DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi Only iPad and RTH controller

Dur8an Poison

Reactions
Hey all. Has anyone had experience with using a WiFi Only tablet and then using the RTH back to controller (not RTH back to launch area).

Am I correct I’m presuming that it won’t work unless the iPad is hotspot connected to my phone (in pocket) and then the drone will use the PHONE not iPads location to return back to me.

Or do I need to rather buy a WiFi and 4G iPad to do RTH to controller.

Any experience and advise appreciated.
Thanks

Am I correct I’m presuming that it won’t work unless the iPad is hotspot connected to my phone (in pocket) and then the drone will use the PHONE not iPads location to return back to me.
If you're trying to set the home point to the mobile device's current location, then your mobile device needs to contain a GPS receiver. Connecting to a hotspot on another mobile device that contains a GPS receiver will not work.

YOur tablet need GPS, not cell signal. IF the tablet does not have GPS it can get that info from the cell phone in your pocket via hotspot wifi. But won't be as accurate as a built-in GPS.
That is my experience with my 6th gen ipad with wifi only.
My question would be if your tablet has the cellular ability but no cell subscription, will it still pick up GPS location via the cell tower triangulation?

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
IF the tablet does not have GPS it can get that info from the cell phone in your pocket via hotspot wifi. But won't be as accurate as a built in GPS.
That won't allow you to set the home point to the cell phone's location.

That won't allow you to set the home point to the cell phone's location.

Thank you. It is an iPad 6 WiFi only in question. My mind is hoping that it could use the GPS but hoping and finding out from other with actual experience is different.

Ok so if you have tried and it doesn’t work then the only other option would be to fly with my mobile phone if a RTH to controller could be needed.

Are there any other concerns or restrictions with flying with a WiFi only iPad that anyone has experienced?

Reactions: Stockmanager
The remote controller has GPS
The remote controller does not contain a GPS receiver.

When using a mobile device that does not contain a GPS receiver, the home point can only be set to the drone's location. And RTH will of course work either way since the drone uses its internal GPS receiver to fly back to the last marked home point.

The remote controller does not contain a GPS receiver.

When using a mobile device that does not contain a GPS receiver, the home point can only be set to the drone's location. And RTH will of course work either way since the drone uses its internal GPS receiver to fly back to the last marked home point.

Ok, sounds good, I will retract my prevoius post and make a note to self. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes