DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why would I crash over water?

Thanks. Well, that advise is pretty obvious and doesn't address the question. There is a problem fling over water in certain situations. That is clear from several posts. I can be incredibly careful at 3 feet over the water but I'm guessing that could be trouble if we're talking a lake with glass smooth water. On the other hand if there is slight wind with ripples, possibly not. So do I just experiment and hope for the best or does someone have an answer to my question, either from experience or from specific knowledge of the sensor function?

Experiment and get back to us with the results.

Thanks. Well, that advise is pretty obvious and doesn't address the question. There is a problem fling over water in certain situations. That is clear from several posts. I can be incredibly careful at 3 feet over the water but I'm guessing that could be trouble if we're talking a lake with glass smooth water. On the other hand if there is slight wind with ripples, possibly not. So do I just experiment and hope for the best or does someone have an answer to my question, either from experience or from specific knowledge of the sensor function?

There is *zero* issue over water if you pay attention, the only issue is if you're relying on the downward facing sensors to maintain altitude. It's not going to fall out of the sky or faceplant into the water. Like I said, pay attention to your flying.

Reactions: EasyV
There is *zero* issue over water if you pay attention, the only issue is if you're relying on the downward facing sensors to maintain altitude. It's not going to fall out of the sky or faceplant into the water. Like I said, pay attention to your flying.
Ok, great advice! I've read a number of posts that seem to indicate there is something about proximity to water when flying in a certain mode that activates the landing sequence. Are you suggesting this is nonsense and inaccurate or are you suggesting the individual pilots were just not paying attention? Happy to consider either possibility. Just want to be careful and not do something that would cause a forced water landing. Obviously, loss of battery power would cause this. Not what I'm talking about.

and if it's none of the above blame it on a bird or seagull taking down or attacking your mavic.

• "DO NOT fly closely above reflective surfaces such as water or snow, as these terrain may affect the performance of the Vision Positioning System".

This comes from the Disclaimer and Safety Manual and may get to the question I am interested in. If the water is a stream or the ocean there will be no reflection. If a lake with no wind, could be a problem. What is the mechanism by which the sensors work?

Ok, I have finally and completely read the Disclaimer and Safety Manual. It clearly states the sensors may not work properly if flying over water, specifically referring to clear, reflective, or monochrome surfaces. Pretty sure this will be limited to low altitude over still water. I will plan to stay well above such surfaces. Chase R, would you check that out for us?

If you're within range of the downward sensors, your Mavic might not hold its altitude as well. Also, it'll report an incorrect VPS altitude in DJI GO. Neither should cause a crash. Well, unless your Mavic is very close to the surface water and Forced Landing mode activates.

In short, it's not a good idea to fly close to the surface of the water (or the ground). It's one of the biggest obstacles you'll encounter.

The Earth is THE biggest obstacle you should encounter

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78