DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will be buying a Mini 4 Pro in a week or so - What essentials should I get with it?

Feek

Reactions
I'm probably going to be pulling the trigger on a Mini 4 Pro More Combo with the RC-2 controller in the next week or so, the 20% discount for new accounts on Very is really pulling me in.

Coming from a Mini 2, what accessories would you consider to be essential? I understand the Mini 4 doesn't come with an actual PSU so I was thinking about an Apple USB-C 30W charger, also from Very as it'll be included in the 20% off. There's no point in going higher than 30W, according to the manual, that's the maximum supported charge power.

I have a landing pad, I have a handful of 64Gb SD cards.

Care Refresh seems to be £119 for two years direct from DJI, is there any way to legitimately get it cheaper than this?

What other essentials should I consider for the Mini 4 Pro?

Thanks.

Reactions: SkyMaus and FASTFJR
Mine arrived late last week, and I've had a chance to play with it for a while.
It came with a bunch of stuff in a bundle, much of which I'm not sure I'll ever use.

Some thoughts:

I charge my battery bank and RC simultaneously. Being able to share wattage across 2 ports made it worth having a more powerful unit.
You've obviously got your routine, I just wanted to offer a newbie perspective.

The M4P requires its own ND filters, older model filters do not fit. If you need/use them, you'll need new ones.

I bought a fourth battery so that I could have a full stack in the charger, and one on the drone. I'm not entirely sure this was a necessary purchase yet as I rarely spend more than 15 minutes in the air in a session.

The hard case that came in my bundle, although it gives me somewhere to keep my landing pad, I'm not convinced it's any better than the standard soft case. It's certainly less convenient to carry about.

GBP$60 per year is pretty cheap insurance if you ask me. I know I wouldn't even blink at spending 5 quid a week on frivolous purchases, chocolate and other junk food.

Reactions: Feek
I'm probably going to be pulling the trigger on a Mini 4 Pro More Combo with the RC-2 controller in the next week or so, the 20% discount for new accounts on Very is really pulling me in.

Coming from a Mini 2, what accessories would you consider to be essential? I understand the Mini 4 doesn't come with an actual PSU so I was thinking about an Apple USB-C 30W charger, also from Very as it'll be included in the 20% off. There's no point in going higher than 30W, according to the manual, that's the maximum supported charge power.

Care Refresh seems to be £119 for two years direct from DJI, is there any way to legitimately get it cheaper than this?

Thanks.

You'll have the hardware essentials, other than a charger. I'd suggest flying it for a while and see if a need arises for anything else. One possible early addition is a lanyard to support the controller, not necessary but convenient.

For pilot essentials, you can download the manual from DJI now and get familiar with the drone. And consider going through the deep dive course on the Mini 4 Pro at the Pilot Institute.

Enjoy the new drone.

For pilot essentials, you can download the manual from DJI now and get familiar with the drone.
Already have, and I've spent the last fortnight watching so many videos. I'm amazed at how many extra little tweaks have been added since my Mini 2. Cumulatively, every little thing has had the desired effect and that's why I'm buying it. I ordered it today (thank you "Very" for the 20% discount) and it'll be here this week. I've got a screen protector on the way and a 128Gb SD card for the controller.

And consider going through the deep dive course on the Mini 4 Pro at the Pilot Institute.
That looks worth a look, thanks.

Reactions: MS Coast
I charge my battery bank and RC simultaneously. Being able to share wattage across 2 ports made it worth having a more powerful unit.
You've obviously got your routine, I just wanted to offer a newbie perspective.
It's a good point, looking at this charger which should do both the drone and the controller at the same time.

It's arrived, batteries are charging now. It all seems a lot snugger in the soft case than the Mini 2 I've upgraded from, I think I'll need to look at another case.

And consider going through the deep dive course on the Mini 4 Pro at the Pilot Institute.
Done this, it's a decent course but to be honest, having flown the 2 already, there's not much extra in there. If I hadn't already flown the drone or read the manual, it would have been a lot more useful. I don't mind poring over manuals and for something like this, it's essential.

Reactions: MS Coast
It's arrived, batteries are charging now. It all seems a lot snugger in the soft case than the Mini 2 I've upgraded from, I think I'll need to look at another case.
Yeah, I just sat down today to see if I could get the kit back in the soft case as I'd rather travel with that, and leave the hard case in the car.

It's not looking like a comfortable fit, need to push harder than I'd like.

Thanks.
Two very inexpensive things that work very well are a small strobe for seeing it better and folding legs. I really like these legs, they can be left on or easily removed when packed up

are a small strobe for seeing it better

Thanks, I like the look of that, one of those underneath would really make it more visible. Does it cause any issues with flashing appearing on recorded videos or to the landing sensor? There's not a lot of space to fit it on the bottom of the Mini 4, just right at the back, otherwise it'll block the vents.

I don't like the idea of the folding legs though, plus they'll definitely take it over 250g.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Thanks, I like the look of that, one of those underneath would really make it more visible. Does it cause any issues with flashing appearing on recorded videos or to the landing sensor? There's not a lot of space to fit it on the bottom of the Mini 4, just right at the back, otherwise it'll block the vents.

I don't like the idea of the folding legs though, plus they'll definitely take it over 250g.
That strobe is very small, it fits well on the bottom of it and I have never noticed any issues with video or photos. It comes with a bunch of velcro does. What I did my last few flights is to put it on the back of the batteries. I like it, the strobe is angle down a bit and you can clearly see it

Reactions: Feek
That strobe is very small, it fits well on the bottom of it and I have never noticed any issues with video or photos. It comes with a bunch of velcro does. What I did my last few flights is to put it on the back of the batteries. I like it, the strobe is angle down a bit and you can clearly see it
It does seem very bright which is a good thing. I think I’ll be mounting it on the bottom in white strobe mode.

I've got everything now, hopefully the weather will be favourable for a first flight with it this weekend.

N592g3G.jpeg

You will be so very happy with it! As mentioned above, a strobe is very nice, even during the daylight hours.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Had the first flight with my 4 this morning.

Today is a typical bright spring morning and it was very clear, very quickly that I need a sun shield for the screen. With direct sunlight, it was really difficult to see. As soon as I've got home, I've ordered one and it'll be here tomorrow.

I was going to edit the original post with a list of all the bits I bought but I can't so for the benefit of anyone else who might have a similar question, here's the list.

The controller still fits in the case with the sun hood on and it also means the control sticks can be left in place as well. I like that.

Case:
Anti glare screen protector:
Sun hood:
Operator ID stickers:
Landing pad:
Mini strobe, super bright:
USB C charger:

One add-on I'm debating whether to pick up is the wide-angle lens attachment for panoramic shots.
I tried this one and sent it back. I the edges were a bit blurry for lack of a better word. Maybe it was just the one I got

Reactions: ryguy80

Thanks.

Lens Filters --- def invest in some Lens filters for the camera.
pasting a video for review :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne