DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind

markj4

Reactions
I live in Kansas and wind is constant around here. When I get the high wind warning I immediately land. Am I being too cautious?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: feno_thedon
You have to be the one that decides if it is too windy or if there are wind gusts that may be too much to handle.

Being cautious is a good thing Thumbswayup

It is never a good idea to fly in the wind....... But are we talking wind or breezy...... If you Mavic is telling you that it is windy.... It is probably too windy to fly "safely"

Oh, and welcome to the Forum markj4 :cool:

You can NEVER be too cautious. Everyone's opinion on how much wind is too much wind will be different. If you felt at that time that the wind was too strong for your comfort level of flying, then land it.

For me, I'm comfortable flying in winds up to 25 mph. However, I'm always at relatively closer distances than normal AND in a LARGE open area with NO ONE around.

I live in Kansas and wind is constant around here. When I get the high wind warning I immediately land. Am I being too cautious?

There is no reason to land it if you get the wind warning. If you're worried about the winds then keep it within VLOS so you can use the sport mode if it starts drifting away.

Thanks for the input. Around here gusts are my concern. I get the warning at altitude even when at ground level wind is around 10 mph.

I had my drone about 1/2 mile away and it told me high winds. When I tried to return home, it went up to 300 feet and started beeping, and stayed there. I cancelled return to home and tried to fly it manual back it wouldn't come, I started to panic. Luckily I had about 15 mins of battery left: I discovered it wouldn't fly directly into the wind, but I ended up zig zagging back and forth like a sailboat to get it back to home. I don't don't know how high the winds were, but its no joke to fool with the winds, for a couple of minutes I had though bye bye drone. I will not do that again.

I have found the wind warnings to be a bit oversensitive. If I landed every time I got a wind warning, I'd never fly. Use common sense, and mind which direction the wind is blowing. I always use my first battery as a "shakedown" flight to make sure everything is working OK and to test conditions at various altitudes.

I've found the Mavic to perform quite well in even higher winds.. just use common sense and don't fly out with the wind and back against it.. do it the other way around if you can.

These videos may boost your confidence:

DJI seem to not bother documenting Go4 but there are 2 levels of wind warning. The first is the little info bar that pops up advising of strong wind with the X you can close if you want.
The higher level warning is across the top where it displays things like aircraft disconnected, low battery etc.

Personally i see the lower level waring most flights and its never been an issue - just take care that you can get home. When the higher level one appears i do start to have issues flying against the wind or it drifts a bit so i'll generally lower it or land for that.

try to know the sustained winds at elevation if possible. as long as they are a good percentage less than the max flight speed (roughly 40 mph in sport), you can fight your way home if need be in sport mode. obviously you also need to keep the distance a bit closer than if it was calm so that you have battery to make it happen.

winds aloft can obviously be very different than those at lower altitudes, so if you can reduce the altitude when winds suddenly pick up sustained, you can have a better chance of getting home.

if you set the low batt to RTH and at the lowest altitude that you think is safe to get over obstacles, then you can feel pretty safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard