DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the mavic air turn off while on air?

punkydavid

Reactions
When turning on the motor we usually do this “putting the left stick to bottom left and the right stick to bottom right together” i am afraid if I accidentally do this while on air, the drone might crash!!! Is this true or not? I haven’t tested it yet since i will not sacrifice my drone for proving it. Have you guys tested it already? Thank you

When turning on the motor we usually do this “putting the left stick to bottom left and the right stick to bottom right together” i am afraid if I accidentally do this while on air, the drone might crash!!! Is this true or not? I haven’t tested it yet since i will not sacrifice my drone for proving it. Have you guys tested it already? Thank you
If you were designing a sophisticated drone, do you think you would make the normal method for descending switch the motors off while in the air?
Of course you wouldn't and neither would DJI's rather clever design engineers.
Left stick down will never switch off the motors unless the drone has landed.

Last edited:
If you were designing a sophisticated drone, do you think you would make the normal method for descending switch the motors off while in the air?
Of course you wouldn't and neither would DJI's rather clever design engineers.
Left stick down will never switch off the motors unless the drone has landed.

Try reading the manual occasionally before posting nonsense.
I am a bit confussed. The OP was asking if its possible to shutdown or switch off the motors whilst the AC is airbourne. I am pretty sure this is completely possible and there are a few YT videos showing this feature in action. All you do is push both control sticks down and out or down and in. (EDIT: and hold them there for a second or two)

Hope this helps answer the question (as I read it lol)

Last edited:
Try reading the manual occasionally before posting nonsense.

Rather than posting some snarky condescending comment, why dont YOU try reading the manual occasionally yourself?

Right there on page 50.

"Stopping Motors Mid-flight
Stopping motors mid-flight will cause the aircraft to crash. The motors should only be stopped mid-flight in an emergency situation such as if a collision has occurred or if the aircraft is out of control and is ascending/descending very quickly, rolling in the air, or if a motor has stalled. To stop the motors mid-
flight use the same CSC that was used to start the motors."

Yes it will, but I think you have to hold them there 3 sec.

I am a bit confussed. The OP was asking if its possible to shutdown or switch off the motors whilst the AC is airbourne. I am pretty sure this is completely possible and there are a few YT videos showing this feature in action. All you do is push both control sticks down and out or down and in.

Hope this helps answer the question (as I read it lol)
You are right, I misread the Q and thought it was the other much-asked question about left stick down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Point Zero
with respect to Meta4 i believe he misread the OPs post and got the wrong end of the stick we are all human and mistakes do happen we should keep things civil on the forum

i am afraid if I accidentally do this while on air, the drone might crash!!! Is this true or not? I haven’t tested it yet since i will not sacrifice my drone for proving it. Have you guys tested it already? Thank you
You won't accidentally do that in normal flying.
You would have to be working the joysticks like a monkey on meth to accidentally CSC in flight, in which case you would probably crash anyway.

To accidentally CSC, you would be flying backwards-sideways at full speed, while also descending and corkscrewing at full speed.
It's just not going to happen.

the idea of using two sticks is exactly as Meta4 said unless you did it deliberately, and you wanted to crash your drone ,it aint going to happen

To accidentally CSC, you would be flying backwards-sideways at full speed, while also descending and corkscrewing at full speed.
It's just not going to happen.

Well you say that but I have seen at least one crash analysis on here where people have managed to do it, apparently without intending to.
So probably best to be aware that it is possible.

Reactions: Mike Shock
You are right, I misread the Q and thought it was the other much-asked question about left stick down.
Yeah I thought you might have as you clearly mention left stick down. A very easy thing to miss lol. Lets hope none of us ever have to use this feature!

i do not have a mavic air but would i be correct in thinking that the controller has the red stop button like the mav pro does. surely in an emergency situation this should be your first point of call to stop the thing

Yes, but that does not stop the props.
Sometimes you just need to stop the props, like if you have just accidentally flown into a tree and the mavic is trying to saw its way through the branches. Don't ask me how I know this.
i agree but that is a specific scenario not just stopping them in flight and was probably why DJI made it that way it was not actually flying after it hit the tree

Reactions: gwbullis
i guess its all in the words emergency shutdown nuff said

it was not actually flying after it hit the tree
It most certainly wasn't, it was doing a good impression of a hedge trimmer though. Did the CSC, it fell out of the tree, missed my waiting hands and landed on its back on some soft grass. 1 set of new props and it was off again. So there is some value in having the emergency stop facility fairly easy to get at.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60