DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind warning + RTH

I think you are missing my point... The generic statement I made was a call to those who make comparisons to INCLUDE that information as to QUANTIFY comparative information as that might be critical to making the right purchase decisions. Of all the things I wish that I had known prior to buying the Mini is what the limitations are flying into headwinds compared to, in my case the MA2. I really like the MM and so far am ok with the video resolution for my current purposes. But knowing what I know now in regard to wind resistance, max speeds against wind etc knowing me I probably would have chosen differently. That's all.
I'm in the same boat as you are feeling that wind resistance is a limiting factor. However if money is not a problem, my next drone will be an M2Z or M2P rather than MA2. No point having going mid when you already have the MM for portable function. M2Z can give dolly function while M2P beats MA2 in camera quality while both are wind resistant. Why go for MA2 other than price?

I think you are missing my point... The generic statement I made was a call to those who make comparisons to INCLUDE that information as to QUANTIFY comparative information as that might be critical to making the right purchase decisions. Of all the things I wish that I had known prior to buying the Mini is what the limitations are flying into headwinds compared to, in my case the MA2. I really like the MM and so far am ok with the video resolution for my current purposes. But knowing what I know now in regard to wind resistance, max speeds against wind etc knowing me I probably would have chosen differently. That's all.

Perhaps if you had to do the tests before you were allowed to buy the MA2 instead of being able to buy it and trusted to learn the stuff afterwards it wouldn't be an issue :)

If you didn't understand when the wind is 10MPH a drone with 9MPH top speed will get blown away at 1MPH, a drone with an 11MPH top speed will manage 1MPH towards home etc, maybe those doing comparisons could have stressed it better. But there is no such thing as "wind resistance" when flying
Yes, on the ground with the motors off there is a wind which overcome the friction between the drone's feet and the ground. If we double all the drone's dimensions it presents 4 times the area to the wind, but has 8 times the volume, which we expect to mean 8 times the weight. So the bigger implies harder to shift.
When you are sitting on, or moving through the air and the air is moving over the ground either you can go through the air faster than it is going over the ground (and by enough) or you can't. Whatever the craft the faster it goes the less it affected by current.

@Bloodied_Mini see above - there is no such thing as a "Wind resistance" only speed. The faster it flies the less difference wind makes. But faster implies heavier which implies, extra regulations to comply with.

Oher suggestions:

1. In your preflight planning, plan to takeoff from a point that is downwind of your point of interest - be facing the wind as you look toward your POI. This way the drone’s RTH route is with the wind, so the wind will help the drone RTH.

2.Launch from your POI to minimize your flying.

3. Don’t fly beyond your actual VLOS.

4. Don’t fly in high winds.

I'm in the same boat as you are feeling that wind resistance is a limiting factor. However if money is not a problem, my next drone will be an M2Z or M2P rather than MA2. No point having going mid when you already have the MM for portable function. M2Z can give dolly function while M2P beats MA2 in camera quality while both are wind resistant. Why go for MA2 other than price?

I don't disagree with you at all. The M2's are getting a bit aged in "technology years". Could we see them at reduced prices in the future? Camera quality of the MA2 is more than enough for me so I'd be looking for a baragain with one of the M2's. But right now, under $1000 for the MA2 flymore kit is a pretty good deal for a hobbiest/prosumer. Once beyond that level in the DJI lineup the price jumps up significantly. The one feature that I think I'd want is the ability to angle the camera left and right. I'm trying to figure out if I can get the MM to "crab" in the air for that effect.

Perhaps if you had to do the tests before you were allowed to buy the MA2 instead of being able to buy it and trusted to learn the stuff afterwards it wouldn't be an issue :)

That would be nice to be able to do tests. But, I know nobody personally who I could contact who has a drone that I could even go watch fly, let alone test one myself. It was all stabbing in the wind. I haven't even had the opportunity to see someone fly one. And trust me, in absence of that and any personal experience I did my due diligences as best as I could, watching literally dozens of drone reviews. None of them really emphasized drone power vs wind speed. Let's just leave it at that. I remain steadfast in my position that if wind stability and ability to move against the wind had more emphasis in reviews I suggest that it might change many purchase outcomes.

Reactions: BadWolf1

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb