DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the mavic air turn off while on air?

Pretty Funny! Such a Simple Question raised so much Attention!
i guess it goes to show how passionate people on this forum are about their interest in UAV flying and trying to help others

Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
I am a bit confussed. The OP was asking if its possible to shutdown or switch off the motors whilst the AC is airbourne. I am pretty sure this is completely possible and there are a few YT videos showing this feature in action. All you do is push both control sticks down and out or down and in. (EDIT: and hold them there for a second or two)

Hope this helps answer the question (as I read it lol)
If it inverts I don't think it will turn back on. If holding it in your hand an rolling it on its side it will shut the motors off.

I thought I had seen a video of a guy testing the CSC mid flight on a Mavic Air - but I can’t find the vid. I think this may have been it - but I see it’s for a Spark.

When I looked into this previously, from what I had gathered, the Mavic Air will only allow you to do the CSC mid flight in the case of what they consider an emergency - which I think was if the quadcopter had flipped more than 90°.

For what it’s worth, I tried doing it in the simulator and it didn’t shut the motors off.

https://youtu.be/gTDiwiQ1iE8

Reactions: MeGotAir
This is the correct answer from my research as well, so no worries. The guy who said it's almost impossible to do CSC mid flight is also not correct, as that was the number one reason for falling out of the sky for Mavic's (also, not everybody flies in mode 2)

The guy who said it's almost impossible to do CSC mid flight is also not correct, as that was the number one reason for falling out of the sky for Mavic's
I still say it's almost impossible to do in normal flight.
What kind of move is going to have you flying with the sticks close to that position?
As for it being the #1 cause of incidents, that's simply not true.
Can you find any cases to back that up?

That position of the sticks will have a fast controlled tight spiral descent, but the operator should be well aware of this if it's for more then 3 seconds.

If you were designing a sophisticated drone, do you think you would make the normal method for descending switch the motors off while in the air?
Of course you wouldn't and neither would DJI's rather clever design engineers.
Left stick down will never switch off the motors unless the drone has landed.

I haven't tried my Mavic Air, but I've had Phantom 3 Pro shut off and it hadn't landed yet. It apparently THOUGHT it had landed since there was no change in elevation due to my pulling a string and weight up into a tree and having the line snag on a branch. I wasn't aware I was snagged and continued the "down" command until the motors all of a sudden stopped and it dropped like a rock. Could this be the same cause of a similar response by the Air?

Mavic Pro has the option in at least some
Versions of go4 to allow csc to stop motors anytime vs only when the aircraft sensed an emergency.

Mavic Pro has the option in at least some
Versions of go4 to allow csc to stop motors anytime vs only when the aircraft sensed an emergency.
How can the aircraft "sense an emergency" ??

Last edited:
This method should only be used for example if you "accidentally" "land" on a tree to prevent motor failure or further damage on our birdie.

Once mine hit some bushes and stopping the motors through inner downward thrust was done almost instinctively

Last edited:
Reactions: MeGotAir
Here’s the particular scenario that I’m always concerned about with CSC. Granted, I’m new to the Mavic Air - but have flown a Phantom v1.1 for years.

I film from a boat. Say I’m filming a wakeboarder cutting out to the sides. I have the quadcopter flying backwards parallel with the boat to film the rider (right stick down - maybe not all the way - depending on the speed of the boat). I might move the right stick left or right to adjust the position of the quadcopter as the rider cuts out to the side.

What if I wanted to lower the quadcopter and adjusted the yaw at the same time (again - to keep the rider in frame). This could potentially put both sticks in CSC position.

I know that usually you have to also hold CSC for 3 seconds, but on a test with my Phantom, I turfed the quad while testing this - and I had only hit the CSC position - I definitely didn’t have it held for 3 seconds.

Maybe I’m crazy, but I can picture this particular scenario. Maybe most people don’t fly the quad backwards?

I film from a boat. Say I’m filming a wakeboarder cutting out to the sides. I have the quadcopter flying backwards parallel with the boat to film the rider (right stick down - maybe not all the way - depending on the speed of the boat). I might move the right stick left or right to adjust the position of the quadcopter as the rider cuts out to the side.
Maybe I’m crazy, but I can picture this particular scenario. Maybe most people don’t fly the quad backwards?
Despite the fear, forums aren't full of reports of people killing their drones in flight.
To accidentally CSC, you have to have the sticks at the extremes of their movement in all four axes and you just never do that in normal flight.
Flying backwards in front of a fast boat?
I've done that a lot and never come anywhere close to CSC with the joysticks.
If the boat is fast enough (or the headwind strong enough) you might have the right stick full back ... but you aren't going to have it also pulled in to the extreme and have the left stick full back and full in as well.
If you did, you aren't following the boat at all.
DJI_0785aa-XL.jpg

Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
Despite the fear, forums aren't full of reports of people killing their drones in flight.
To accidentally CSC, you have to have the sticks at the extremes of their movement in all four axes and you just never do that in normal flight.
Flying backwards in front of a fast boat?
I've done that a lot and never come anywhere close to CSC with the joysticks.
If the boat is fast enough (or the headwind strong enough) you might have the right stick full back ... but you aren't going to have it also pulled in to the extreme and have the left stick full back and full in as well.
If you did, you aren't following the boat at all.
DJI_0785aa-XL.jpg

Off to the side of the boat - but yes, I agree - it would probably be unlikely to have the sticks in all four extremes.

Also, not filming the boat - which drives in a straight line, but filming the rider that moves left/right as well. Definitely more stick movement involved in keeping the rider in frame.

Last edited:
I still say it's almost impossible to do in normal flight.
What kind of move is going to have you flying with the sticks close to that position?
As for it being the #1 cause of incidents, that's simply not true.
Can you find any cases to back that up?
Here's a 15 page thread about it over at DJI's forum. Some people argue it was number one cause and some don't think it was, but the fact they removed it from Air proves it didn't happen as rarely as some may think.

Within my 100+ flights with Air I came to that position around 5 times during the flight.

I fly "mode 4" and my sensitivity settings are dumbed down for smoother movement so it's not very extreme move at all.

Edit: a word

That position of the sticks will have a fast controlled tight spiral descent, but the operator should be well aware of this if it's for more then 3 seconds.
No, from what I gather you can hold it for 10 minutes (on Air) if you like and it will not turn off the motors unless it "detects" an emergency. And that's ok - I don't really see a scenario where SCS could save you mid air - by the time you activate it you could manuver out of the situation.

Here's a 15 page thread about it over at DJI's forum. Some people argue it was number one cause and some don't think it was, but the fact they removed it from Air proves it didn't happen as rarely as some may think.
There are plenty of members on that forum that you wouldn't trust to tie their shoelaces.
That thread and DJI stupid Top 10 causes video don't prove a thing.
Whoever made that video knows nothing about flying - the moderators there don't fly themselves.
I've been on the Phantom forum for 5 years now, reading most of the threads there and the number of reports of drones accidentally CSC'd in flight could just about be counted on the thumbs of both hands.
It really isn't happening.
It wouldn't even make the bottom of the top 25 causes of lost drones.

There are plenty of members on that forum that you wouldn't trust to tie their shoelaces.
That thread and DJI stupid Top 10 causes video don't prove a thing.
Whoever made that video knows nothing about flying - the moderators there don't fly themselves.
I've been on the Phantom forum for 5 years now, reading most of the threads there and the number of reports of drones accidentally CSC'd in flight could just about be counted on the thumbs of both hands.
It really isn't happening.
It wouldn't even make the bottom of the top 25 causes of lost drones.
So why do you think they removed it from Mavic Air and in what situation do you think CSC could actually be of use vs. just manoeuvering out the dangers way?

Seeing as this has been such a hot topic over the years, wouldn’t it be nice to have a definite answer from DJI? I’ve searched everywhere and have found conflicting things. I went through this with my Phantom - and now with the Mavic Air.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu