DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind turbines part two...

Porky

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I went back to the same wind farm last night for some dusk shots. No wind this time so everything was going my way for once, then for some unknown reason all the turbines stopped spinning??

After a couple of minutes some restarted ?? so I carried on with my mission.

All photos were taken in raw mode, I used a ND16 grad filter to see if I would balance things out.

One photo with the blades turning, another just starting and the last one the blades were stationary.

04519BDD-7B46-4539-B549-1B9CE49DE40A.jpeg

7EB64883-CDC8-41C4-A6B3-99BBEEF4CB18.jpeg

45C4AEF8-108B-464E-B529-F952BA93A8A0.jpeg

I think the last photo is the best, in my old eyes??

I went back to the same wind farm last night for some dusk shots. No wind this time so everything was going my way for once, then for some unknown reason all the turbines stopped spinning??

All photos were taken in raw mode, I used a ND16 grad filter to see if I would balance things out.

One photo with the blades turning, another just starting and the last one the blades were stationary.

View attachment 70241

View attachment 70242

View attachment 70243

nice pics son sky
looks great

Reactions: Porky
Nice. Need to get a turbine or two under my belt :)

Yea was thinking the same. Next time I go south

Wow! Those are stunning. Love the color you were able to capture in the sky. I’ll have to find some wind turbines around here. They make great subjects!

nice pics son sky
looks great

Awesome pictures all three of them but the second is my favorite.

Thanks guys and dad for your likes, ?just thought it would different at dusk compared to my normal daytime photo I took. I wanted to try to get the turbines blurred but it was quite hard when they kept stopping ??

Might go back for more one day, you never know??

Reactions: old man mavic

View attachment 70241

View attachment 70242

View attachment 70243

Very Nice pics!

Reactions: Porky

View attachment 70241

View attachment 70242

View attachment 70243

Great shots! One of my bucket list items is to take some video & photos of wind turbines in Washington State near the Columbia River. There are about 200 of these wind turbines. There is a public lookout point along the highway & was planning to take off from there (see photo). The lookout point is usually empty because vehicles go down the highway so fast that before they notice it they've passed! I've since taken a look at AirMap & FAA's B4UFLY apps & the only restriction I see is an FDC 4/0811 Special Notice stating that "pilots are strongly advised to avoid the airspace above, or in proximity to such sites as power plants (nuclear, hydro-electric, or coal), dams, refineries, industrial complexes, military facilities & other similar facilites." There is a dam about 7 miles away.

Would wind turbines fall into any of these categories? In the B4UFLY app after I entered the lookout point and filled out all the usual questions, I got an okay (check mark) along with a "use caution check restrictions" message. I'm from Canada & registered my M2P with the FAA. Just making sure I've got all bases covered.

Last question, has anyone ever encountered any controller interference when flying around & above these wind turbines. I don't plan on getting too close to these things (+100 feet away & above) because I've heard of turbulence & vortex issues.

Attachments

• IMG_8169.PNG
    IMG_8169.PNG
    9.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members