DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will I need to have cellular service

How often does caching needs to take place for the same area?
DJI offers no time frame for the map cache expiration period in their documentation. Restarting your mobile device should not clear the cache. You should be good to go if you check that the maps are still cached before you head out to fly.

This has been a very helpful thread, thanks. I had been interested in knowing the limitations of using a wi-fi only tablet and the cashing will help.

Don't forget if you visit an area without a cached map you can also enable a personal hotspot on your actual phone and connect to it on the phone that you use to fly to quickly get a map. Many will say disconnect the hotspot before flying to reduce interference but I have found it does not interfere with the Mavic whereas it did with the Phantom.

The other thing to consider is if you want to use apps such as Autoflight Logic that use the phones GPS module you might want to get something with cellular service but don't put in a SIM in there as these will include a GPS module and others may not. Just check the specs.

Thank you sir! Since I'm a newb, hadn't thought about that.
After days of research (that is fun) I bought a refurbished ipad mini 4 for $110 from Amazon, just to use with my new Mavic Air. No Cell service needed and lots cheaper than dropping my iphone 8.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme