DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the Mini 3 Home Point W/DJI RC set with GPS only, No Wifi?

crash3x

Reactions
Question, Mini 3 Pro using DJI RC with GPS only, No Wifi. Will it set a home point, return to home point or do you need Wifi to set an accurate home point, return to home point?

Not talking about maps, just being able to set an accurate home point In case of connection issues, low battery etc. Thanks!

Reactions: Torque
Question, Mini 3 Pro using DJI RC with GPS only, No Wifi. Will it set a home point, return to home point or do you need Wifi to set an accurate home point, return to home point?

Not talking about maps, just being able to set an accurate home point In case of connection issues, low battery etc. Thanks!
GPS is located using satellites not WiFi. What you refer to is irrelevant.

Once the satt's are locked the Home Point is updated regardless if you have WiFi or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard R

Once the satt's are locked the Home Point is updated regardless if you have WiFi or not.
its not irrelevant. The OP was unsure and asked for clarification. The WIFI issue is relevant to him as he thought this may play a part.

But for the OP, yes, you only need to ensure you have GPS lock, as this is the system your drone and controller use for positioning. You only need to worry about wifi if you want the actual maps to be downloaded/visible on your device

No dumb questions.

Yes a home point will be set if only GPS is available, in fact the drone uses only GPS to determine its position on a 'map' and ONLY GPS to set the home point.
This is why you need to be wary if you take off with insufficient GPS to establish home point at the take off point. If the drone gets sufficient GPS during the flight it will set the home point to the location where sufficient GPS was first obtained. Additionally you could, by then, have flown into a restriction zone etc. and that could cause a forced landing.

Wifi may help the controller but does nothing for the drone.

A slight aside, when the lighting is good enough, the reflecting surface is appropriate and the ground etc. is within range, the VPS system offers better position holding than GPS but VPS plays no part in the drone knowing its position on a map which includes setting the homepoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque and crash3x
its not irrelevant. The OP was unsure and asked for clarification. The WIFI issue is relevant to him as he thought this may play a part.
I didn't come here to argue I just gave the facts. Nothing personal was intended...I knew exactly what was being put forward and answered in the least complicated way without getting emotionally attached to an online member in a forum.
sheeeesh!

You sound emotional now
I see this as a community that we are all part of, and sometimes having a bit of empathy isnt a bad thing.
You are obviously concerned about my post as you feel the need to defend your post, and that, IS irrelevant to this thread.
But thanks for your input.

Reactions: Torque and SpinItUp
@anzacjack ,@SpinItUp ,its very easy to sometimes in the act of writing these posts ,to put down words that can be misinterpreted by others,that one little sentence(What you refer to is irrelevant),changed the whole dynamic of the post

@anzacjack ,@SpinItUp ,its very easy to sometimes in the act of writing these posts ,to put down words that can be misinterpreted by others,that one little sentence(What you refer to is irrelevant),changed the whole dynamic of the post
especially with this being an international forum with two languages predominantly used, British English vs American English.
🤣

Once the satt's are locked the Home Point is updated regardless if you have WiFi or no

You’re irrelevant lol, I’m not stupid, I know the difference between the two, and as ppl mentioned that’s not what I asked so next time clearly read the post before you hastily shoot off a dumb response. Have a great day 😁

But for the OP, yes, you only need to ensure you have GPS lock, as this is the system your drone and controller use for positioning. You only need to worry about wifi if you want the actual maps to be downloaded/visible on your device

No dumb questions.
Exactly, was just looking for clarification. Thank you for the info, all is clear now.

Guess I’m not the only one who had a similar thought.

Maybe he put it into words better than I did?

My questions have been answered. Thanks to all who helped out!

Attachments

• 0FF275C6-EE5B-49C1-82A1-950579F2BEDA.jpeg
    0FF275C6-EE5B-49C1-82A1-950579F2BEDA.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 20
I had one of the early Garmin portable GPS receivers that I used for hiking. It had no maps. After getting a lock on the satellites, it would trace your route by leaving "breadcrumbs" on the screen. When you wanted to return to your starting point, you'd just follow the breadcrumbs. You were able to store waypoints for those coordinates that you found important so you could navigate to them at any time. Hansel and Gretel could have used one of those Garmin receivers.

Reactions: crash3x
I never cease to be amazed at some judging other people on online forums by their OWN misinterpretation of probably a well intentioned reply. In my view it was an incomplete sentence that was misinterpreted, but I knew what the poster was attempting to say. It might have sounded different if it had been "What you refer to is irrelevant to the function of the home point position.)" Whatever, it was a misinterpretation in intent and no real harm done.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1