DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why was I allowed to take off w/gimbal cover on?

good point but remembering to remove the gimbal lock is all down to you the pilot,lots of people put a bright coloured label of some sort on the cover to remind them to remove it,or you could make it part of your pre flight check list it will come with practice you really do need to remove it though as it could damage the gimbal if left on

.... I did the same rookie move... added small piece of vinyl tape to the cover..image.jpg

..... the more obvious, the better!

What’s the fuss all about? Personally I think the OE unit is great and dead easy to install once you’ve done it a few times. I go through the same preflight as I did with my P3A (and the gimbal support on that is an utter PITA to mount!) and that’s the last thing to be removed.

Excellent! I just put 3 small strips of white gaffers tape on both sides and the front of the gimble cover. They are now visible from all directions.
No more screw-ups!

Yep, another newbie mistake. Been flying mishap free just a week now. Knock on wood, no crashes. Yesterday I took off and hovered at 3 feet and rotated bird and noticed darn gimbal cover is on. I land, remove cover and reboot everything. It didn't seem to harm anything as I continued to enjoy three successful flights.

But why did the system let me take off? I would have thought the bird would report a camera gimbal failure of some sort and not display, "Ready to Fly".

I welcome all feedback. Thank. Steve
keep an eye on your phone/tablet screen on power up/ takeoff, it will give notifications of anything wrong, in this case it should say "gimble overloaded"

keep an eye on your phone/tablet screen on power up/ takeoff, it will give notifications of anything wrong, in this case it should say "gimble overloaded"
Agree, do this, but also get one of the pieces of equipment discussed above, tag, aftermarket guard, etc. and use a checklist to prevent seeing the aforementioned last resort warning.

Happened to me once at the start...never allowed it to happen again..! Probably got a warning..didn't notice it...certainly didn't notice the display..! Later i thought...how could i b so stupid....nervousness accounts for a lot of mistakes..
Happened to me too last week on Mavic 2 Z. Fell off before I could land. Second time in 650 flights. P4p once behaved like beeing drunk after takeoff over the Rhine river...

Didn't notice display either. Will paint new one black inside...

Schönen Tag you all..

Reactions: Dronage
Pilots of manned aircraft always do a walk-around before getting into the aeroplane. Items such as the pitot head have covers with a trailing red ribbon as a reminder to remove before flight.

I have done the same with the gimbal cover on my Mavic Pro. The ribbon is permanently attached to the gimbal cover: after fitting the cover, the ribbon is then trailed back over the power button on the battery and simply held in place with a spot of blue-tack.

Reactions: frank candor
i was doing fine until i read the first of this thread, now i've gone and left mine on for the first time ever, started it up had a picture, had a location, didn't walk around, took off, got a warning, DOH!
(in a hurry SOP)

If I got a gimbal overload message, I did not see it. What brought it to my attention was that I could not aim the camera downward. I tried but luckily I did not tear the gimbal's guts out. I then realize the guard was still on. Brought it down quickly. I now have a bright red ribbon attached to the guard. Hard to miss the 5 inches of red.

Reactions: frank candor
On my Mavic Pro, I painted the plastic Gimbal cover RED, as a reminder that my camera lock is on.
The plastic bubble is useless to video or take pictures thru, so when ever I want to fly, it reminds me by looking
at it to remove the plastic bubble and lock before flying. It works for me. Happy flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope