DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind speed

I use an app called "Ventusky" that gives wind speeds and direction at 10 meters, and 100 meters AGL that seems pretty accurate. It could give you valuable information about possible wind shear at your area of operation. It has other parameters selectable like temp, humidity, freezing level, etc. There is a free, and paid version. I've used it around the world and rely on it, but check it out and see what you think.

I can’t find the free version.

It's possible there in not a free version any longer. I cannot tell for sure. I've been using it for a few years. I can't even tell the current price since I already own it, that doesn't appear. It is rated 4.8/5 of 5 stars though, so you might read the reviews and decide if it might be worth it. I think it's amazing. It is world wide and tracks wave height & direction, clouds, humidity, air pressure and a few other values. There is a PC desktop version also.

The Drone is the best wind sensor! When it states high winds on controller beware and take care. I’d say don’t stray too far. Keep an eye on motor rpm! Common local weather works fine for me on expected wind speeds during the day. A few flyers on this site tend to over think things! This isn’t rocket science [emoji5]

Reactions: Gary Rowe
As has already been said - I use ‘UAV Forecast’ and ‘Windy’ Apps - both available on App Store.
Top Tip don’t fly a long way downwind if you can possibly help it - if you do and things look a bit iffy consider dropping to the lowest safe height and fly home in sports mode.

DJI Manual for the Mavic Pro Zoom states 'Max Wind speed resistance' (which I assume means - max. wind speed that the drone can make any headway into?) as 29 - 38 Km/hr ...
Translated, that's 18 to 23.5 miles per hour - or 8 to 10.5 metres/sec.
At these wind-speeds, it's going to be difficult to get your Mavic back to you if it gets down-wind. It's also going to be difficult to land, as it will try to keep nose down and throttle on to keep it's vertical position until it hits ground, but as soon as the torque comes off the motors, the Mavic will be flipped backwards.
View attachment 57426 A useful addition to the flying bag ...
Thanks for that anemometer suggestion, I just ordered one. That will be a welcomed addition to my tool bag. Happy New Year! From Music City Nashville, TN. area

In Australia we have detailed hourly wind speed forecast for 2 days and daily for a week available on the CASA "Can I fly there" app. I presume this uses the same data as supplied to all aviation.

I like the app 'UAV Forecast'. It has a Wind Profile tab that shows estimates of wind velocity at various altitudes (AGL). I just fired up the app and the main page is showing wind speed of 9 mph with gusts up to 18 mph at the surface. Checking the Wine Profile tab, at just 100 feet the wind is 12 mph with gusts to 26 mph. At 250 feet it's currently 15 mph and 32 mph. At 500 feet it's currently 18 mph and 36 mph.

Not a good day to fly (above about 50-100 feet) at my house.

Mark
That is a nice app, I just downloaded within 10 seconds have the info to make a decision.

DJI Manual for the Mavic Pro Zoom states 'Max Wind speed resistance' (which I assume means - max. wind speed that the drone can make any headway into?) as 29 - 38 Km/hr ...
Translated, that's 18 to 23.5 miles per hour - or 8 to 10.5 metres/sec.
At these wind-speeds, it's going to be difficult to get your Mavic back to you if it gets down-wind. It's also going to be difficult to land, as it will try to keep nose down and throttle on to keep it's vertical position until it hits ground, but as soon as the torque comes off the motors, the Mavic will be flipped backwards.
View attachment 57426 A useful addition to the flying bag ...
If you need that its to windy...

Reactions: FoxhallGH
My definition of "acceptable" is surface gusts of no greater than 15mph (measured with my anemometer) , no altitude greater than 150 ft with such winds, and fly ONLY upwind with such winds. Outside of those parameters is an absolute "no-fly" for me.

Great stuff but I couldn't see the data at different heights...
I'm seeing an icon at the top right, showing a height above ground (a stack of squares). If you touch that, you can then select what height your stat's are showing for.
The web based app' is easier to manage ... Weather Forecast Maps

Personally I prefer flying in wind speeds at 10 Mph (16 Km/H) or less. I have an accurate Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station with the anemometer mounted at 30 feet (10 Meters). I can tell at a glance what the wind speed is around my property. I also have a hand held anemometer for when I'm flying in other locations away from home.

I can handle higher speeds. I've flown with gusts up to 30 Mph (50 Km/H). I have a Phantom 4 that I've managed to get up to 67 MPH (108 KM/H) with a good tail wind.

The main thing I don't like about flying with higher wind speeds is the stupid wind warning that pops up on the screen incessantly during flight. I'd love to be able to turn it off.

I’ll fly my M2P vertical to about 300’, I live in the country no airport, etc. , and observe if I get any high wind/velocity notices on my CS. If not it’s a good day to fly. Motor torque used for wind velocity notice. I also watch motor rpm If there is high winds I fly into it for tailwind back and allow for extra battery percent just in case. I learned after I barely made it back one day! Landed at 3%. I was sweating bulkets

I looked back through my Airdata logs. The highest inflight was 13.3 average with gusts of 32.5. It handled perfectly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinstonH