DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wide-angle lens for video | Experience?

Boost DS

Reactions
Thinking about getting the wide-angle lens for my M4P but I'm looking for feedback before pulling the trigger. I guess I could just throw $40 at it and find out myself but I'm trying to be more selective with my accessory purchases as there is a ton of cool stuff out there and and I'm starting to get the side-eye when the Amazon truck shows up... My dilemma is that I'm a big fan of ND filters for both photo and video and it doesn't look like that will be an option with the wide-angle. From the looks of past threads it seems like some people are filter people and some people aren't but I'll take anyone's advice. I feel like I can get away without the filters for most pictures, so wide is an option there, but could I get a similar effect stitching together a pano? I feel like I would have to compromise heavier with video though as I shoot a lot mid-day. I mean, let's be serious, I'm probably buying the thing either way. Still interested what everyone has to say! (Edit: Grammar)

Last edited:
I live in a big wide open place and just about every comparison video I look at, the ones from the wide angle lens appears to be better in every way. I'm a fan; I always purchase the wide-angle accessory for my non-FPV drones.

Reactions: Boost DS
I live in a big wide open place and just about every comparison video I look at, the ones from the wide angle lens appears to be better in every way. I'm a fan; I always purchase the wide-angle accessory for my non-FPV drones.
I was able to find a couple videos after I posted and it looks like it's worth having in the arsenal, even if only situationally. Still not sure it'll do what I hope it will but worth a go... Side question, do you ever fly the M4P in FPV mode or do you reserve that for a dedicated FPV drone? I know it won't handle like an Avata but it rips in sport mode.

I was able to find a couple videos after I posted and it looks like it's worth having in the arsenal, even if only situationally. Still not sure it'll do what I hope it will but worth a go... Side question, do you ever fly the M4P in FPV mode or do you reserve that for a dedicated FPV drone? I know it won't handle like an Avata but it rips in sport mode.
No sorry, FPV flying for me is strictly reserved for DJI FPV and DJI Avata drones....and soon to be Neo! :)

If it's ever a choice between NDs and the wide angle, then the NDs are almost certainly needed more because of that 1.7 fixed aperture. I chose not to get the wide angle when I bought the drone, and can't say I've ever missed it !

Reactions: Boost DS
If it's ever a choice between NDs and the wide angle, then the NDs are almost certainly needed more because of that 1.7 fixed aperture. I chose not to get the wide angle when I bought the drone, and can't say I've ever missed it !
I have a feeling it would be one of my least utilized accessories but it's pretty small so it'll fit in the bag.... except for the one time I actually want to use it, that'll be the time I left it at home lol. I also find it funny how much of a selective cheapskate I am. I'll walk out of the grocery store over a dozen eggs costing $5 but when it comes to a $40 piece of $0.05 plastic for my $1,200 "toy" it all of a sudden seems like a great investment. 🤣

Reactions: Len750
I rather like using the wide angle lenses. I have one for the M3Cine and the Mini 4 Pro. I just got the M4P and concurrently the DJI Wide. It is actually quite nice. I finally took it out today, coincidentally shot a couple of stills with it. It does a nice job. I also tried it out wit the VR Glasses, where it really makes it look better. Wides, tele's all personal preference. Just depends on what you are looking for. Paint with the brush that pleases you.
DJI Wide.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluffman2