DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

will this work.new tablet

IPAD 7th gen 128 gb......MW772/A....WIFI
It's should load and connect with the remote but there will be a black boarder around the edge creating a screen where some of it is unseeable and you won't be able to X out of some of the settings screens.
If you find this to be incorrect please let me know

i have heardthis befor, i havent open the box yet, i can return it, what is better? or will work

An Ipad 7th gen will work, I find the form factor a bit large for the small remote controller

An Ipad Mini 5 will work and it will fit in the jaws of remote controller like a phone does, so this is what I use as a dedicated drone flying tablet.

If you need the Ipad for other things then I'd stick with the larger screen

Last edited:
I'm finding my very old [2nd gen??] iPad Mini to be near perfect sizewise.
Bet you can grab one really cheap on eBay

if i use the min 5 will i still only have the problem with the boarder around the screen where you cant X out

I'm finding my very old [2nd gen??] iPad Mini to be near perfect sizewise.
Bet you can grab one really cheap on eBay

my concern is the battery life on these old devices. checking reviews on amazon, that seems to be the major complaint with older devices in general. I don't really need more than a couple of hours but I want to make sure that it has enough of a charge to support going out for the day with 3 or 4 MM batteries.

I also notice that the refurbished mini 3 isn't really that much less expensive than the refurbished mini 4. For the trouble of having to return it (maybe more than once), I'm thinking I may just breakdown and get a mini 5 and not have to worry about it. At some point when will the dji fly app get updated to the point where it will require an ios version that isn't compatible with the older ipad mini's. Just thinking out loud. YMMV

my concern is the battery life on these old devices. checking reviews on amazon, that seems to be the major complaint with older devices in general. I don't really need more than a couple of hours but I want to make sure that it has enough of a charge to support going out for the day with 3 or 4 MM batteries.

I also notice that the refurbished mini 3 isn't really that much less expensive than the refurbished mini 4. For the trouble of having to return it (maybe more than once), I'm thinking I may just breakdown and get a mini 5 and not have to worry about it. At some point when will the dji fly app get updated to the point where it will require an ios version that isn't compatible with the older ipad mini's. Just thinking out loud. YMMV

Definitely the Ipad Mini 5 will be a better choice from an obsolescence perspective.

With my Mini 4 and DJI Fly , I get a "mobile device CPU fully loaded/ Related Performance will be affected" warning when I first start up the app, but then it doesn't seem to affect it's performance when flying.

So a Mini 5 with a better CPU is probably the way to go

Last edited:
Definitely the Ipad Mini 5 will be a better choice from an obsolescence perspective.

With my Mini 4 and DJI Fly , I get a "mobile device CPU fully loaded/ Related Performance will be affected" warning when I first start up the app, but then it doesn't seem to affect it's performance when flying.

So a Mini 5 with a better CPU is probably the way to go

That's very helpful information.

Thank you.

at the rc field i fly at we have a solar charging station, we can charge any thing from lipos to phones, and still make a pot of coffee....i think the more we look into this the better off we are, really dont need that 1000.00 iphone and i ma sure DJI has been getting a lot of bad press to clean up there act

I currently use an IPhone 8+. But my old eyes would like something larger, such as a tablet. My question is, what does the drone app require? Can I get away with WiFi only? Or do I need to buy one with a data plan? What about GPS?
I’m new to this, only flew the mini yesterday for the first time, but I am impressed!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov