DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind... How much is too much?

jaysrmc

Reactions
I was clocking average wind speeds around 12.5mph with gusts around 15.

I did get a warning when I launched after a few minutes I received a warning about wind conditions. My question is what kind of wind speed can the Mavic handle without getting a warning. Before anyone says the wind can be higher with altitude, I was only 10 ft high during the flight. I know the mavic can't truly detect wind speed but what is considered manageable with the Mavic Pro?

I did get a warning when I launched after a few minutes I received a warning about wind conditions. My question is what kind of wind speed can the Mavic handle without getting a warning. Before anyone says the wind can be higher with altitude, I was only 10 ft high during the flight. I know the mavic can't truly detect wind speed but what is considered manageable with the Mavic Pro?
The manual states 22 mph.

what is considered manageable with the Mavic Pro?
In the Mavic Pro FAQ, DJI states the following:

"The Mavic can withstand a level 5 wind, also called a fresh breeze. This is defined as wind speeds of 19–24mph (29–38kph)."

If you choose to fly in strong winds, keep in mind the Mavic will have a harder time flying back to the home point when flying into the wind. That means it'll require more battery power than usual and will possibly be pushed away from the home point if the wind is too strong.

Reactions: ICHOTT
In the Mavic Pro FAQ, DJI states the following:

"The Mavic can withstand a level 5 wind, also called a fresh breeze. This is defined as wind speeds of 19–24mph (29–38kph)."

If you choose to fly in strong winds, keep in mind the Mavic will have a harder time flying back to the home point when flying into the wind. That means it'll require more battery power than usual and will possibly be pushed away from the home point if the wind is too strong.

I flew 4.3 km away over the sea down South with 35 km front wnid then received a message ''returning home due to battery'' Even hit a light rain on the way back and my bird Aigle doux came right back at me.

I guess if I had the opposite, front Wind on my way back, I would a need a snorkle to find his landind point ....or naufrage point !

I guess if I had the opposite, front Wind on my way back, I would a need a snorkle to find his landind point
Perhaps. I've reviewed many flight logs where that happened. Some people don't think of that scenario until it's too late.

You'd be better off by ignoring those app warnings and closely observing what the Mavic is doing instead. If it's doing things like flying slowly into a headwind or slowly drifting with the wind as it's hovering in place, then there's a great chance that the wind is too strong for flying. Unfortunately, there's no magic wind speed or app notification that's going to save you.

Reactions: zero1981

Couple of suggestions:

1. Know the expected wind before flying. It can be off by 100%, but is still better than nothing.

2. Evaluate / estimate the wind after takeoff. Fly a cross or a box, and note the speeds telemetered to the display. Differences in the reported numbers will allow you to make a rough estimate of speed & direction. Check hover rpm. If significantly above 600 or 650rpm, the mavic is working hard to stay in position. A hovering Mavic knows exactly what the wind is, but it doesn't tell you directly.

3. If possible, position yourself so you can fly upwind when outbound, downwind when returning. That way the wind will be helping you get the drone back.

4. Wind often increases with higher altitude.

4a. Wind increases where it flows over or around an obstruction (such as a ridge.)

5. Any wind, regardless of direction, acts to lengthen round-trip time.

I needed to fly in very poor conditions recently. Wind against me. Had to resort to sport mode to make any headway. But when in position the Mavic hovered like a rock. So much so that that the resulting pictures look like being on a tripod. I was in very open country and did not have to go any real distance
.It is a very good quadcopter IMO

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datkin