good 3-4 min. then powered out!

Reactions: C_Greg
I think he is correct in that anyone and their mother can fly a drone. This means any idiot can spend the money and do dumb things with it. However, tech has improved which not only makes this possible but also makes them _far_ more useful. So, for example, the same thing could be said about the car vs horse. Cars ruined it for people who rode horses. It is still a natural progression.

Awful analogy. Cars are an upgrade to horses, while drones aren't an upgrade to anything.

...RC control aircraft used to be a niche activity largely restricted to a responsible community of enthusiasts who usually fly from suitable sites and have a decent set of common sense safety principles...

Check out this excerpt from the British Model Flyers Association website under "Achievements:"

Unfortunately, internal club disputes are relatively common and we are often called on to advise or mediate, several recently have escalated to the point of legal actions not to mention alleged and actual physical assaults requiring Police involvement.

The British Model Flying Association > Join/Renew > Why join the BMFA

Maybe some of you have an overly romanticized memory of what used to be.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute