DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will it even fly?

BbqJoe

Reactions
I purchased an air2s shortly after its release in 21 and was flying it an I pad mini 5.
It seemed to work pretty well right out of the box, then the updates started.
After almost every release people started complaining about problems, then a release would shortly follow with fixes for the previous release bringing yet more bugs and problems for them to fix.
After going through a number of them, everything seemed to be working fine, and I decided to just quit downloading any more releases to avoid all the headaches, and also because I was happy with the thing the way it was. I did install Litchi when the release for the air2s came out so I could some of its features that the fly app didn't provide, and it worked well.
I live in the middle of nowhere on 80 acres and have no reason to fly it anywhere else, nor do I ever plan to.

Life got quite busy and the last thing I had time for was flying a drone around and honing my skills.

It's now sat for almost a year and a half. A few times I thought I'd fly, charged everything thing up, only to find something more pressing needing attention.
Then the RFID thing came out, and it caused me to lose even more interest.

So I haven't updated in almost two years, I haven't installed rfid or anything else.
The question is, will this thing even fly now?

It probably will BUT here are some thoughts:
After almost every release people started complaining about problems, then a release would shortly follow with fixes for the previous release bringing yet more bugs and problems for them to fix.
As a Drone owner this is one of those things BUT it does not really happen as much as you are led to believe A majority of these complaints come from the owners who rarely use the Drone and are confused about its basic operation in the first place.
YES some Firmware upgrades can give you fits The best way to avoid this is to WAIT and also it is a good idea to go to the DJI website and find the page that describes exactly what that firmware flash is doing. ( its there)
This RID thing Has become the big scary monster in the room ...for NO reason. RID simply broadcasts a number like a license plate. and Its a plate no one will ever see including the Government. UNLESS you break the LAW! SO do not sweat RID!! NOTHING has really changed. Airport Radar systems DO NOT read RID and your drone cannot be seen by air traffic control! only a few Karens who have downloaded cheap apps.
My air2S is up to date with its firmware and Flys brilliantly. If you are the Average Drone pilot there really is no reason not to update the Firmware Just don't do it as soon as their firmware is released Wait at least a few weeks!
One more thing to consider and I do not remember when my RID was turned on in the firmware. BUT Not flashing or going back to a previous version of Firmware for the purpose of avoiding RID is unlawful.

UPDATE your Drone your much better off in the long run.

will this thing even fly now?
Yep! But, you'll want to make sure RID is enabled so you can fly legally.

If you don't want to update your firmware to enable RID, you can attach an external RID module like the Ruko or Holy Stone RID modules.

Reactions: Cafguy
The RID broadcasts from DJI products are via WiFi and people using iOS systems cannot see them due to WiFi restrictions Apple has placed on that type of WiFi reception.

Those running Android products can pick up the broadcasts, but usually have to be within 400 feet to even pick up the RID transmission.

You would be pretty undetectable where you fly.

Thanks all for the unnecessary rid banter and being a good boy and all that.
Sadly no one reads anything anywhere anymore before making their voice and opinions heard.
The question was.......................

WILL IT FLY?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Torque and Cafguy
Sadly no one reads anything anywhere anymore before making their voice and opinions heard.

WILL IT FLY?

I'll avoid any unnecessary banter and suggest that you read this carefully before voicing anything further. Let's be RID of this topic, now.

Fire it up and see.

I'll avoid any unnecessary banter and suggest that you read this carefully before voicing anything further. Let's be RID of this topic, now.

Fire it up and see.

Fire it up and see.
Thank you for your Non-put.

WILL IT FLY?
I answered with a non-banter answer in post #3 above.

If that wasn't clear enough -- it will fly, but it will not be legal.

WILL IT FLY?
You are correct and I should apologize for all that RID Banter.....That you seemed to be miss-informed about and your comments seemed to express in the original post.
I explained this so perhaps you would no longer be scared of the big Government Boogeyman that isnt real.
Sadly no-one reads the posts anymore before complaining or asserting their question wasn't answered.
The ANSWER was..........................

It probably will BUT here are some thoughts:

Will it fly? Was the title of your post...
Your Question apparently WAS:..............
I purchased an air2s shortly after its release in 21 and was flying it an I pad mini 5.
After going through a number of them, everything seemed to be working fine, and I decided to just quit downloading any more releases to avoid all the headaches, and also because I was happy with the thing the way it was. I did install Litchi when the release for the air2s came out so I could some of its features that the fly app didn't provide, and it worked well.
I live in the middle of nowhere on 80 acres and have no reason to fly it anywhere else, nor do I ever plan to.

Life got quite busy and the last thing I had time for was flying a drone around and honing my skills.

It's now sat for almost a year and a half. A few times I thought I'd fly, charged everything thing up, only to find something more pressing needing attention.

So I haven't updated in almost two years, I haven't installed rfid or anything else.

If thats not the question...why all the "unnecessary" Banter and non-input? Just ask WILL IT FLY?
P.S. Others besides yourself read these posts and your comment on RID needed clarification NOT ONLY for yourself but for the benefit of those whom might wish to know this useless non-information. You got a sad face because the other members who told you the same thing are well respected here and Know quite a bit about what they speak.

BY the Way You have most likely killed the batteries charging them to full and storing them so long.....HENCE."Probably"
Thank you My apologies and Hope you get it flying.........

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque and Oldwest2

If you're "in the middle of nowhere" why would RFID bother or concern you.
It's of little concern to folks anyway and does its thing in the background. In your case sounds like it should be no concern at all.

Reactions: Starz
Funny how things change. I asked about flying with out rid with my air 1 on my property a long while back and everyone jumped my case for even thinkin bout it and NOW!! It of no concern to thiis guy. GO FIGURE

Funny how things change. I asked about flying with out rid with my air 1 on my property a long while back and everyone jumped my case for even thinkin bout it and NOW!! It of no concern to thiis guy. GO FIGURE
The OP is not asking about RID. He is asking if his drone will physically fly without installing the latest firmware updates.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmec24