DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will you buy a Mini? What will you use it for?

Does the 249 grams mean that we don't have to register it?
Depends what country you’re in. This is an international forum.

Just wanted to add, though I think the Mavic Mini is awesome, the only drone to knock my sock off recently is the Skydio 2, that will be my next drone. There are a bunch of videos of the Skydio 2 out in the wild, and the obstacle avoidance on that thing are truly next level. It's just amazing.

If I had unlimited funds, I would definitely buy the Mavic Mini also, but I'm gonna have to pass this one up since I have the Mavic Air.
My wife would kill me( just kidding) but that skydio2 would could definitely be my next drone.

I ordered the fly more. Will be handy for real estate shots or if something interesting pops up. Will always be in the truck. No one needs 4k for real estate. Most people look at it on their phones. Imo. Just nervous about how it will handle a breeze. I'll have my m2p as a backup tho..

I just purchased it with the fly more combo. Great addition to my MPP, MA, Spark and my Yellow Tellow! Not to mention my Osmo Mobile 2 and my Osmo Action.

With the 250g rule, can the FAA change the rules again to say it must now be 200g? IF that happens, then what?

The biggest surprises in the Mavic Mini announcement are in the things they left out.
No Occusync
No 4K
No tracking
No waypoints
No gesture control
No raw photos
No photo controls
No video styles
No obstacle avoidance
No quick release props
Oh, and it will not work with the Smart controller

And the one thing they left in is the draconian DJI Geo fencing.
What's the point of the 249 gram weight? For hobbiests, the pilot is registered with the FAA, not the drone. If this is the only drone you ever owned, you would not have to register. Most of us who have been flying drones for a while are already registered, so this doesn't change anything. You still have to fly within the same guidelines.

Last edited:
I went for it. $579.16 Fly more, and 2 yr. refresh. I currently fly the Mavic Pro, and I think this will be a great addition for filming outdoor party's and what not. I like the small footprint. I haven't had the sensors turned on for over a year, and hasn't been a problem, so the lack of is not a factor for me. Top speed ~30 mph should be stable in 15 mph winds. Looking forward to flying it.

What's the point of the 249 gram weight?

Makes it the ideal travel drone. More countries are introducing registration for 250g and over which is a nightmare if you want to carry it on holidays and have to register in each country you want to fly in. Plus the lower noise level makes it way less obvious.

I'll be getting one as soon as the hooha dies down and the major bugs are ironed out :)

Reactions: Hauptmann
The biggest surprises in the Mavic Mini announcement are in the things they left out.
No Occusync
No 4K
No tracking
No waypoints
No gesture control
No raw photos
No photo controls
No video styles
No obstacle avoidance
No quick release props
Oh, and it will not work with the Smart controller

And the one thing they left in is the draconian DJI Geo fencing.
What's the point of the 249 gram weight? For hobbiests, the pilot is registered with the FAA, not the drone. If this is the only drone you ever owned, you would not have to register. Most of us who have been flying drones for a while are already registered, so this doesn't change anything. You still have to fly within the same guidelines.

Its $400 and the size of your phone, but you expected all the features of the 4 times more expensive and 4 times heavier Mavic 2?

I’ll strongly consider it (depends on how much of a Christmas bonus my boss gives me) (I own the company but wife is the boss when it comes to bonuses). It’s honestly a really compelling product (at least from what has been leaked) for first-time drone buyers. I have a MA but might have gone for this instead had it been available, with the idea to move up to a M2P or its successor eventually (as was my thought when buying the Air). I’m glad I got the Air (somewhat regret not getting the M2P) but this thing looks like a nice product.

I said this in another thread but after experimenting with 2.7K/60 and 4K/30, I nearly always go with 2.7K, so that limitation doesn’t bother me (the camera on the Air isn’t really good enough for 4K to make much of a difference). I’ll be recommending this to my friends who have expressing interest in getting drones after seeing mine (except for my rich friends, whom I’ll still recommend the M2P to).
The 2.7K is at only 40 mbps, which severely limits video quality over 2.7K at 60 mbps or 100 mbps. It's dumbed down.

I’m still on the fence. I don’t think I want to be an early adaptor on this one. I’ll wait until January/February and decide.
After 4yrs experience flying 5 models of DJI craft, keeping in mind I love DJI products, I would never buy any drone from DJI until it's 4 months old and the reports from this forum are positive on the important stuff. But that's me.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Hard pass for me.

Currently have an M2P, M2Z and P4 in the fleet.

No OccuSync
2.7K camera
Won’t do well in windy conditions

It’s just a solid drone for those getting started, younger users or amateur users who just want to fly and have fun without the complexity.

Zero reason to get this if you have an M2

I have a Mavic Pro, too, as well as some other drones. The major benefit of the Mini is that you can have it always available within your pocket. And the best drone is always that one which you have available.

You must have big pockets ? haha

I have a small drawstring bag that holds a fully charge M2Z when not out and about hunting for content. Small, compact, no need for a Mini when the M2 series crush the Mini in every regard.

Zero reason to get this if you have an M2
I would buy it for travel, but it missed the mark with 40mbps write speed. I don't care much about the 250G goal, I'd rather have OcuSync2 and 100mbps weighing in at 350G for $600. That's what I would like to see in a MavicMiniPro.

Reactions: JoostGT3
I would buy it for travel, but it missed the mark with 40mbps write speed. I don't care much about the 250G goal, I'd rather have OcuSync2 and 100mbps weighing in at 350G for $600. That's what I would like to see in a MavicMiniPro.

It does make sense for a tiny travel drone, sure. But yeah, the 40Mbps video really nails the coffin. That and no OccuSync.

Oh gosh, Mavic Mini Pro haha. Fun idea.

I’d love a Mavic 3 Pro:

- OccuSync 3.0
- 4K 60
- No sub-sampling
- New sensor for better low-light performance
- 30 Mins flight time

Not sure what else, I’d say a 30MP sensor for stills but ain’t gonna happen :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM