DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind check apps

Timster1973

Reactions
Hi all

Besides a typical weather app for iPhone, are there any good apps that anyone can recommend for wind checks?

Tim

I just look at the weather channel website, never been let down. I don't bother with that stupid UAV forecast app.

Windy as forecasted

You are still better off observing local conditions, however the forecast speed at altitude is more likely to be correct as local conditions have less effect.
Close to the ground speeds fall off dramatically. Unless clouds are whizzing by you can't always be sure how much stronger it is well above trees and buildings.

I use Storm app and enable surface wind overlay, it shows wind as temperature-colored moving arrows, you can zoom in right to your location with satellite view. Very visual!

I look outside and if it is really windy I fly closer to the ground :).

I use "UAV Forecast" on the iPhone. Gives wind profiles at different altitudes and detailed forecast.

Just remember that wind profiles are rarely accurate, a ballpark at most, and I know this from experience - more than a decade of skydiving. This government-supplied data is based on weather balloons launched from big airports twice a day and then interpolated to your location, many miles away. All it is is a computer forecast based on very scarce data.

I use a free one called "WindCompass". It's nice in that it shows the wind at altitude. Just an option.....

I use a free one called "WindCompass". It's nice in that it shows the wind at altitude. Just an option.....
I just loaded it and had a look. It's a nice design; simple and clear. It seems to me that the wind at altitude is current altitude only, or am I missing an option somewhere? I'd like to know the wind at 200-300', which UAV gives me (even if less than accurate).

I just look at the weather channel website, never been let down. I don't bother with that stupid UAV forecast app.

The UAV forecast app is great, not sure why you consider it stupid ??

I just loaded it and had a look. It's a nice design; simple and clear. It seems to me that the wind at altitude is current altitude only, or am I missing an option somewhere? I'd like to know the wind at 200-300', which UAV gives me (even if less than accurate).

Sorry, I think I'm wrong. I thought that the app let you identify the altitude to use at each location. I can't find that setting, so it either disappeared or was never there. I have 2 locations; one shows -16 metres and the other shows -48 metres. They are on a lake so the elevation should be within inches.

I have the app very accurate and useful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661