DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the Mavic Mini get follow me ?

Rene Artois

Reactions
I know the Mavic Mini does not have crash avoidance sensors but the lack of a follow me option is for me a real downside to the Mini.
Is there any likelihood the that this could be included in a future update by DJI ?

I know the Mavic Mini does not have crash avoidance sensors but the lack of a follow me option is for me a real downside to the Mini.
Is there any likelihood the that this could be included in a future update by DJI ?

As it doesnt need sensors, it just uses a captured image on the camera then I suppose its a possibility.
They could also use follow the phone option although this isnt as reliable

Do you guys think they would ever upgrade the camera to a 4k with a higher bit rate? Or would there ever be a hack to do that?

As it doesnt need sensors, it just uses a captured image on the camera then I suppose its a possibility.

My thinking was that maybe and I had read from another source that DJI were worried that without the crash avoidance sensors that there was a fair chance of Mini users trashing their drones by hitting obstacles as 9 time out of 10 they were not concentrating on the drones position while trying to make a cool bit of video.

There is at least a rumor that DJI will add SDK support for the Mini, which would allow third-party apps like Litchi to do a lot of nice stuff including Follow Me -- and waypoint missions, which I consider an even more serious missing feature for a camera drone. (BTW, I was just looking at the Litchi users guide and I see that Follow Me is only supported on Android.)

Do you guys think they would ever upgrade the camera to a 4k with a higher bit rate? Or would there ever be a hack to do that?
I read somewhere that the camera hardware itself is capable of 4K, so there was speculation some release might enable it, but that's only possible if they engineered the Mini to have the necessary processing power for a 4K stream and I don't think anyone knows yet.

My thinking was that maybe and I had read from another source that DJI were worried that without the crash avoidance sensors that there was a fair chance of Mini users trashing their drones by hitting obstacles as 9 time out of 10 they were not concentrating on the drones position while trying to make a cool bit of video.
I wonder if that's true, as the Pro for instance doesn't have rear sensors, but there are a few scenarios where it flies backwards in the Active Track modes. Mine hit a tree in following me when I did a U-turn and it reversed into it.

I read somewhere that the camera hardware itself is capable of 4K, so there was speculation some release might enable it, but that's only possible if they engineered the Mini to have the necessary processing power for a 4K stream and I don't think anyone knows yet.
From what I've read it should be capable but it can't get rid of the heat generated.

I use the profile mode of active track. There is no protection for the drone in that mode most of the time. Kinda off the subject, but how many users are filming in 4K. I would rather take the loss and edit in 1080.

One guy in a YT video got his to track a four-wheeler that started to move while he was in “spiral-out” mode... seems to indicate that it is potentially doable.

Reactions: SirrRoyston
One guy in a YT video got his to track a four-wheeler that started to move while he was in “spiral-out” mode... seems to indicate that it is potentially doable.
Actually no, in the same video he cannot made it to follow. It just does go in circles keeping the subject in the center.

The Mini has the Ambarella chip capable of 4k. Camera sensor is capable too, if it's disable due to excessive heat or market share protection, we can only speculate. I'd love to see a free upgrade to 4k. Follow me is a nice have, but not for me as it will likely crash without colission sensors.

Actually no, in the same video he cannot made it to follow. It just does go in circles keeping the subject in the center.

The Mini has the Ambarella chip capable of 4k. Camera sensor is capable too, if it's disable due to excessive heat or market share protection, we can only speculate. I'd love to see a free upgrade to 4k. Follow me is a nice have, but not for me as it will likely crash without colission sensors.
Do things like rooting/jailbreaking happen on drones? It's it possible that someone would come out with a custom firmware that enables 4k?

Sorry, that's a NO! No one did that before. What is possible is done via 3rd party Apps like Litchy that have additional functions custom built by their devs. For the Mini this is yet not possible as no SDK has been made public. You need to pay for this additional software by buying it from Google play store or Apple App store.

Can follow me/active track be implemented using the SDK? Feels like that sort of functionality would be baked into the drone firmware.

Sorry, that's a NO! No one did that before. What is possible is done via 3rd party Apps like Litchy that have additional functions custom built by their devs. For the Mini this is yet not possible as no SDK has been made public. You need to pay for this additional software by buying it from Google play store or Apple App store.
Yes, thanks for the info. I too am waiting for the SDK to come out so way points become an option. Haven't done em, just seen videos.
Though it's pretty clear, a 4k upgrade can't be done via litchi api integration. I'm wondering why noones built a custom firmware for this yet, and it can't be just warranty
compromises.

The Great ANAFI has both Way Point and Follow Me, without sensors. I don’t see anyone complaining...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PolKrestof