DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind speed

13mph is definitely not a problem for an M2. Even if that's wind sheltered area, the M2 can fly as fast as 40mph, though that is in sport mode and the winds probably won't be nearly that bad. Probably a good place to get the feel of its stability.

But try to start your flight against the wind so that you're with the wind coming back.

I had a scare once with my P3 at a park/pier that tends to be windy. Flying over the gulf, got an alert of prop obstruction/prop loose. However I quickly realized my FPV view was still live and perfectly stable. Likely a wind draft had one pair of props struggle and the other pair "assisted" by the wind, fooling the system.

Yeah, but that's sort of like that other dumb statement, No Pain - No Gain.
I prefer No Pain... No Pain ! Where is the glory in a costly drone at the bottom of a lake just because you had to show you had some guts?
In flying there should never be a No Guts, No Glory sort of attitude, common sense and safety should always prevail. Leave the guts and glory stuff to people who get paid to do that sort of stuff.
Then don't fly it a simple choice you don't have to take notice of anyone, get of the fence, use your own mind.

Reactions: Dan C
That is my advice exactly, think and weight up the consequences before a risky flight. In real flying you should never be a risky pilot, because that is just being a stupid pilot. Flying toys though, do what your finances dictate, it's that simple, but always think of the safety of others below your flight path.

Ah, Grasshopper. Everything has risk.

The true question is only, how risk-averse are you ?
I believe you are missing the point here, it is not about me, I didn't ask the question, it is the OP that you need to address.

Just remember that it is better being on the ground wishing you were in the air, than being in the air wishing you were on the ground!

Reactions: Drgnfli
Hi all.. Newbie here.. Been flying my Mavic Air for 3 weeks now.. Currently at a friend's cottage. Wind is 13 mph and I'm thinking of flying to a little island.. See pic... Is the wind to strong? Should I risk it?
Id risk it...with your drone. :). Be sure to post pics/video.

Hi all.. Newbie here.. Been flying my Mavic Air for 3 weeks now.. Currently at a friend's cottage. Wind is 13 mph and I'm thinking of flying to a little island.. See pic... Is the wind to strong? Should I risk it?
Again, as I said earlier.... freshly charged full battery, fly out against the wind and fly back with it. Watch battery life closely and don’t fly too close to the water. Aborting in mid flight is better than a water crash. Dawn or Dusk may help to minimize wind. See my post above for other recommendations.

Is the wind really 13, or are you guessing, are you using a wind meter at your location or an app, Only a wind meter at your location will give you an acute wind speed. Is the wind steady or gusting. a 13 mph wind could have gust 5 mph higher. So... 13 is pretty windy for the air but not out of the question to fly in. Dont fly to far downwind as the drone will have a slower ground speed going agains the wind, which could be a problem flying back to you if the battery gets too low. The drone will track pretty straight in high winds, but remember if you are flying around trees, branches move in the wind.

Funny that almost everyone with a considered response assumed you had an M2P for some inexplicable reason, yet you clearly state a Mavic Air.
As a person who read your post properly I would suggest, as others did, that you get UAV Forecast (either the app/website or both) and check the wind conditions before you fly.
I also see that you have flown now, so this comment is all by-the-by now! Fly safe, have fun!

Oh this is cool! I may need one... I wonder where I aught to mount it that it wont be noticed by the sensors
This is cool but if your drone goes underwater will it ever work again or will you just be recovering a paperweight?

This is cool but if your drone goes underwater will it ever work again or will you just be recovering a paperweight?
The latter in practically all cases. But at least you have the hulk for DJICare or use of non-water sensitive pieces.

I use the app Windy for good wind forecasts and real-time site wind info.

Remember the the winds aloft can be substantially higher than at ground level. Also, flying in wind can deplete your flight battery quicker. In a hover over the same spot on the ground on a windy day, the aircraft would be drawing as much energy as it would be when flying at a speed equal to the speed of the wind. Flying into (against) the wind, the drone will be drawing as much energy as it would when flying at a speed equal to the wind speed (relative to the ground) plus the drone's air speed (relative to the wind), so it will be drawing more energy than it’s apparent ground speed would imply.

In general, if you can plan the flight accordingly, it is safest to fly into (against) the wind to fly toward your destination and return to home flying with the wind. Whether you reach your destination or not, start back with at least half a battery (50%) left and you should make it back home with a reserve.

Last edited:
I use the app Windy for good wind forecasts and real-time site wind info.

Remember the the winds aloft can be substantially higher than at ground level. Also, flying in wind can deplete your flight battery quicker. In a hover over the same spot on the ground, the aircraft would be drawing as much energy as it would flying at the speed of the wind. Flying into the wind to get back to you, it would be drawing as much as the wind speed (relative to the ground) plus its air speed (relative to the wind), so it will be drawing more energy than it’s apparent ground speed would imply.

If you can plan the flight accordingly, it is safest to fly into the wind to get to your destination and return to home flying with the wind. Start back with at least half a battery left.

I'll have to check "Windy," haven't heard of that one. I like "Dark Sky" - it has all kinds of info & I have found it to be accurate with wind & temperature. "UAV Forecast" is good to check higher altitudes but I have found it is not always as accurate as "Dark Sky."

I'll have to check "Windy," haven't heard of that one. I like "Dark Sky" - it has all kinds of info & I have found it to be accurate with wind & temperature. "UAV Forecast" is good to check higher altitudes but I have found it is not always as accurate as "Dark Sky."
I'll have to look over Dark Sky. I've been using UAV forecast and Ventusky.

I have a Kestrel 5500 and while it's a nice piece of equipment, I know when or when not to fly. I just understand that in most cases during windy days the speed at other altitudes can be quite different. Wind can be unpredictable at times and I fly with respect to that.

A digital anemometer is a good thing to have in the backpack. It’s not 100% but it gives you a hint if it’s calm enough to fly. Higher up there is ofcourse more wind to fight against, but it’s a hint. https://www.amazon.com/Proster-Anemometer-Measurement-Thermometer-Windsurfing/dp/B00KYL3VNS

I have an inexpensive (< $30) anemometer and have used it on occasion, but mostly for my fixed-wing opps and because I’m a geek. I try to fly my commercial multi-rotor opps in the early morning or late evening before the wind picks up. Not having to fly in high winds is one less thing to have to worry about.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD