DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

wild duck recording...

edfrombama

Reactions
Good afternoon to all-
I was driving one of the many rural backroads in Baldwin County, Alabama where I reside and what did I see on a small stock pond just off the road? A flock of black belly whistling ducks- yes, i assure you, there are such birds living here in the wilds.
So i pulled off in a safe spot, fired up my Mini 2 and launched it toward the pond and the ducks. I expected the ducks to flush wild and fly away, and at first, they did seem a little bit nervous, but they stayed at the pond.
Now, here's the thing I observed. If I let the Mini 2 hover with no rapid flight changes or altitude adjustments, the ducks very quickly got used to the presence of the drone and ignored it. I was able to get ten minutes or more of good footage from an altitude of around 60 feet. With the 2x and 4x magnification, I was able to get some very good closeups of the ducks.
And these are not tamed ducks by any stretch. Very wild, very flighty ducks.
So, what did I learn? Fly quietly, Fly slowly. Let the subject get used to the drone, and good things just might happen.

You all be safe and keep well- Ed

Reactions: Mrveronn
Post your duck findings on youtube, once you made a video, youtube will give you a video link which you can post it here for all to see.
Easypeasy........for some.

Good evening to all-
Panther- Thanks for the information. However, i choose to not use youtube for any reason, so I guess that puts me out in the cold as far as posting videos goes. thanks for your help- Ed

I did the same thing with some wild mallards earlier this year. Was only about 30-40ft altitude. If you don't use YT, you can try Vimeo and link it the same way.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karajovic