DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why the hatin on drones?

I have a co worker who is an RC gyro (helicopter) enthusiast and I got to talking about the MPP I just bought a few moths ago. He admitted it’s nice the video and photos you get from them but that’s as far as he goes.

Says drone pilots single handedly ruined the RC community,,,, ???

Also says any moron can fly a drone because they fly themselves. Try flying something that you actually have to practice flying and control.

I busted his **** (we’re good friends) and told him sounds like he’s pissed that he spent so much time and money on equipment that is outdated and that flying his thing is like continuing to use dial up Internet service and to get with the times. :D

So why all the hatin on dronees?

There are some dronies on this forum that have the same affliction, self importance, calling names, snarky condescending comments. They would just rather put you down instead of educating. Human Nature. Or upbringing?

Reactions: zwt100
Well folks , l know I’m going to get in a lot of trouble with you RC folks.

And that’s alright I used to be a very advent Rc user. Built about 4 or five of my own and a few already made aircraft.

Done it all, been to the selected parks and unselected ones to fly.

Been to parks where you have to have ins. And some without. What a great hobby it was for me, to get up on a Saturday morning, thermo full of coffee , and off you go for a day of RC flying.

I really enjoyed the hobby and in many ways I still do.

But in reality for me, it became boring after awhile. Of course I have been doing this for over 20 years.

For one it started to get real expensive if you wanted to build replicas and large scale planes.

And folks the real fun for me was doing the building of the planes, and seeing your newly built airplane fly for the first time.

Now here is where I’m going to get in trouble with my fellow RC fellows.

Flying those birds in the air is not all that difficult. If your plane is balanced correctly and you get it in the air , you will find they are not that difficult to control.

Remember once they are in the air all you do is fly in a frisking circle, reserve and go the other way or do a loop d loop.

What was so impressive to me is the huge planes that were built and all they did was go in a circle a few times and land. But the planes themselves were absolutely incredible.

One other thing about rc aircraft whether helicopter or airplane is that the torque ratio to wooden aircraft is way higher than real aircraft.

The motors were powerful and you could fly a plane to the moon straight up with no worry of weight. Not in real planes, weight etc.

Helo flying is more difficult, but you still fly in a circle go up and down and then land, and yes helo flying can be very dangerous. Those blades will hit the ground and break and go everywhere.

I got my start in drones with the parrot 2.0. It was fun and a new way of flying.

But the real game changer came when I got the P3p.

I simply could not believe all that this aircraft could do, I have never looked back. It simply was the very next logical upgrade for me.

Simply put , it became boring to me to to use several months of a new build to just fly it in a circle or do a few loop d loops.

So for you Rc folks making it look like it takes a real skill to fly these craft , not so , in fact the same awareness in preparing a drone to fly to me is more stressful than flying a plane in a circle.

What’s fascinating about the RC world is those incredible builds.

Those folks that want to hold onto RC craft , go for it. It’s a great hobby.

I loved it.

But you cannot take great pics or go in canyons , or go over water falls, or just fly and see where you are going, you cannot fly at night or film your family outing.

Yes I left the RC world because it became to expensive to build the bigger craft and it became boring, I needed more.

I commend those RC folks that love there hobby, but guess what that’s all that world is just a hobby, I know I was apart of it.

I’m waiting on the mavic pro 11, and the. Adventures I’m going to have with that .

The drone world did not wreck the RC world, the Rc world was to slow in catching up.

And me personally I could care less if the Rc world does not want my drone on there field , there field is to small anyway.

And if you RC folks want to see skilled flying , get into speed racing with head gear.

Now those folks have skill in flying, and they are not just flying in a circle.

I went a little long , but to be clear RC flying is great fun, but old fun.

Love you RC folks.

Robert.

Reactions: bonzo and raymo
I am probably going to get slammed for this but aren't most commercial aircraft now 80% to 90% automated and controlled by computers and automated navigational system?

I know that almost all space crafts from NASA and the recent SpaceX Falcon Heavy were all computer controlled and guided, so does that mean the anyone can fly a commercial jet or a space ship?

One of our local AMA fields does not allow drones. I asked the guy running it why he wants to exclude me and have me go out to the local park where I may further damage the RC community rather than be at the field with other similar minded folks where I can learn? He though about it for a minute and said I could start by using the heli pad. I actually joined a different field that is closer to my work. They had no problems, but it is a learning on both sides. Plane guys do not expect vertical takeoff and landings, so I usually behave somewhat like a plane when around the runway and normal flight path. I do agree with the comment that some drones, like racing drones, take a lot of practice, and people take a lot of pride in their builds. Learning those can make you a much better Mavic pilot.

Reactions: Chip and Dizzy1971
Interesting that the model aircraft people have had so much to say to regulators about drone rules. They don’t as an organization encourage drone people to join,yet the government (at least in my country) points to MAAC as a place to ge5 insurance for your drone going forward.
It doesn’t seem to me that model plane folks have any problems whatsoever caused by drone users...but they have a heck of a lot to say to the government about somebody else’s hobby . Just weird.

I am probably going to get slammed for this but aren't most commercial aircraft now 80% to 90% automated and controlled by computers and automated navigational system?

I know that almost all space crafts from NASA and the recent SpaceX Falcon Heavy were all computer controlled and guided, so does that mean the anyone can fly a commercial jet or a space ship?
Yes it totally does mean that! My 4 year old is gassing up her 737 right this moment. :p

Sound a lot like the way airplane pilots fly their airplanes to me.

I joined the local RC Airplane club when I bought my Mavic Pro. I was basically looking for a safe place to learn to fly the drone and perhaps some folks who shared my interest in drones. I got the safe place to fly, but frankly wasn't exactly welcomed to the ranks.
This is the problem with many clubs "snobbery", just because your RC came assembled should mean zip.
This is the same for a camera club I visited recently because I bought a Olympus I was not good enough.
The sooner we recognize we are all enjoying the same hobby is the sooner we educate all tiers of government that we are not out their to peer through windows but out there as a legitimate hobby.

You’re right about RC clubs. They think they are better than drone enthusiasts, not just in skill but overall. When I flew there, a friend with an RC Jet was in that club and he was always nice to me but if I went there by myself a couple guys came up to me and asked if I was an AMA member (a requirement there, to use their airport, which is a miniature landing strip and tables and official signs on the fence etc), and then they watched my every move and said “can you see that?” and so forth, because a Mavic is sort of silent at line of sight, smaller than an RC PLANE, and not always moving in an easy to follow direction as it gets more distant. So I went out fairly quickly and then sharply higher and came back above the airfield and just hovered, filming downward as others watched me. He said, “well I’ve got pretty good eyes and I can’t see it”, to which I said, “ well it’s definitely visible to me I’m just not looking at it right now.” (It was directly overhead in a 7-10 mph wind, about 275 ft altitude. He was being a nazi airport geek, and not a guy asking friendly questions. Finally I slowly descended and he still didn’t hear it, perhaps because others were tuning planes and warming up engines. Theirs is not as quiet a sport. He was seemingly annoyed when at about 60’ he heard it and looked up. Others have expressed true fascination and I’ve engaged in fun chats about capabilities with them.
As for the guy flying in the national forest, I am aware you cannot fly in National Parks but learned something today IF he is right that you CAN fly in the National Forests.

You can fly in all national forests, however you can’t fly in wilderness ares within a national forest. You also cannot fly in designated campgrounds.

One of our local AMA fields does not allow drones. I asked the guy running it why he wants to exclude me and have me go out to the local park where I may further damage the RC community rather than be at the field with other similar minded folks where I can learn? He though about it for a minute and said I could start by using the heli pad...

Very well done!

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I bought my MPP exactly for aerial video and footage, if I wanted to fly as reaIly fly I would skip the outdated useless RC toys and go straight to a Cessna

Me, too. I didn’t spend money on a flying machine for the enjoyment of flying, although it’s great watching it zoom passed in sports mode, I bought a flying machine to take photos and video - a flying camera. It’s the photography aspect I’m interested in and the MP is a pretty good platform to add another dimention to my photography. I don’t want it to look like a toy Spitfire or Mustang either, or to belong to a group of enthusiasts that talk model aircraft - I’d rather talk photos.

Why should it be so difficult to fly RC planes and heli's and drones together?
In our club we enjoy every aspect of RC flying and many do fly airplanes, heli's and drones.

Reactions: raymo
Me, too. I didn’t spend money on a flying machine for the enjoyment of flying, although it’s great watching it zoom passed in sports mode, I bought a flying machine to take photos and video - a flying camera. It’s the photography aspect I’m interested in and the MP is a pretty good platform to add another dimention to my photography. I don’t want it to look like a toy Spitfire or Mustang either, or to belong to a group of enthusiasts that talk model aircraft - I’d rather talk photos.
This is precisely why I bought my Mavic too. Yes, I enjoy the flying as part of the hobby but it's the ability to get a new angle, height or viewpoint, and the portability that made me buy the Mavic. And, as an added bonus, it's a lot lighter than a DSLR with a zoom lens attached.

Mavic is a flying camera tripod i can move around over a large area. It allows me to get the photos i want. Thats why i bought it.
Like a tripod is has to be small enough and light enough to fit into a backpack with all my other DSLR camera gear and lenses and carried on the back of a bike and/or hiked up a mountain with.
So for me portability combined with a just about adequate camera are the most important features.

Ummmmm, No? Is this a trick question? What's the punchline?

No, not really a trick question... I have two friends that are pilots, one flies for Delta the other used to fly for Southwest, I think. We were talking a convention once they both told me that most commercial airlines are pretty much automated from take off to landing and pilots monitor and take over at anytime but for the most part they are on monitor and standby. The aircraft automatically adjust for weather conditions and can divert the flight path to avoid updraft and downdraft situations when needed. Landings are usually hands off for the most part they said. that made me a little nervous. Before 9/11 I flew a puddle jumper from Rochester to NYC in thunderstorm. The cockpit door was wide open, and I could see the dashed white line on the runway when landing, it flash by from the left then flash by again from the right, when we landed the dashed line was pretty much diagonal with the planes fuselage...scary for sure

Falcon Heavy did not have a pilot so that was entirely automated. The last attempt to launch a spaceX ship was scrubbed by the computer for fuel mixture anomalies it detected. The people at mission control said that they could not even override the computer's decision to scrub the launch.

No, not really a trick question... I have two friends that are pilots, one flies for Delta the other used to fly for Southwest, I think. We were talking a convention once they both told me that most commercial airlines are pretty much automated from take off to landing and pilots monitor and take over at anytime but for the most part they are on monitor and standby. The aircraft automatically adjust for weather conditions and can divert the flight path to avoid updraft and downdraft situations when needed. Landings are usually hands off for the most part they said. that made me a little nervous. Before 9/11 I flew a puddle jumper from Rochester to NYC in thunderstorm. The cockpit door was wide open, and I could see the dashed white line on the runway when landing, it flash by from the left then flash by again from the right, when we landed the dashed line was pretty much diagonal with the planes fuselage...scary for sure

Falcon Heavy did not have a pilot so that was entirely automated. The last attempt to launch a spaceX ship was scrubbed by the computer for fuel mixture anomalies it detected. The people at mission control said that they could not even override the computer's decision to scrub the launch.

Do you really think anyone can jump into a commercial jet or rocket and fly it? Just a strange statement. They also have robotic surgery... want me at the controls?

" pilots monitor and take over at anytime"

Is the key thing. If or when it breaks they have to earn their salary and salvage the situation. And those responses take training, thinking and skill amongst other things. Years or decades of training, scenarios and hard work combined with an intimate understanding of how things work come into play then.

Great observation sir

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
That was not my comment or what I meant by my comment. We still have licensed pilots in the cockpits and at mission control, so no, I don't expect anyone, with no knowledge of the aircraft, to be sitting at the controls, I never stated that at all. The point of my statement was that lots of aircraft today, from drones, to commercial aircraft and even high end space craft are automated. So to that point.... my statement/question was, why would RC groups be looking down their noses at the current technology being used in current aircraft as if it was not really flying/piloting?

I still had to learn maneuvers, stick controls, the effects of updrafts/downdrafts, yaw and pitch in my GPS guided aircraft so in my opinion, I have piloting skills.

That was not my comment or what I meant by my comment. We still have licensed pilots in the cockpits and at mission control, so no, I don't expect anyone, with no knowledge of the aircraft, to be sitting at the controls, I never stated that at all. The point of my statement was that lots of aircraft today, from drones, to commercial aircraft and even high end space craft are automated. So to that point.... my statement/question was, why would RC groups be looking down their noses at the current technology being used in current aircraft as if it was not really flying/piloting?

I still had to learn maneuvers, stick controls, the effects of updrafts/downdrafts, yaw and pitch in my GPS guided aircraft so in my opinion, I have piloting skills.

Yes " so in my opinion, I have piloting skills".... that's your opinion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27