DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

wild duck recording...

edfrombama

Reactions
Good afternoon to all-
I was driving one of the many rural backroads in Baldwin County, Alabama where I reside and what did I see on a small stock pond just off the road? A flock of black belly whistling ducks- yes, i assure you, there are such birds living here in the wilds.
So i pulled off in a safe spot, fired up my Mini 2 and launched it toward the pond and the ducks. I expected the ducks to flush wild and fly away, and at first, they did seem a little bit nervous, but they stayed at the pond.
Now, here's the thing I observed. If I let the Mini 2 hover with no rapid flight changes or altitude adjustments, the ducks very quickly got used to the presence of the drone and ignored it. I was able to get ten minutes or more of good footage from an altitude of around 60 feet. With the 2x and 4x magnification, I was able to get some very good closeups of the ducks.
And these are not tamed ducks by any stretch. Very wild, very flighty ducks.
So, what did I learn? Fly quietly, Fly slowly. Let the subject get used to the drone, and good things just might happen.

You all be safe and keep well- Ed

Reactions: Mrveronn
Post your duck findings on youtube, once you made a video, youtube will give you a video link which you can post it here for all to see.
Easypeasy........for some.

Good evening to all-
Panther- Thanks for the information. However, i choose to not use youtube for any reason, so I guess that puts me out in the cold as far as posting videos goes. thanks for your help- Ed

I did the same thing with some wild mallards earlier this year. Was only about 30-40ft altitude. If you don't use YT, you can try Vimeo and link it the same way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart