DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why would anyone upgrade from a MA 1 to a MA 2?

jeffcutler

Reactions
Honest and unloaded question. If you have a MA1, why would you ever upgrade? Its distance is easily beyond LOS, so you don't need more distance, the controller feed is better than the Fly App feed, and aside from 60 fps at 4k, the Air 1 does everything the Air 2 can do. Or am I missing something. **Came to the MA 2 discussion to find out what makes your craft so much better than the original. Thanks in advance. J

Reactions: Richiebricker
Adding some perspective.... I just got a bonus of a few thousand dollars and I am contemplating whether to spend my money in the Scooter; Drone; Photography; or Car realm. If I put the $$ toward a drone, I'm really iffy on whether the MA 2 is an upgrade and if I shouldn't bite the bullet and got for a 2 Zoom. Thanks. J

Bigger camara sensor, longer flight time, air sense, quieter,
Flight time is the biggest reason. If you're flying 107, who cares if you're noisy? House isn't going to run away on a real estate shoot. Film stuff is usually overdubbed. But yes, I could definitely be really happy with another 12-15 minutes. Thanks! J

It's tracking is better, obstacle avoidance is better it will go around things, not just stop
That's something big. I thought OA was the same across the line - DEAD STOP when you get to something squarely in the way. How often do you use that?

Range and noise. I had an MA1 originally and was lucky if I was able to go 1000ft before losing signal and RTH kicking in. At the same location (the beach), I have gone 6000ft (over the ocean) with full signal on the meter. I only come back because I don't care for the drone being that far away over water, but if something bad happens it's only going in the drink and no one gets hurt.

I didn't care for the angry bee hive sound of the MA1. The MA2 is less obnoxious in that regard.

Last edited:
Flight time is the biggest reason. If you're flying 107, who cares if you're noisy? House isn't going to run away on a real estate shoot. Film stuff is usually overdubbed. But yes, I could definitely be really happy with another 12-15 minutes. Thanks! J
Noise is a big factor. The angry bees sound of the MA annoys everyone around you, whether you are flying legally or not. A quiet drone makes for happy neighbors and bystanders, and a happier pilot!

Huge difference in battery life, huge difference in signal stability and range, better AT with APAS, future support (try getting MA1 batteries), 4k60, super slomo 240fps, HDR video, bigger sensor, better operating temperature range (-10C for MA2, 0C for MA), supporting hyperlapses, way quieter

Honest and unloaded question. If you have a MA1, why would you ever upgrade? Its distance is easily beyond LOS, so you don't need more distance, the controller feed is better than the Fly App feed, and aside from 60 fps at 4k, the Air 1 does everything the Air 2 can do. Or am I missing something. **Came to the MA 2 discussion to find out what makes your craft so much better than the original. Thanks in advance. J
Dude are you serious,my mavic air 1 would only fly for 14 min tops even with a new battery being purchased,now I get 27min flying all over the place,if that’s not enough to buy the ma2 then I don’t what is,plus all the other upgrades,I kinda can’t believe this question was even asked lol but I hope you get or stay with whatever your happy with,good luck!!

Reactions: vjpapa
I loved my 1. Then I bought a 2. Love affair with the 1 is over! Ocusync is SO much better! I have a ton more confidence now. Only downside is that the 2 doesn't work with Litchi.

There’s already a beta version of Litchi supporting the MA2

Dude are you serious,my mavic air 1 would only fly for 14 min tops even with a new battery being purchased,now I get 27min flying all over the place,if that’s not enough to buy the ma2 then I don’t what is,plus all the other upgrades,I kinda can’t believe this question was even asked lol but I hope you get or stay with whatever your happy with,good luck!!
I don't have anything to compare it to and trust you guys more than YouTube. I really have had only one time that battery life was an issue...though I do have three batteries.

I asked because I was about to buy another battery for it ($80) and thought, that's $80 I could put toward a new craft. I would like more stability of signal...but have only lost that once in 100 missions. My iPad goes kaput in the cold far earlier than the Air.

But I think you guys have convinced me. Thanks! J

The 2 is lightyears better than the 1. The 2x zoom is great... the 4x is horrible but useful at times. There are big differences all around. Just being able to do a hyperlapse on a stormy day makes it worth the money!
That being said. I really like my 1 and I fly it all the time. I'm down to one battery on the 1 but it charges much faster than the 2 and usually after I download the sd card and take a look at the results the battery is charged and ready to go again. Both drones are super noisy. don't let anyone tell you that they're not.

I’m sticking with MA1 for the moment. Main reason , don’t think I’d have any more flying enjoyment by upgrading . With this virus can’t really fly anymore. Perhaps when things are more normal, in the future, will see what’s available. Maybe MA3 ?

I loved my 1. Then I bought a 2. Love affair with the 1 is over! Ocusync is SO much better! I have a ton more confidence now. Only downside is that the 2 doesn't work with Litchi.
Hi. I just upgraded after procrastinating for months. I loved my MA1 but apart from the controller I wouldn’t go back at all. The controller is just different rather than worse, i’l get used to it. In saying that, your question seems to be what to spend your bonus on. If you have a MA1 then i’d spend the money on another item. Just my thoughts though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf