DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind speed

johnsctt78

Reactions
Hi guys
What would you guys say is a safe max wind speed or gust to fly in. Since I bought my mavic the winds in the east coast have been around 11 to 18 mph

The Mavic manual recommends not flying in winds higher than 10 m/s (22 MPH).

Any speed that does not prevent the Mavic from making forward progress is safe. When flying in higher winds, it's a good idea to plan your flight so you can fly with the wind on the way back to the home point. Or at least keep your Mavic close so you have enough battery power to make it back to the home point.

Any speed that does not prevent the Mavic from making forward progress is safe. When flying in higher winds, it's a good idea to plan your flight so you can fly with the wind on the way back to the home point. Or at least keep your Mavic close so you have enough battery power to make it back to the home point.

Fair answer: take off 30 ft high, get the wind in your back, fly your drone 30 ft ahead, then try to fly back. If you drone can't easily fly back (at least 30% of his max speed), land and wait for a better day :) Each day is different !

Reactions: johnsctt78
I avoid flying in anything over 20 mph as a rule.

I live on the north east coast so we always have some kind of a breeze :)

Also as a tip I have a few flight locations I use so that my out bound flight is always against the wind so I have a tail wind on the return leg.

also remember... winds at higher levels are typically 10-15% higher.... even more if you have tall trees around you.. i.e. winds near surface could be 10 mph but 20 mph at 400 feet.

Reactions: johnsctt78
I've flown in 20+ winds with 28-30mph gusts with no problem but I would turn off obstacle avoidance the extra speed helps with wind.

Hi guys
What would you guys say is a safe max wind speed or gust to fly in. Since I bought my mavic the winds in the east coast have been around 11 to 18 mph

I use an app that gives me details of wind speed at different hight.

I normally draw the line at 15mph (ground level) but have flown in 20-25mph.

Put it up 10m and see how it behaves before going higher or further.

Sports mode is your best friend when flying in higher winds, I switch it on before take off.

Also if you are struggling against the wind drop your altitude and chances are will be easier.

Don't fly too far and be carefull with RTH altititude. You want it high enough to clear any obstacles but not overly high it exposes the craft to higher wind speeds if it should kick in.

When you are just starting out, it's a good idea not to fly in very strong wind. The guide/advice given by MavicHelp is a good one to follow.

However, the Mavic itself actually can handle itself pretty good in very strong wind. Just need to be extra careful when yawing in very strong wind. I once almost flipped the Mavic during yaw as the wind was very strong, gusts of over 60kph according to UAV Forecast.

All the advice above is valid. I will just add that I have been very impressed by the Mavic in high winds. I had to use sport mode one time to get it back but it handled it well.

I have flown in winds slightly above 20mph. While hovering in P GPS mode the Mavic will start to drift with distance increasing. Without using the sticks if I switch to sport mode the Mavic will fly back to the point it started hovering at. I don't fly to far away at those wind speeds. UAV Forecast seems really close to actual wind speeds!

Just downloaded

If you connect your drone it will do health checks on your batteries and other pre flight checks.

And on the first tab, create a new flight plan, even if you just create the area and put nothing in it - you’ll get a 7 day forecast. I really like where it says the best time of each day to fly. And the wind direction map is also useful.

It would seem that since the Mavic knows exactly what pitch and motor speed it is using to remain in position and hover a software algorithm could derive a pretty good estimate of the wind speed. Maybe in a future update :)

I haven’t flown my Inspire,P3, or P4 in a while, but it seems the MP and the Spark always has High Wind warnings show up on the app screen. I wonder if this is across all DJI products now ?.
I have to charge up the P4 and try it out soon.

F056AAB3-D2F1-48D2-9314-F86B5CC02745.png
It would seem that since the Mavic knows exactly what pitch and motor speed it is using to remain in position and hover a software algorithm could derive a pretty good estimate of the wind speed. Maybe in a future update :)

Air data-UAV, has that already but it does not always work

i am not a fan of uav forecast app. It typically overestimates the wind forecast which makes it unusable in many cases.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro