DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why would anyone upgrade from a MA 1 to a MA 2?

Honest and unloaded question. If you have a MA1, why would you ever upgrade? Its distance is easily beyond LOS, so you don't need more distance, the controller feed is better than the Fly App feed, and aside from 60 fps at 4k, the Air 1 does everything the Air 2 can do. Or am I missing something. **Came to the MA 2 discussion to find out what makes your craft so much better than the original. Thanks in advance. J
Geez,,,,,,,,,,,Can you say Troll.

I don't think it was "Trolling". Bottom line as mentioned is Ocusync, but we forget about the things the MA 1 does that the MA 2 does not.
MA 1 does:
1. Gestures which include: follow, pictures & video activation.
2. Does have APAS first version, (works fairly well).
3. Can be operated using Gestures only, (no RC or phone required).
4 Can be flown with phone/tablet only, (WIFI).
5 Uses Go 4 which requires less processing power, (older phones work).
6 Top speed is comparable.
7 Smaller, weighs less & more compact when folded.

It is a noisy little devil, but the MA props help and do provide additional flight time. With a good battery and the MA props my typical flight times are 16-17 minutes with 20% battery remaining. YMMV

Reactions: Verdrone
I have both and the MA1 is a great little drone but the extra flight time coupled with extra batteries at less than half price, £50 for mini 2 and £105 for MA1 if you can get them and finally occusync.
It’s not worth selling the Mavic Air 1 combo and extras I have because after the release of the mini 2 the price has dropped and coupled with the battery supply shortage for the Air 1 no one seems to want them.

I have both and the MA1 is a great little drone but the extra flight time coupled with extra batteries at less than half price, £50 for mini 2 and £105 for MA1 if you can get them and finally occusync.
It’s not worth selling the Mavic Air 1 combo and extras I have because after the release of the mini 2 the price has dropped and coupled with the battery supply shortage for the Air 1 no one seems to want them.
I think DJI will only give you 150 for a good used one.

I think DJI will only give you 150 for a good used one.
You can never go by trade-in deals with electronics. Always much less than actual value.
Maybe if it was last year's model.

I had an HTC 8, upgraded to HTC 10 4 years ago. Trade-in was like $50 or $150, can't remember but still ridiculous. I gave the 8 to my dad for Christmas and put him on my plan. I wish he'd use it more.

Bottom
line.....
Ocusync

There’s already a beta version of Litchi supporting the MA2
This is the most impressive RANGE TEST i’ve ever seen and a great testimonial for both the MA2 and OcuSync.

4+ miles each way - windward & return - and still 17% battery remaining. This is a screen recording of the controller video - Except for the ship’s radio interference, there’s barely a hint of a video glitch (or breakup. Ocusync 2 is amazing.

Honest and unloaded question. If you have a MA1, why would you ever upgrade? Its distance is easily beyond LOS, so you don't need more distance, the controller feed is better than the Fly App feed, and aside from 60 fps at 4k, the Air 1 does everything the Air 2 can do. Or am I missing something. **Came to the MA 2 discussion to find out what makes your craft so much better than the original. Thanks in advance. J
I did upgrade from the original to the MA2. I really, really liked the original. That being said, the MA2 is MUCH better for all the reasons outlined here. It handles better, too. It can do SO much more than the original. Glad I upgraded.

Im not trading my Air 1 although the Air 2 is slightly quieter but there have been hundreds of posts in this forum saying the Air 2 just drops out of the sky

Dude are you serious,my mavic air 1 would only fly for 14 min tops even with a new battery being purchased,now I get 27min flying all over the place,if that’s not enough to buy the ma2 then I don’t what is,plus all the other upgrades,I kinda can’t believe this question was even asked lol but I hope you get or stay with whatever your happy with,good luck!!
WOW, The dude loves his Air 1 as do I. Its still one of the best engineered bits of technology that regular people can own. Maybe hes just starting his research on it and wondered what air 2 owners thought. There are no bad questions, but maybe some bad answers

Where are you located that the so called pandemic is restricting you from flying?
I’m sticking with MA1 for the moment. Main reason , don’t think I’d have any more flying enjoyment by upgrading . With this virus can’t really fly anymore. Perhaps when things are more normal, in the future, will see what’s available. Maybe MA3 ?

350+ Flights on my MA2 and it's never dropped from the sky. Aside from the pesky updates causing some issues a month ago I have 0 complaints. Can't say much for the air because I've never owned or personally flown one. But I will say the MA2 is one of the most impressive drones I've ever flown.

Adding some perspective.... I just got a bonus of a few thousand dollars and I am contemplating whether to spend my money in the Scooter; Drone; Photography; or Car realm. If I put the $$ toward a drone, I'm really iffy on whether the MA 2 is an upgrade and if I shouldn't bite the bullet and got for a 2 Zoom. Thanks. J
I bought the MA2 "fly more package with Smart Controller" for $1399 which I highly recommend! You won't be disappointed- larger sensor, myriad of video options, easy/quick set up, incredible bright screen, no phone cords or interruptions to deal with, near flawless firmware updates and so much more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa