DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Two Antennas with RE

FrankIII

Reactions
Can anyone explain why there are two antennas that come with the basic RE?
The detailed manual does not explain why. They both look alike.

I thought it was because of the two frequencies.
I could be wrong.

That could be because I did read somewhere that there are two receivers in the goggles. One for 2.4 and another for 5.7ghz. That makes sense. The reason I asked is because both antennas look EXACTLY alike. In that case how do I know the difference?

Usually they are marked if there is a difference. Look real close.

Usually they are marked if there is a difference. Look real close.
The 2 antenna are for racing one for drone one for RE headset the antenna for the mavic 1 and 2 are built into the headset 4 in total 2×2.4 2×5.8

The 2 antenna are for racing one for drone one for RE headset the antenna for the mavic 1 and 2 are built into the headset 4 in total 2×2.4 2×5.8
So I guess your saying they are both alike and 5.8ghz analog video for racing drones. Correct? It would be nice if DJI explained that in the detailed manual. I have read many posts that DJI doesn't do a very good job explaining things in their user manuals.

Correct. Since they're polarized the opposite way of most antennas people might already have they give you a matched set.

Correct. Since they're polarized the opposite way of most antennas people might already have they give you a matched set.
Buy your answere I now understand why folks are complaining of poor range because of the very small ckt bd antennas built into the goggles. Assuming the goggles receive the video directly from the Mavic. Now I wonder if my Atlas booster will affect the goggles receiving the Mavic video in any way

So I guess your saying they are both alike and 5.8ghz analog video for racing drones. Correct? It would be nice if DJI explained that in the detailed manual. I have read many posts that DJI doesn't do a very good job explaining things in their user manuals.
You've got it

Buy your answere I now understand why folks are complaining of poor range because of the very small ckt bd antennas built into the goggles. Assuming the goggles receive the video directly from the Mavic. Now I wonder if my Atlas booster will affect the goggles receiving the Mavic video in any way
Has nothing to do with this, the internal antennas work just as far as the controller to many km's.

Booster on the remote won't change a thing for goggles, at least not positively - they could cause a loss actually.

Has nothing to do with this, the internal antennas work just as far as the controller to many km's.

Booster on the remote won't change a thing for goggles, at least not positively - they could cause a loss actually.
That's actually what I meant. Since I thought the Atlas booster transmitter might interfere with the goggles receiver.
We call it receiver degradation in the RF world. Any comments would be welcome before I try the goggles with the Atlas Booster on the controller.

That's actually what I meant. Since I thought the Atlas booster transmitter might interfere with the goggles receiver.
We call it receiver degradation in the RF world. Any comments would be welcome before I try the goggles with the Atlas Booster on the controller.
So I kindve agree that the Atlas isnt going to help your rsnge if you use them with the Goggles RE, as I believe the RE antenna cluster, within the headband, take over when the RE are powered on & connected to the Mavic 2. This isnt known by me, just what Ive observed.

I agree with your comment about the RE antennas working as well as the Mavic 2, however, there is a difference between the Mavic 2 RC and the RE Goggles and it has to do with the fact that the RE are running their own customized version of GO4, and its in this software is where the problem, or at least a MAJOR part of the problem lies. The RE software doesnt handle RF interference well at all. Even the slightest bit of Interference causes that RF range limitation. This is also just my opinion from observations. This is also why I believe it is fixable. Lets hope so

I agree with your comment about the RE antennas working as well as the Mavic 2, however, there is a difference between the Mavic 2 RC and the RE Goggles and it has to do with the fact that the RE are running their own customized version of GO4, and its in this software is where the problem, or at least a MAJOR part of the problem lies. The RE software doesnt handle RF interference well at all. Even the slightest bit of Interference causes that RF range limitation. This is also just my opinion from observations. This is also why I believe it is fixable. Lets hope so
Just to add to this, I say this because Ive actually had a few 2+ mile flights, great signal the entire flight, with the RE Goggles connected the entire time and the only difference between those and the countless 1000ft B&W screen, instant loss of signal, flights with the RE, was the good flights were done over Lake Michigan, where there was absolutely zero RF Interference. Hope this helps explain the why of my statements.

The Goggles RE work at the exact same range as the RC when used with a Mavic 1, which means the antennas are perfectly fine.

It's not the case with the Mavic 2 but given the above it must be because DJI screwed up something at the software or protocol level.

The Goggles RE work at the exact same range as the RC when used with a Mavic 1, which means the antennas are perfectly fine.

It's not the case with the Mavic 2 but given the above it must be because DJI screwed up something at the software or protocol level.
Yes exactly my thoughts... I just wish I couldve been as concise as you in as many words!

Can anyone explain why there are two antennas that come with the basic RE?
The detailed manual does not explain why. They both look alike.

I just realized that things got a little off track from the OP question...

Both Antennas are exactly the same... They are 5.8Ghz Pagoda antennas, one is just a backup.

There are 2 other types of external Antennas made for the SMA port on the RE but those only come with the separate wireless camera kit. (Those antennas are dual band)

The Pagodas are designed to be for the RE when operating in 5.8G Analog (the freq band that FPV Quad Racers use) where as the Mav2 uses Dualband digital modulation, Occusync 2.0, which is a hybrid of OFDM and FHSS (just Google, its pretty cool).

This is all what I believe based on general research but it could be partially wrong so check on it yourselves!

As a side note: the Pagoda has been said to help during flight with the Mavic2 but not a complete fix, and many ssy it does nothing so take from that what you will.

This is all what I believe based on general research but it could be partially wrong so check on it yourselves!
The answer to his question was already given, so what good is adding something you're not sure about?

The answer to his question was already given, so what good is adding something you're not sure about?
I didnt see the answer, I saw several wrong answers about one for each band, etc

And I am sure, the point is not to always believe what you read on forums, as there are OFTEN alot of people guessing and spresding misinformation, I like to put a discaimer on everything so people are informed but dont stop with the forums... There are much better and more reliable sources of information.

I will agree I shouldve worded my disclaimer a bit better. Apologies for that.

Last edited:
I just realized that things got a little off track from the OP question...

Both Antennas are exactly the same... They are 5.8Ghz Pagoda antennas, one is just a backup.

There are 2 other types of external Antennas made for the SMA port on the RE but those only come with the separate wireless camera kit. (Those antennas are dual band)

The Pagodas are designed to be for the RE when operating in 5.8G Analog (the freq band that FPV Quad Racers use) where as the Mav2 uses Dualband digital modulation, Occusync 2.0, which is a hybrid of OFDM and FHSS (just Google, its pretty cool).

As a side note: the Pagoda has been said to help during flight with the Mavic2 but not a complete fix, and many ssy it does nothing so take from that what you will.
Thanks jzilla80.
I am familiar with OFDM. We here at Motorola use it on our point to point microwave systems. it works very well. Nice to know the MP2 uses it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000