DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will my Samsung s7 work with the mavic pro?

Anyone here use a samsung galaxy s7 for their mavic? if you do does it work fine with the dji go app? even with the lastest update 7.0 for s7

thank you

Last edited:
sorry let me rephrase the question, does the samsung phones work well with the dji go app? i've seen other forums and a lot people have issues with it.
my phone is running 7.0 firmware

sorry let me rephrase the question, does the samsung phones work well with the dji go app? i've seen other forums and a lot people have issues with it.
my phone is running 7.0 firmware

I am using S7 Edge with latest mavic pro firmware, no issue. It well perfectly well ;)

I have the Galaxy S7 (non-Edge) that I have used on and off since I got my Mavic 6 months ago. The DJI GO 4 app crashes on it almost every single flight, sometimes twice. The screen just goes black and then it dumps me back to the main phone menu. This doesn't affect the flight, it just scares you if you're not expecting it. You just need to restart the app, which just takes a second, and then it will continue to work fine, until the next time it crashes.
Needless to say this is a royal pain in the @ss so I switched to the IPAD Mini 4 four months ago - which NEVER crashes / NO issues. I only use the Samsung if I don't happen to have the iPad with me, and it still crashes when I do. I'm using the latest android software, the latest DJI GO 4 version, and always use the latest mavic firmware.

Once you've used a larger screen, like the iPad, flying with a phone screen is a miserable experience. I highly recommend replacing your galaxy phone with the iPad Mini or iPad.

I should add that Sprint is my carrier and I always put the phone into Airplane Mode before flying.

Reactions: esh_31
I never had a problem with Galaxy S7 phone and Nexus 7 tablet. I never turn anything off, not sure why some are experiencing app crashes. USB debug on both. My flights are usually short (10-15 mins). I keep my phone RAM pretty clean by preventing a lot of apps from running in the background. I wouldn't change from Android to the communist IOS just for because of an app crash. If your phone goes buggy, it's usually due to another installed app interfering with your drone app. Uninstall garbage apps from your phone.

I never had a problem with Galaxy S7 phone and Nexus 7 tablet. I never turn anything off, not sure why some are experiencing app crashes. USB debug on both. My flights are usually short (10-15 mins). I keep my phone RAM pretty clean by preventing a lot of apps from running in the background. I wouldn't change from Android to the communist IOS just for because of an app crash. If your phone goes buggy, it's usually due to another installed app interfering with your drone app. Uninstall garbage apps from your phone.

Are you using android version 7.0 on you're s7? and is it with the dji go app 4? I received my mavic today and I still haven't tried it with my phone, but I will soon! fingers crossed hopefully it goes well.

I have the Galaxy S7 (non-Edge) that I have used on and off since I got my Mavic 6 months ago. The DJI GO 4 app crashes on it almost every single flight, sometimes twice. The screen just goes black and then it dumps me back to the main phone menu. This doesn't affect the flight, it just scares you if you're not expecting it. You just need to restart the app, which just takes a second, and then it will continue to work fine, until the next time it crashes.
Needless to say this is a royal pain in the @ss so I switched to the IPAD Mini 4 four months ago - which NEVER crashes / NO issues. I only use the Samsung if I don't happen to have the iPad with me, and it still crashes when I do. I'm using the latest android software, the latest DJI GO 4 version, and always use the latest mavic firmware.

Once you've used a larger screen, like the iPad, flying with a phone screen is a miserable experience. I highly recommend replacing your galaxy phone with the iPad Mini or iPad.

I should add that Sprint is my carrier and I always put the phone into Airplane Mode before flying.

Yeah i've got an iPad 2 mini, but (wi-fi only) so I won't be able to use functions as RTH if i moved or follow me.

Another quick question does the controller and mavic still work even if the app crashes on you're phone?

Are you using android version 7.0 on you're s7? and is it with the dji go app 4? I received my mavic today and I still haven't tried it with my phone, but I will soon! fingers crossed hopefully it goes well.

Yes to both, just close all recent apps and get rid of garbage

Yeah i've got an iPad 2 mini, but (wi-fi only) so I won't be able to use functions as RTH if i moved or follow me.

Another quick question does the controller and mavic still work even if the app crashes on you're phone?

Yes, they still work. You only need the phone/tablet screen to view video and change settings

I thought RTH if moved and follow me have nothing to do with LTE but only with GPS which is built into the remote. So they should work no probs with any WiFi only device.

I thought RTH if moved and follow me have nothing to do with LTE but only with GPS which is built into the remote.

GPS is not built into the remote. It is built into the mavic itself, and will use the GPS in your phone or tablet (if your phone or tablet have GPS - i.e. NOT WIFI only.

Follow Me will not work if you are using a device without GPS. Active Track DOES work, but it is not as precise as Follow Me since it is using visual recognition of a moving object or person, and can easily lose track of what it's assigned to, whereas Follow Me is following your device precisely based upon it's GPS location.

RTH will return to the Home Point that's set internally in the mavic using GPS when it first takes off.

You can reset the RTH point during flight to the current location of your device IF the device has GPS.
I believe you can also reset the RTH point to the current location of the mavic at any time during flight. (can't remember off hand)

The mavic RC unit has no GPS in it.

Yes, the mavic still flies / hovers just fine when the GO app crashes. It has no way of even knowing the APP crashed and doesn't care. The RC still controls the mavic just fine. I just let go of the sticks for a moment while I restart the GO app and the mavic stays/hovers in place.

I was also careful to keep my S7 clean (memory and storage and app-wise), and had very few apps installed. I always started with a clean boot and had NO other apps running during flight. I'm fairly Android-savvy and I'll be d*mned if I couldn't ever figure out how to keep the GO app from crashing with the S7. I even wiped the phone completely once and it didn't help anything. But I know there are those who have S7's who have never had a problem with GO, so it's a mystery to me.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I am thinking about buying the Mavic Pro, my current phone is Samsung S7, I still have my old Samsung S4 that I could dedicate it for Drone use (if it works). After reading several forums, it seems some people had some issues using their Samsung S7, it is now almost September 2017, my question is.....has DJI fixed the compatibility issues using Samsung S7 ? I need to know this before I commit myself to buying the Mavic Pro.

Don't hold your breath as you will probabky never know for sure. Buy the mp... Try your s7 if you have issues try the dozen or so tips from this forum and if none work pick up anothet tablet that all agree works the best Or you could wait to buy until the software is 100 percent and save yourself a grand plus.

Don't hold your breath as you will probably never know for sure. Buy the mp... Try your s7 if you have issues try the dozen or so tips from this forum and if none work pick up another tablet that all agree works the best Or you could wait to buy until the software is 100 percent and save yourself a grand plus.

Ok, I am thinking about buying the Mavic Pro, my current phone is Samsung S7, I still have my old Samsung S4 that I could dedicate it for Drone use (if it works). After reading several forums, it seems some people had some issues using their Samsung S7, it is now almost September 2017, my question is.....has DJI fixed the compatibility issues using Samsung S7 ? I need to know this before I commit myself to buying the Mavic Pro.

This issues includes message "compass error. Move aircraft or calibrate compass" during the flight, pairing in the air without metalic structures around? Have you see something like this? This message is boring me and I have a S7 edge. Mavic firmware .1000.

I have the S7 and have had NO problems with it . It has been a awesome phone for flying my MPorg_39b69389ab630c10_1504033289000.jpg

Will the galaxy s4 work with litchi if I factory reset and delete all the unnecessary crap off it. Don't want to use my s7 b/c I would have to remove from otter box everytime. Was thinking about downloading litchi for thw way point features. I like how you can plan without having to burn the batteries in mavic and controller

Reactions: Dragonfly
We have an S6 Edge sitting in a drawer that is not being used for anything and would have been a good idea in theory but I would absolutely not trust it with flying the Mavic. It is laggy and apps crash often. Some might have different experiences but it is one of the worst Android phones we've had.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929