DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the Mavic Air 2 lose lots of value?

4 years $77, i’m probably not going with it, going to check out this other mini drone this other guy just suggested or wait for refurb stock to replenish, just hope that doesn’t mean waiting for air2S if the air 2s isn’t here until end of spring.

i dont see why private sellers are listing their drones for anything more than a refurbished unit, see a lot of listings that have been up for weeks and weeks, maybe people don’t actually want to sell them
That link took me to a base MA2 package and is that is the base retail price for that package anywhere..

the added coverage is from Allstate insurance, the link for more details does not really show you what would happen if you seriously crashed it, or dropped your MA2 into a body of water never to be seen again.. maybe its replacement, maybe not, you would have to check, if you really went this route...

If your still looking to actually save some $$ on a purchase, the refurb deals are probably the best way to go.. Extra Batteries alone are over $100.. so unless you want to fly for 20-25 minutes and then wait 90 for a recharge before flying again, you want more than one.. Which is why the Fly More combo's are worth the extra $$ for those alone..

Reactions: andrew reeves
hey now, im amazed how helpful this forum is, i’ve posted on like 4 forums in my life and the other three times i’ve either gotten no responses or not helped, going to look into this Xiaomi mini, would have never heard this otherwise thank you
You are so correct about the helpfulness. It is like family with out discussion of religion and THANKFULLY NO POLITICS!! Seriously members truly wish to be helpful. I lurked for a long while and learned and still do learn.

To be honest, I think you need to ask yourself whether you want to get into drone flying at all if depreciation is a concern...

This is a hobby that you can drop A LOT of money in, and since it is technologically in an advancing field, the next best thing is always just around the corner. And once that hits the market, your drone might suddenly be halved in retail price almost overnight. One big difference is the accessories; I find that when I try to sell my drones, there are always hundreds of them at almost the same price point, and you are not going to sell it for much more. Only when you have the original boxes, receipts, the fly more combo and maybe some other accessories, that is what sells your drone in that case. (Not in price point, but in how easy you can sell it)

So, in either case (Mini 2 or Air 2), make sure you buy what you enjoy flying, and what you can afford. If you can not afford to loose $400-$600 in 1 or 2 years time, then it might be best to not buy a drone at all...
I agree but more so. A drone is not an investment, it is an expense.

We're coming out of COVID and every outdoor hobby was in high demand. DJI had strange internal supply issues limiting manufacturing. Drone prices were artificially high.

LiFePo4 batteries have had large cost reductions. The FAA is forcing strange rules that will drive people away from the hobby, sometimes for what they only imagine the rules are. Some excess 2020 COVID drones will be sold as used. Expect DJI to go back to the model of improving the new models so much that most people want a serious discount on the old models (Mini 1 fly more was $499 6 months ago; you can find it on sale new for $319 right now and they aren't selling; what will a one year old used mini 1 be worth exactly?)

I would expect next year to be closer to pre-2020: drones were 1/2 what you paid for them after a year. If you crash it, maybe a lot less than 1/2. If you're learning, buy a used Mini 1 and sell *that* after a year. It has already depreciated.

Last edited:
Yep! This is why most of my drone videos for Youtube are 60 seconds or less!
You both make a very valid point. Even with music, drone video is so easy to create now, that it really has to be something unique to keep one interested. Remember what it was like when your neighbor asked you to watch their home movies? I'm not a commercial pilot so I've sold my older bigger drones. I find the Mini 2 just amazing, so strong for its size. It works very well in a rural ag setting. It can handle any mission just like its bigger "siblings."

I bought my first MA2 in Jan, 2nd in Feb, and just received my 3rd yesterday. You see, I live on the coast and most of my flights are over water. So what have I learned? (a) no reason to worry about my MA2 losing value in a year, and (b) drones don't float.

Reactions: halifax
Im looking to buy my first drone, mostly looking to make videos, i’m between the mavic air 2 (for active track and a few other reasons) and the mini 2. the Mini 2 is $450 new and air 2 is $800. My hopes are that I use one for a year, take great care of it, then sell it for $150-200 less, thus making it not too big of a deal if i buy the $800 mavic air 2 now. My concerns, and hopefully someone can educate me, are that in one year the air 2 will be 2 years old and there will have been a better version of itself out there for however many months in the Air 2S and who knows what else going on in the drone world. Is it accurate to draw a comparison to the current used market of the Mavic air 1 now, which is a few years old and a successor (Air 2) out for a year? If so, from the videos and reviews and all that ive read and listings ive seen, buying a used mavic air 1 for $600 would not be a savvy move. In other words, maybe it would be hard to sell a Mavic air 2 for $600 next spring?

Am i better off going with the Mini 2 which is 6 months newer than the Air 2, much cheaper upfront, and more likely to sell for $300 next spring?
I just bought a mini 2, I looked at the mavic Pro 2, but I really don’t want the extra headache of dealing with the 265 codec. Big deal breaker for me.

I just bought a mini 2, I looked at the mavic Pro 2, but I really don’t want the extra headache of dealing with the 265 codec. Big deal breaker for me.
H.265 is usually an option that you can chose in settings... its not a mandatory codec as far as I am aware.

H.265 is usually an option that you can chose in settings... its not a mandatory codec as far as I am aware.
From what I understand, if you shoot in 4K it is the 265 codec. If it isn’t, then that opens up a whole new universe for me.

You are welcome. I just trying to repay all the great information that I have gained on this forum. My comments were not based on years of drone knowledge but instead my outlook and flying background. It is funny what words people identify with. Sorry if I cost you additional money!! Since I am new and fresh off an MA2 purchase I have a suggestion for a FREE yet Professional course given by Pilot Institute. It is the Mavic Air 2 Deep Dive free course They also have a Mini 2 Deep Dive. Others can suggest other quality YouTube videos I am sure. The intense course I linked is put on by a professional certificated flight instructor and he has a comprehensive 3 hour organized course. I have no financial interest in the company but am much more comfortable with my MA2 because of it. Wow, off topic but appropriate to whichever drone you choose.
i want to thank this member for the url of the course that I signed up for and being to busy to complete, causes me to reengage.

You are welcome. I just trying to repay all the great information that I have gained on this forum. My comments were not based on years of drone knowledge but instead my outlook and flying background. It is funny what words people identify with. Sorry if I cost you additional money!! Since I am new and fresh off an MA2 purchase I have a suggestion for a FREE yet Professional course given by Pilot Institute. It is the Mavic Air 2 Deep Dive free course They also have a Mini 2 Deep Dive. Others can suggest other quality YouTube videos I am sure. The intense course I linked is put on by a professional certificated flight instructor and he has a comprehensive 3 hour organized course. I have no financial interest in the company but am much more comfortable with my MA2 because of it. Wow, off topic but appropriate to whichever drone you choose.
thanks for the reminder to finish my ma2 course.

The need for the latest and greatest is greatly overemphasized. I fly a P3 4K, an MA1, and a P4 adv. The P3 is still a great bird, and the videos are still very good.

A far bigger problem for aspiring drone videographers is figuring out how to shoot and use the footage to make a film that others want to watch. The vast majority of films are quite boring after the first minute of very long shots over interesting countrysides.
After seeing this video my mind is changing the whole idea of why I bought my first MP. Obvisouly, its Not mine. Just sharing a great vid.

I agree but more so. A drone is not an investment, it is an expense.

We're coming out of COVID and every outdoor hobby was in high demand. DJI had strange internal supply issues limiting manufacturing. Drone prices were artificially high.

LiFePo4 batteries have had large cost reductions. The FAA is forcing strange rules that will drive people away from the hobby, sometimes for what they only imagine the rules are. Some excess 2020 COVID drones will be sold as used. Expect DJI to go back to the model of improving the new models so much that most people want a serious discount on the old models (Mini 1 fly more was $499 6 months ago; you can find it on sale now for $319 right now and they aren't selling; what will a one-year-old used mini 1 be worth exactly?)

I would expect next year to be closer to pre-2020: drones were 1/2 what you paid for them after a year. If you crash it, maybe a lot less than 1/2. If you're learning, buy a used Mini 1 and sell *that* after a year. It has already depreciated.
FYI, sold my MP combo 2 batteries, 750 on "Offerup". 3/15/21. cost 2019 refurbished around 900 including a couple of nonexpensive additional accessories.

I purchased a new MA2 in December 2020 for 1498AUD --- I also purchased Care Refresh and a lot of Accessories - spare battery , car charger , multi battery charger , spare set of DJI props , 2 sets of MAS props ( the good ones) , bought a top quality skin , landing gear extensions , strobe lights , Lifthor Tablet Holder. Due to a change in my health circumstances and this resulting in not being able to drive I decided to sell a few weeks ago. One of the things I discovered was that the accessories count for nothing. There was 8 months left on the Warranty and on the Care Refresh and had just a few hours flying time confined to my back garden , no crashes and in completely as new condition but the maximum price I could get for the complete package was 1215AUD. I am fully aware that I was only catering to the Australian market but my experience was that it is not an easy sell and I want to reiterate that the Accessories count for absolutely nothing.

so true. night and day difference in flight control, too.
I have both. Air 2 is stronger but for recreational use I would stick with Mini 2. The portability and the size allows me to fly a lot more than I would if I only had the Air 2. For the ones that leave in rural places or where rules are not so restricted yeah the Air 2 is a nice upgrade.

Yeah it’s really tough, i think especially for drones though, the used car market is unbelievably huge and pretty predictable, though still it’s own nightmare. I’ve seen quite a few discussions here and elsewhere asking mini 2 or air 1 for example, everyone says mini 2 for sure, with mini 2 new at $450 what price then makes an air 1 worth it? $350,$300? someone may have just bought the air 1 a few years ago for like $800 and now it’s becoming not worth the headache and insult of selling, i’m just trying to avoid that. will probably just get the mini 2
Buy anyone or then and enjoy. Why are you worried about resale value?

Im looking to buy my first drone, mostly looking to make videos, i’m between the mavic air 2 (for active track and a few other reasons) and the mini 2. the Mini 2 is $450 new and air 2 is $800. My hopes are that I use one for a year, take great care of it, then sell it for $150-200 less, thus making it not too big of a deal if i buy the $800 mavic air 2 now. My concerns, and hopefully someone can educate me, are that in one year the air 2 will be 2 years old and there will have been a better version of itself out there for however many months in the Air 2S and who knows what else going on in the drone world. Is it accurate to draw a comparison to the current used market of the Mavic air 1 now, which is a few years old and a successor (Air 2) out for a year? If so, from the videos and reviews and all that ive read and listings ive seen, buying a used mavic air 1 for $600 would not be a savvy move. In other words, maybe it would be hard to sell a Mavic air 2 for $600 next spring?

Am i better off going with the Mini 2 which is 6 months newer than the Air 2, much cheaper upfront, and more likely to sell for $300 next spring?
Hopefully, you held off on purchasing the air 2, as DJI just released the 2s, with an 1 inch sensor. I'm now debating selling my MA2, which just got swapped out by DJI thanks to a faulty GPS. In any case, just providing you with the latest update.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura