DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wifi vs. Mobile web.

Mrjmavicpro

Reactions
I'm considering buying Mavic Air 2. My old Mavic Pro has died, I fear.

How does this drone perform using typical house Wi-Fi vs. Mobile Web cellular?

I want to use it at our ranch in Eastern Oregon because it has a 6 mile range, but there's no cellular service on most of the property. We have internet and Wi-Fi at our headquarters but it is at the edge of the property so I need the range to go to the far side. I never actually tried home Wi-Fi with my Mavic Pro when it was working, so I don't even have that as comparison. I'm just concerned that if using the regular house internet the latency might be a problem.

Thoughts on this?

You dont need to worry about internet access other than downloading maps. You can cache your maps before heading away from wifi range so this is really not an issue.
The system uses radio frequency direct from controller to drone so doesnt matter where you are
You should be fine

Doesn't it need internet access to broadcast the camera feed?
No you dont need it to get video back to your device.
If you however at setup to stream the video to somewhere else via the web, you will need wifi. I dont think this is what you are doing though, so you should be ok

No you dont need it to get video back to your device.
If you however at setup to stream the video to somewhere else via the web, you will need wifi. I dont think this is what you are doing though, so you should be ok
No, apparently I don't understand how it actually works 😆 Which should not surprise me, I suppose. I didn't realize the drone was directly transmitting the images to the screen without any internet connection.

All said above but just wanted to add, (what most people do anyway), I turn off wifi on my iPhone before I turn everything on. Having wifi on during flight with a wifi signal nearby can be distracting as you continue to receive messages, alerts etc.

Reactions: adrocor
I want to use it at our ranch in Eastern Oregon because it has a 6 mile range,

Don't expect to be able to maintain a connection between the controller and the aircraft out to six miles. The range figure given in the specs is under ideal conditions and is never achieved in the real world.

I generally figure about half the cited spec range is what's realistic in 'most' circumstances. The factory spec assumes uninterrupted line of site, I think. I don't know too many places in Oregon where we can get a 6 mile line unbroken by hills, trees, etc. Does 3-4 miles range seem realistic for Air 2?
I've been comparing specs on comparable drones from other brands, but tbh their ranges are extremely limited by comparison to DJI. Is that correct or am I missing something?

All said above but just wanted to add, (what most people do anyway), I turn off wifi on my iPhone before I turn everything on. Having wifi on during flight with a wifi signal nearby can be distracting as you continue to receive messages, alerts etc.
Thanks, I'll do that now that I know the drone doesn't actually require internet access to work. I have turned off notifications in the past. I agree it's disruptive to flight.

Reactions: twickers14
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661