DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will Radar Affect A Mavic?

S0ARING

Reactions
On my way to San Francisco, I plan on stopping by Yuba City to catch up with relatives and spend the night. I was thinking of flying my drone around the area by my family but their is an air force base in the area.

While my relatives house is outside of the 5 mile restriction zone I am concerned about possible radar interference for a rather large radar facility in the area. Any info on interference in the area? I want to show my nephew the drone but do not want it to crash.

Some info:
"PAVE PAWS is an Air Force Space Command radar system operated by 21st Space Wing squadrons for missile warning and space surveillance. A Request for Proposal was submitted to industry 13 June 1975 for PAVE PAWS, a long-range, phased-array radar system. Designed to detect and characterize a sea-launched ballistic missile attack against the United States, Air Force Rome Air Development Center [RADC] was responsible for the design, fabrication installation, integration test, and evaluation of the system."

Link:
AN/FPS-115 PAVE PAWS Radar

pave-paws-dfst9805006.jpg

Hmm interesting one!! I dunno if I would wanna fly infront of it!!!
But that being said, your drone and controller operate pretty much like a glorified wifi router/extender... So if people can operate their home wifi networks, I would imagine that the Mavic will be ok too??

I would not want to get in front of it, at any distance. It's a phased array radar which has a very narrow steerable beam, so as long as you didn't get hit by the beam there would be no problem, but as the beam is steerable about 45 degrees in any direction, I would not take the chance. Also you'd probably trigger some sort of intercontinental ballistic missile warning...

We have a radar like that near here in the UK (Fylingdales) and I once went for an engineering tour round it. It's situated on a moorland with lots of sheep around, they said the beam would kill the sheep if it hit them. I am not entirely sure if they were joking or not, but they were certainly careful that the beam only went up into the sky.

Reactions: Irish-apple
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000