DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind setting for UAV app (and compared to others)

Drony_Drone

Reactions
I normally use UAV app as a guide for flying.

What do you set it for wind in UAV app? I know the mini 2 has 8.5-10.5 m/s (Scale 5) so there is a variance. I presume this means it can cope with 10.5m/s (23mph) wind? Also this is (10.7m/s) the same as Air 2S, that’s seems really good for the size of mini 2 that it can fly in same wind as 2S!

I know the mini 2 has 8.5-10.5 m/s (Scale 5) so there is a variance. I presume this means it can cope with 10.5m/s (23mph) wind? Also this is (10.7m/s) the same as Air 2S, that’s seems really good for the size of mini 2 that it can fly in same wind as 2S!
DJI's stated Max wind resistance (8.5-10.5 m/s (Scale 5) is almost meaningless.
It doesn't mean that your drone can fly anywhere in a 10.5 m/s wind.
Since the max speed in Normal Mode is 10 m/s, if you put it up and flew fast against a 10.5 m/s wind, it would slowly be blown backwards.

Giving a range 8.5-10.5 m/s is a bad translation.
In China it's common to express wind strength with reference to the old Beaufort Scale where wind strength is given as a range rather than discrete wind speeds.
The Scale 5 is the clue.
Beaufort force 5 is a wind of 8.7-10.8 m/s.

Giving a range 8.5-10.5 m/s is a bad translation.
In China it's common to express wind strength with reference to the old Beaufort Scale where wind strength is given as a range rather than discrete wind speeds.
The Scale 5 is the clue.
Beaufort force 5 is a wind of 8.7-10.8 m/s.
So that’s what DJI have done? They say scale 5, 8.5-10.5. In sport it can fly 16m/s so well above scale 5, force 5?

It’s a bit confusing all of it isn’t it!?! So what do you think I should put in UAV app for guidance. It says to include gusts so I was going to put in 22mph (10m/s).

Thanks

So that’s what DJI have done? They say scale 5, 8.5-10.5. In sport it can fly 16m/s so well above scale 5, force 5?
For all the other models, the quoted Max Wind Resistance is equal to the Max Speed in Normal Mode.
So it makes sense for that to be what they meant.
It’s a bit confusing all of it isn’t it!?!
It doesn't mean what many people think it does.
It's the max wind speed at which the drone can hold position in Normal Mode.
So what do you think I should put in UAV app for guidance. It says to include gusts so I was going to put in 22mph (10m/s).
I don't know that any number would really be helpful.
There's no single number that is good for fly/no fly decision making.
You need to consider:
How far do you intend flying
What direction is the wind blowing and how this impacts on your intended flight, particularly what effect it will have on your return home.

If you only want to go up 20 ft and hover for a picture, you can safely do it in a stronger wind than if you wanted to fly some distance downwind and then return home against a headwind.

Drop that special wind value in the UAV app that turns it red (not good to fly) ... you will never find one threshold that you always can say "it's safe". For instance... you fly in winds half of what your drone tops out, sounds safe doesn't it? But you fly downwind enjoying the scenery & the battery goes a bit to low. You turn around & faces the headwind which drains your battery down & you need to emergency land before reaching back to the HP.

You need to think logical about the possible risks in every flight & adjust direction to fly, height, distance & turn around battery in every single flight.

The UAV app provides only forecasts... they may not be valid just in the place where you fly. But it provides indications regarding how the differences in wind speed maybe change on height, store that in the back of your mind & make your own risk assessments before you take off... on every flight.

@Drony_Drone in all truthfulness apps like UAV forecast, and others of a similar ilk, are very much like the actual weather forecasts that we see on TV ,they are not really that accurate, for a particular area where you may want to fly ,they do give a predicted possible wind speed at different altitudes ,but they are a generalisation ,of what may or may not be a particular wind speed at a given height, and also wind speed and direction can change ,quite dramatically due to the terrain it is moving over.
you can get a much better idea of conditions for flying ,when you are at the place you wish to fly ,by looking at how much trees around are being blown around ,are birds struggling to make headway into the wind ,if near water what is the surface like ,and a really big no no ,if flying near the coast ,dont fly out over the ocean ,if the wind is coming from the shore,and if you really must, keep the drone as close to the shore as you can ,and make sure you have enough battery to get back home

Reactions: Dbez1
@Drony_Drone in all truthfulness apps like UAV forecast, and others of a similar ilk, are very much like the actual weather forecasts that we see on TV ,they are not really that accurate, for a particular area where you may want to fly ,they do give a predicted possible wind speed at different altitudes ,but they are a generalisation ,of what may or may not be a particular wind speed at a given height, and also wind speed and direction can change ,quite dramatically due to the terrain it is moving over.
you can get a much better idea of conditions for flying ,when you are at the place you wish to fly ,by looking at how much trees around are being blown around ,are birds struggling to make headway into the wind ,if near water what is the surface like ,and a really big no no ,if flying near the coast ,dont fly out over the ocean ,if the wind is coming from the shore,and if you really must, keep the drone as close to the shore as you can ,and make sure you have enough battery to get back home
I do this but its always, as you say, a guide to even know if its worth going and checking. They aren't too wrong, as in if it says its far too windy, then it probably is.

If its borderline, or says wind is high up too gusty., then there's a chance I can go, and evaluate myself as you say by looking around.

@Drony_Drone ,i have looked at the weather forecast and checked my apps before going out for a days flying ,to see what conditions are likely to be like ,at the area i intend to fly at ,and quite often, when i arrive at the place, the weather is nothing like what the forecast said it was going to be ,sometimes its better ,but more often than not it turns out to be either to windy ,or worse still raining heavily ,i have spent many an hour, sitting in my car ,waiting for conditions to improve
and managing to get a few flights in if i am lucky ,its part of the drone flying experience ,here in the UK ,but if i just relied on what was being forecast ,then i would have missed out on a lot of flying over the years

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS