DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind tolerance does not mean immunity - my first close call.

This is a great example of even experienced pilots need to take into consideration wind factors.
In a situation like yours how to prevent this sometimes is tricky.

When you have tailwind or heavy tailwind the app will not tell you all the time when this happened. The drone will be able to archive the maximum speed in each mode (Normal, Sport) however, a good way to know if you have some or strong tailwind is using the sport mode in and use a full stick and if you see the drone exceeding for few seconds the max speed and then going back to max speed, that tells you you have some tailwind. The drone will not use too much battery when you have tailwind but will burn a lot once you are coming back to headwinds.

Another thing we need to mention; you are lucky you were able to land your drone in the distance without losing the video feed. Not everybody has that luck. Normally when people try to land the drone and they get obstruction they lost the video feed when this happened you really don't know if the drone actually landed and where. The biggest problem is that when you lose that connection, the drone will go RTH and you will lose track from where is it and will change completely the place where you think it landed. If you need to land the drone in an emergency because you know you are not going to make it, I recommend changing your home point manually in the map to an area you know you can recover the drone and once you do that then click return to home. In this way, the drone will land in your desired spot even if you lost the video signal. Now very important, do not wait until you have a 10% battery to do this since the drone will start going down automatically. I recommend people practice this procedure of manually change the home point many times and do not wait to learn this when you really needed since this will take time to do the first time learning. I can do this in less than 15 seconds since I practice this a lot.

I glad you were able to recover your drone safely. Will be interesting to see your video if you have it from that experience and also the flying log.
Exactly.
I’ve tested the concept a couple of times for “remote” landing. I agree that we need to practice the maneuver so that it’s second nature.
To simulate the situation, I took off 2000 feet from my house. I’m out in the boonies with 20 acres. Then flew over my driveway, and with gimbal down, selected my landing site. I then set the home point, and hit RTH. On the way down I lost contact. I then drove home to find the AC where it was supposed to be.
I’m fortunate to have a relatively safe environment to test it. Not sure if I’d do it in the city with houses, people and cars around.

Reactions: Thomas B and Chip
I have created this video few weeks ago to explain the concept.

I know that story and watched the video before ever getting my drone. It was "Ian in London", who is actually a forum member here (same name). I believe it is something that's been patched since then. But yes, to be safe, if the drone has any power left, people should kill rotors to ensure it stays put.

I actually lost signal just after the camera automatically switched to facing forwards (from looking downwards) as it made the final descent. I'm not 100% sure if it's because power ran out, or low altitude meant too much interference between me and the drone. I would guess the latter.
Not sure what you mean about killing motors since it does that (or is supposed to) upon landing. If you then try to stop them when they're already stopped, which I assume you're referring to use of CSC, you'll actually start them.

Using CSC is how I almost always take off so I can control getting off the ground at the height and rate I want.

I find the MM1 is too sensitive to wind warnings. If I can fly into the wind and achieve 3mph and not even half stick, there's no immediate danger from wind as the warning has you believe.

The biggest mistake I can see is not allowing it to initiate RTH when it informed you it wants to. This is different from the general low battery warning.
Billy Kyle made that mistake with his M2P flying over the Long Island Sound. He was able to continue flying for 2 minutes more than when it hit 0% but he was still about 100ft short from an emergency landing spot he found.

Based on the speeds you indicated, that didn't seem to be that significant. I suspect you would have made it if you had not ignored the call for RTH.

Reactions: Heindrich1988
Your story is all to real and a warning to the rest of us. It is so easy to miscalculate these things. While DJI is making drones that can withstand some pretty good winds, they do so by increasing motor power and pitch angle. What we have to recognize is that when our little drones are cutting through the wind they can burn up a lot of battery power very quickly which will often substantially decrease the flight time.

How far were you from the hotel? How far out had you sent your drone?

Reactions: Heindrich1988
Yeah, what caught me out on this occasion was that I didn't get any wind warnings as I flew around the lake. I didn't even get any warnings on the way back, which was a bit strange as at one point, my max speed (on Normal mode) was reduced to just 25km/h. In the past, if I see a strong wind warning, I stop whatever I'm doing and reduce altitude and check that I can fly home. The lack of warnings on this occasion is what led to my false sense of safety.
I hope you switched into sport mode when you saw you could only reach 25km/hrs?

The thing I really like about this forum is we all learn 'only' when other people openly admit mistakes, misjudgements, or mis- calculations. The stellar response from the community makes it a safe place to do so. I'd imagine there'd be a lot more wrecked drones without the insights from this forum. I for one, really appreciated it when (similar to above) other members cut into the story and give suggestions at different critical points of a flight/malfunction/situation. The opportunity to learn here is A+. Thank you.

I glad you were able to recover your drone safely. Will be interesting to see your video if you have it from that experience and also the flying log.

Firstly, sorry for taking a while to reply. I had a busy day or two and didn't get around to sitting down and writing proper responses to everyone. I'll try to multi-quote to avoid spamming the forum all at once.

Secondly, I'm going to be honest about the circumstances of my mishap, even though I know my actions would be frowned upon by many in this community.

So, to answer @zeusfl ... I actually forgot to hit record when I took off (doh!) so I have no footage directly from the drone. I do have some screen recording that I will not share, because the truth is that I was doing a range test that day. Although I live in an area of China where drone regulation is very relaxed, flying so obviously beyond VLOS is not technically allowed by the CAAC (China's FAA). For the same reason, I won't share the flight logs, because I more or less know my mistake, and I'd rather not leave evidence of behaviour that is far from typical for me.

Do I strictly obey the VLOS rule? Honestly, no... I'm not sure how that's even possible in a practical sense. But I do the vast majority of my flying in theoretical visual range (direct line of sight between drone and controller) and within 1km. I do consider myself a careful pilot and make the extra effort to find suitable locations to fly from to minimize the risk of accidents.

The reason I was doing a range test on this occasion was that I recently discovered that I had been holding my controller wrong up till now, which explained why I experienced connection problems well short of the advertised range in the past. I assumed it was just interference from my urban-ish environment and didn't think much of it. When I discovered my mistake, I was immediately curious just how far my drone could go in my environment. In addition, I've seen FCC vs CE mentioned a lot here. I bought my drone in China, which didn't label my drone as either FCC or CE, so I wanted to find out which version mine was.

I believe the route I chose mitigated the bulk of the risk to third parties. Namely, I flew off the roof of my 30 storey apartment, which is tall enough to provide direct line of sight facing south further than the potential range of my drone. Furthermore, once I reach the shore of Songshan Lake 2km away, the majority of the flight is above water, so there's little risk of third party injury or property damage. Finally, before I took off, I already decided that if there was any doubt about whether I could make it back to my roof, I will land either on an island in the lake (if I was well short), or the hotel that I did land at.

At no point was I going to risk my drone limping back to my high rise neighbourhood through an urban area and risk it crashing onto people/roads/homes. Was I as prepared as I should have been? No, I wasn't planning to push my drone to its limit, so I didn't scout the hotel in advance to check for ideal landing spots. I just knew that it was very easy to spot from the air thanks to its swimming pool.

Not sure what you mean about killing motors since it does that (or is supposed to) upon landing. If you then try to stop them when they're already stopped, which I assume you're referring to use of CSC, you'll actually start them.

Ah yes, you're right. I confused myself because in my situation, I lost connection on the final descent, so I didn't have confirmation that the drone landed and the rotors switched off.

Based on the speeds you indicated, that didn't seem to be that significant. I suspect you would have made it if you had not ignored the call for RTH.

As mentioned above, I decided that if in doubt, I would land at the lakeside hotel instead of risking a flight through an urban area back to my roof. Too many things could go wrong. I'm glad I made that call, because even if my drone limped back to building, it definitely did not have enough power left to maintain the altitude to land on the roof. It shocked me how fast the final 15% bled out as I looked for a good landing spot at the hotel.

How far were you from the hotel? How far out had you sent your drone?

I was 2km from the hotel. My drone had reached 9km when I turned around with 55% battery left.

I hope you switched into sport mode when you saw you could only reach 25km/hrs?

I did not, because it was only momentary. As soon as I reduced altitude, I was achieving around 35km/h or more most of the time. The main problem wasn't speed, it was the fact that the battery was draining much faster than I expected.

In the range test linked below, Dustin turned around at 49% and got home with 13% battery. I thought that DJI designed the batteries to give pilots a little extra juice in an emergency, like how a car will run for a while longer after the fuel meter hits zero. In hindsight, Dustin must have been flying into the wind on the way out and had the wind behind him on the way back. I also misremembered the range he achieved... I thought he flew for 6 miles. Had I known that he turned around just before 8km, I definitely wouldn't have pushed it that much further!

Reactions: zeusfl
Yeah, what caught me out on this occasion was that I didn't get any wind warnings as I flew around the lake. I didn't even get any warnings on the way back, which was a bit strange as at one point, my max speed (on Normal mode) was reduced to just 25km/h. In the past, if I see a strong wind warning, I stop whatever I'm doing and reduce altitude and check that I can fly home. The lack of warnings on this occasion is what led to my false sense of safety.
Just glad that you made it - you're clearly doing everything you can to be safe and have fun - after all, fun is what it's about for most of us...

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123