DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why would you disable sideways flight?

fiddle with your settings in normal mode when flying. Aggravated me as well.

Reactions: RS6_Pilot
Obviously I'm newer to this but somehow disable sideways flight was selected on mavic air 2.

Why would I want this? Why wouldn't I?

Thank you.
It doesn’t have side obstacle sensors so disabling sideways flight means you always fly in an orientation that has obstacle avoidance. Especially with automated flight modes it’s safer with sideways flight disabled but of course that means the aircraft can’t fly sideways.

It doesn’t have side obstacle sensors so disabling sideways flight means you always fly in an orientation that has obstacle avoidance. Especially with automated flight modes it’s safer with sideways flight disabled but of course that means the aircraft can’t fly sideways.
Ahhhh okay that makes sense.

Well I just have to be extra careful because that's very limiting in capturing panning shots. Okay thanks.

Reactions: ldallara-air2
The Fly app lacks "Course Lock" so disabling sideways movement is the next best thing. Often times I find I have inadvertently moved the stick just slightly left or right ruining the shot when a straight course is required.

As mentioned above it's because of the lack of side sensors mainly. I'd also add and just as important we don't have side cameras either.

So you may be hovering happily with no obstacles. And directly besides you could be a tree branch. No Sensors so you won't hear a beep and no video of it as far as you are concerned you could be totally clear. Hit the left stick and blammo.

so it's a worthy setting especially for handing over to newbies or kids etc. Most videos on youtube of drones going down are people flying directly sideways into Tree's, Cliffs, buildings, etc. With no idea it was coming it seems.

As a new flyer consider everythinbg to the sides of your craft as a blind spot. I will try always to have a very good idea of what is to the sides and even the rear of the craft.

It's always a good idea to "peek" left and right with a yaw to check for potential hazards on the sides, and, as they say in the military, "watch your six!" especially when flying backwards!

thanks for sharing!

It is DJI trying to help noobs from crashing their drone by flying sideways. It is one of the easiest ways to crash your drone because you are flying in an orientation where you cannot see any obstacles!! So what you do is you first check your surroundings and THEN you may proceed with any sideways maneuvers keeping in mind where the nearest obstacles are. So yes, being a drone pilot takes more skill in some aspects than being a regular helicopter or airplane pilot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming